Light-O-Rama Forums

Chavuet Fog Machine 1300

caniac

caniac wrote:

jabbusch wrote:
caniac wrote:
sent two of those to a "board member" months ago and have yet to hear back. don't know if they are just that complicated to rewire or if I just gave someone free remotes.

Well, I was unaware there was a board of directors involved; do you mean the LOR forum has a board or are you speaking of some other organization?
another member of this message board. Said he could rewire them and it would only take a weekend. that was months ago.

Okay sorry, I obviously misunderstood entirely! But to be clear, I haven’t rewired anything either; I simply generated a schematic of the FC-T controller, analyzed how it functions and then ran some tests to verify my circuit analysis was correct. I still have a few more tests to complete. If it all tests well, then I’ll address designing a new control interface. But I’m not there yet either.

John

jabbusch wrote:

caniac wrote:
well i got the 1300 mainly because of output and have a second one on order.  also got the wireless remotes but if one of you guys that are handy and want to fix the wired remotes so they will work with the LOR i will gladly send them your way, pay shipping, etc.  that would be my preferred method then i could fire them thru the sequence.

Caniac and khawes, 

1.    In an effort to understand how we can produce an adaptor to operate the Chauvet Hurricane 1300 using a normal LOR controller, I've completed much of the schematic diagram and analysis for the FC-T wired remote supplied with the Chauvet Hurricane 1300; I'm writing up a brief theory of operation narrative and a block diagram if you're still interested.

2.    I can say that I now understand why so many have written in these forums that they either do not understand the operation of the FC-T or believe it does not function properly: The manufacturer would have done everyone a service had they used more descriptive labels for the pushbuttons and the LED indicators. Incidentally, the FC-T that I disassembled to analyze does work properly; I just needed to understand the circuitry so I could appreciate that fact.

3.    I should have something preliminary ready this week.

John

Thank you for your hard work!
Your comments in #2 have me all curious. :)

khawes wrote:

jabbusch wrote:
caniac wrote:
well i got the 1300 mainly because of output and have a second one on order. also got the wireless remotes but if one of you guys that are handy and want to fix the wired remotes so they will work with the LOR i will gladly send them your way, pay shipping, etc. that would be my preferred method then i could fire them thru the sequence.

Caniac and khawes,

1. In an effort to understand how we can produce an adaptor to operate the Chauvet Hurricane 1300 using a normal LOR controller, I've completed much of the schematic diagram and analysis for the FC-T wired remote supplied with the Chauvet Hurricane 1300; I'm writing up a brief theory of operation narrative and a block diagram if you're still interested.

2. I can say that I now understand why so many have written in these forums that they either do not understand the operation of the FC-T or believe it does not function properly: The manufacturer would have done everyone a service had they used more descriptive labels for the pushbuttons and the LED indicators. Incidentally, the FC-T that I disassembled to analyze does work properly; I just needed to understand the circuitry so I could appreciate that fact.

3. I should have something preliminary ready this week.

John

Thank you for your hard work!
Your comments in #2 have me all curious. :)

I'm working on a small guide that will, I believe, better explain the functions of the controls and indicators on the FC-T wired remote from Chauvet; I'll let you know when I complete it if you're interested.

It's not difficult at all to hack the Chauvet Hurricane 1300's FC-T remote to control it with a LOR channel

Here's a link to a post with pics of my conversion. Nothing fancy involved, two solder joints in the FC-T itself.

http://holidayuniversity.com/forums/index.php/topic,29.msg1191.html#msg1191

Working with the FC-T remote does not have to be confusing or electrically challenging if you can perform 2 solder connections.

• 9 months later...

Caniac,

Just ran a test of my prototype LOR-> Chauvet 1300 Fog Generator adaptor; worked well. I have some other tests to verify low CEMF, de-bouncing, etc. but I feel fairly confident the basic simple design is sound.

The unit simply plugs into the 1300 at the Manual Remote control connector (Circular DIN 5 Pin) and then a circuit from an LOR controller plugs into the other end. I wanted to avoid modifying the original equipment you may recall.

