Light-O-Rama Forums

Disney's Electric Parade

Guest guest

The main melody is called "Baroque Hoedown". The Disney version takes that and weaves in different Disney songs.

There's also a Christmas version out there that is pretty cool. They're floating around the internet if you look hard enough (sorry I don't have a link to them, or the actual files) but of course to be 'legal' you'd need to buy the Disney CD's they're on.

"Baroque Hoedown" is by Kingsley/Perry, and Don Dorsey arranged it for Disney.

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

The main melody is called "Baroque Hoedown". The Disney version takes that and weaves in different Disney songs.

There's also a Christmas version out there that is pretty cool. They're floating around the internet if you look hard enough (sorry I don't have a link to them, or the actual files) but of course to be 'legal' you'd need to buy the Disney CD's they're on.

"Baroque Hoedown" is by Kingsley/Perry, and Don Dorsey arranged it for Disney.

I think the man used to have a stage name, Michael Iceberg.... he used to sit at the Tommorrowland Plaza and play the song and others "live" on stage. He also did music for the Bicentennial Parade on Main Street that ran only during 1976 and 1977. The song was also known as the Water Padgett Parade song until Main Street Electrical took it over in 1978. First time I heard it at WDW was the year Pirates of the Carribbean opened in 1974. Today its still played for the Water Padgett at WDW, but for parades its at California Adventure's MSEP and Tokyo Disneyland's Dream Lights parade. If you look on Utube, dream lights actually looks like its more detailed and better then the new Spectromagic Parade which also is a big upgrade from MSEP.

Sorry dont mean to be a walking history book but living about 1 hour away, I went to opening day of all 4 theme parks and somehow since 1972, I find myself in Disneyworld at least once every 3 months since. My parents couldnt get enough of it when it opened so I got to go lots and since becoming an adult, I maintain continuous annual passes...

Napster has it - The out sound from way in!, 1966 Perry-Kingsley, Label Vanguard -Baroque Hoedown 2:28

I sequenced it last year for this season, not an easy song to sequence but it turned out really cool.

llbarnes

I used the Electrical Parade song on my Halloween display this season, don't know if you saw my video on YouTube:

The only way to get the CD is on eBay or Disney parks, but I could not even get it at the park. It's an 11 minute CD. So I won it last month on eBay for $17.98 , here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230034452124

That same seller has 3 of them listed right now, go get 'em boys! That's the version you want. There's several hokey versions floating around, but this one is the best one that I remember, it's the EXACT one from Disney World in Orlando during the 1980's and 1990's. I hope this helps!

I also bought another version on CD, the version they are currently using in Disnyland, and it also has Fantasmic on it. This is a different version of the Electical parade that is very similar to the original one that I mentioned above. This newer one I beleive was done in 2001, also by Don Dorsey. So I have 2 different versions on CD, but I used the first one mentioned earlier.

Here's the link to the 2nd CD that I won:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230036840293

But remember, it was the first eBay auction CD above that I used for my sequence.

BTW, I imported it into Audacity, and stitched together a few of my favorite passages from this 11 minute song to get it down to under 4 minutes, as you'll see in my YouTube video.

Also at the beginning of the lighting sequence, I got 5 seconds of the Monorail safety voice that says "please stand clear of the door", then repeats it in Spanish. I had that sound byte on my PC for 2 years wondering if I would have an application for it someday. :laughing:

Joseph Ayo:

Michael Iceberg did not do the Main Street ELectrical parade, that was done by Don Dorsey. Iceberg was just the dude that played on the stage at the Tomorrowland Terrace restaurant.

I remember seeing him in 1978 when our school went to Disney on a trip. I'd still love to get a recording of his stuff though, we was very entertaining. No CD ever existed of his stuff, but there was an LP.

It's on "A Musical History of Disneyland" (disc 6, and runs 9minutes 13seconds), and is available at Amazon.com. But $70 for the 6 disc set may be a bit much to pay just for one song. If you know where to look on the Internet you may be able to find it :)

We were in Disneyland last week and picked up both the 6 disk set and the individual "Disney's Electrical Parade" CD. The single CD was only $10 at the main street music store. It was the first time I had even noticed the store on main street.

I couldn't believe how many different Disneyland park sound tracks were sold in that store.

It was so cool.

jeffostroff wrote:

Joseph Ayo:

Michael Iceberg did not do the Main Street ELectrical parade, that was done by Don Dorsey. Iceberg was just the dude that played on the stage at the Tomorrowland Terrace restaurant.

I remember seeing him in 1978 when our school went to Disney on a trip. I'd still love to get a recording of his stuff though, we was very entertaining. No CD ever existed of his stuff, but there was an LP.

Hmmm not sure... I know on stage he had the synthesizer and could belt out the entire mainstreet electrical parade live on stage and it sounded identicle to what was played at the parade.

Yes, Iceberg could play Electrical Parade up on stage, but he is not the one whose version is on the album, it was Don Dorsey. Iceberg also played Bach's Two PArt Invention #8 on stage too. Does that mean he's the guy who created it? No of course not. Remember, he was there to entertain us kids with Disney songs, and other known music, so that is what he did.

DOn Dorsey is the guy who created the modern version of Disney's Electrical Parade, improving (in my opinion) upon the older Baroque Howdown version from the 1970's.

Trust me I know all about Don Dorsey, I have his CDs, and one of my videos on LauderdaleChristmas.com this year for my animated lights used Don Dorsey's other song that he did for Disney's EPCOT Illuminations night time show over the lagoon.

I am continually surprised by the wealth of musical knowledge available here. I went to iTunes and searched for "Baroque Hoedown" and there is a 2:54 version of the song. The suggestion links even had a Disney archive album that includes a Donald Duck version of Dueling Banjos called "Dueling Quackers".

Someone brought up Dueling Banjos months ago and I decided that, while it wasn't Christmas, if done well, it would be a crowd-pleaser so I chose that as a song I would sequence.

You guys are the best.