Light-O-Rama Forums

A DUHHH Moment!!

Ron Amedee

I thought the CCR's were expensive at $249.00 each. After designing my display and building a few elements..One element cost over $500.00 to go 16 channels and only two colors with pro grade LED's. That element could not be done with CCR's yet I will definitly look into CCR's for the Facia's and other long runs.

Thought i read only 6 CCR's per network, So i guess start over with the planning stage of things and plenty more research on CCR's and CCB's !!!!

Don't think i'll make the Wed. at 10 pm madhouse rush so playing with practice sequences for the CCR's. The more i read the stupider i get!!

I to have noticed CCRs come out cheaper in the long run. Im really considering a couple of CCRs for my arches. My show is on a real tight budget but i just think the CCRs would come out cheaper even if i wrapped the arches with incandescent minis

Arches are channel hogs!! My two arches 8 channels each...One controller and 1,600 lights..With pro LED's at $15 a hundred..$240 lights, $205 a controller plus shipping..$500 two arches no conduit or extension cords !!!!

Ron Amedee wrote:

Arches are channel hogs!! My two arches 8 channels each...One controller and 1,600 lights..With pro LED's at $15 a hundred..$240 lights, $205 a controller plus shipping..$500 two arches no conduit or extension cords !!!!

That's why eschlomach has the right idea. 2 CCRs make 4 real nice arches. So $400 -$500 for 4 CCR arches verses $500 for two of your arches. Easy math.

I agree that arches are channel hogs - but they are also one of the few things for which I prefer incandescents - especially 100 ct clear minis bought after-season for 25 cents each a couple years ago. Including the PVC, the zip cord, the butt splices, the zip ties, and the seven sets of lights I'm inside warm and dry for under five bucks each arch. I like CCRs just fine, but for me they're gonna need to come down in price quite a bit before I'll be using them on arches.

I'd like to see what an arch made with a CCB might look like...

Probably won't have one this season, but will hopefully make one just to see how they look and work.

jimswinder wrote:

Probably won't have one this season, but will hopefully make one just to see how they look and work.

Saw an Arch (walk through) over the sidewalks at a park that they decorate every year for Christmas. The Arches use C7 or C9 bulbs and are made of PVC. Don't know where they bought them from, but they would probaly look awesome with CCB's! I think the Arches only have a total of around 60 bulbs on them(could be less or possibly a little more, guess I should have counted them. LOL).

Was thinking of trying to build something similar, but controlling each bulb independantly would sure be a huge channel hog, worse than most arches now.

I use CORO Arches presently, 100 bulbs per channel and each arch = 3 channels(300 bulbs), so my 4 Orange Halloween Arches take 12 channels, as do my 4 clear Christmas Arches. Both use incandescent bulbs.

But I'm thinking of going to the more traditional arch style like most others use or possibly building the type I saw in the park, but wrap them with mini incandescents instead of the C7 or C9 bulbs they used, which these arches they built are just static and that's just BORING!.

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

I agree that arches are channel hogs - but they are also one of the few things for which I prefer incandescents - especially 100 ct clear minis bought after-season for 25 cents each a couple years ago. Including the PVC, the zip cord, the butt splices, the zip ties, and the seven sets of lights I'm inside warm and dry for under five bucks each arch. I like CCRs just fine, but for me they're gonna need to come down in price quite a bit before I'll be using them on arches.

I have to agreewith you George, the cost of incadesents after christmas is very cheap I like the CCRs for the fascia line of the house but everything else I still like leds

jimswinder wrote:

Edit - Oh if you really mean CCBulbs, nobody has those yet - End Edit

Last year I add 3 CCR arches to my display because I felt they were easy to make than traditional segment mini arches. For me my time is what I don't have enough of so the CCR arches were easy to make.

Here is video from this year with them doing different things. Color of the CCRs are washed out but you can get an idea how they look.

http://vimeo.com/18719608

Ed P wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

I did mean the CCB bulbs...I know they aren't out yet...was speaking when I get some of the bulbs, as I will do a test arch for myself and see if it is something I would like to do in the future....

Ed P wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

Last year I add 3 CCR arches to my display because I felt they were easy to make than traditional segment mini arches. For me my time is what I don't have enough of so the CCR arches were easy to make.

Here is video from this year with them doing different things. Color of the CCRs are washed out but you can get an idea how they look.

http://vimeo.com/18719608

Nice Arches made from CCR's. How many CCR's did it take to make your 3 arches? CCR's from what I can tell are just a tad over 16' long and don't think your arches are each 16' long are they?

Very nice display too, by the way.

Orville wrote

Nice Arches made from CCR's. How many CCR's did it take to make your 3 arches? CCR's from what I can tell are just a tad over 16' long and don't think your arches are each 16' long are they?

Very nice display too, by the way.

It is 3 CCRs they are 16 feet each but only about 10 feet ground end to end with about 6 foot height top of arch. So all 3 cover about 30 feet.

jimswinder wrote:

Ed P wrote:
jimswinder wrote:

I did mean the CCB bulbs...I know they aren't out yet...was speaking when I get some of the bulbs, as I will do a test arch for myself and see if it is something I would like to do in the future....

OK might be interesting. I assume you are not thinking of wrapping an arch but just put CCB 1 thru 100 in order possible point up or down, kind of like what might be done on a roof line but on the arch.

Here's a photo of the Arches that were in Cranes Roost Park in Altamonte Springs, FL. They use these every year and I think they would look awesome using CCB's!

Don't know where they purchased these from or if someone actually built them specifically for the park (I haven't been able to find out anything about who made them or who the manufacturer is), but may be easy enough to build. Look like they are made from basic PVC pipe and C9 type bulbs.

So what you all think? Would this be a good project and candidate for a CCB style arch? What's even better is you can use it over a sidewalk or if made bigger, over a driveway.

Not 100% on the bulb count, but think thse use 75 C9 Clear Incandescent bulbs.

Attached files 240606=13084-Cranes Roost Park-Arches.jp

• The topic was locked