We've been very busy at the office since the end of last year, but I should have more prototypes done early by summer. Looks like LOR fog this Halloween!

Interested in testing a prototype or do you just want plans for building your own?

John

jabbusch wrote:

Caniac,

Just ran a test of my prototype LOR-> Chauvet 1300 Fog Generator adaptor; worked well. I have some other tests to verify low CEMF, de-bouncing, etc. but I feel fairly confident the basic simple design is sound.

The unit simply plugs into the 1300 at the Manual Remote control connector (Circular DIN 5 Pin) and then a circuit from an LOR controller plugs into the other end. I wanted to avoid modifying the original equipment you may recall.

We've been very busy at the office since the end of last year, but I should have more prototypes done early by summer. Looks like LOR fog this Halloween!

Interested in testing a prototype or do you just want plans for building your own?

John
i would be ok with testing, no plans to build my own.

Caniac,

Okay, I think I can easily get a prototype to you in the next couple of months to test, but I had the impression you also wanted to use something of the sort in your show. It's really simple, most anyone could make one I think.

John

jabbusch wrote:

Caniac,

Okay, I think I can easily get a prototype to you in the next couple of months to test, but I had the impression you also wanted to use something of the sort in your show. It's really simple, most anyone could make one I think.

John
would rather pay someone to do that for me or trade sequences.

Caniac,

I understand; perhaps if the prototype is useful to you, I could give it to you for parts cost or some similar arrangement in return for testing feedback.

John

jabbusch wrote:

Caniac,

I understand; perhaps if the prototype is useful to you, I could give it to you for parts cost or some similar arrangement in return for testing feedback.

John

not a problem, whatever you feel is fair. have two 1300's for my show but may only use one. maybe some sort of trade. how far are you from Wendell/Raleigh?

Caniac,

My home is about 45 minutes from Raleigh but my office is in Cary. Sure we can work it out.

John

I would be interested in the prototype, not sure I have the time these days to build on on my own. Not to mention my lack of soldering skills :P

Thanks!

Keith,

Okay, as I told Caniac I'm tied up for some weeks but I feel I can have some things completed within the coming two months.

I'll let you know. Do you plan using it for Halloween?

John

jabbusch wrote:

Caniac,

My home is about 45 minutes from Raleigh but my office is in Cary. Sure we can work it out.

John
thanks!! just let me know the who what where or when.

jabbusch wrote:

Keith,

Okay, as I told Caniac I'm tied up for some weeks but I feel I can have some things completed within the coming two months.

I'll let you know. Do you plan using it for Halloween?

John

Yes, I would use it for Halloween. I made due with the timer last year - thanks to your excellent documentation of how the timer works.

Keith,
Thanks for the kind words, but of course the documentation I sent to you was just a draft form: and thank you for the suggestions you provided for improvement. I will incorporate your ideas into the final draft, if I may ever complete the final draft!

John

• 2 months later...

Caniac and Khawes:

Successful test of the LOR to Chauvet 1300 controller end to end today; still many things to do in terms of monitoring the signals to verify that I’m not getting any (or little) CEMF spikes, but I’ll be ordering the prototype parts tomorrow. I’ll pass on more information to those who were interested then.

John

Edited by jabbusch
  • Like 1

LOR-to Chauvet 1300 Fog Generator Adaptor Prototype

(Khawes and Caniac)

Attached are two photos of the completed LOR-Chauvet control adaptor which will permit controlling the fog generators from within an LOR sequence; I thought you might be curious to see it.

The operation is simple: the power cord is connected to any available LOR AC channel circuit (represented by the yellow power cord in the second photo) and the circular 5 Pin DIN connector is inserted into the Manual Remote connector on the Chauvet 1300.

When the corresponding LOR channel is 100% on, the fog machine produces fog as long as the channel is energized within the limits of the fog generator's ability to maintain a "ready" state.

post-4206-0-29050600-1343662635_thumb.jp

LOR to Chauvet 1300 adaptor in the off state

post-4206-0-87964800-1343662648_thumb.jp

LOR-Chauvet 13300 adaptor in the on (energized) state