Light-O-Rama Forums

Some Gmail users impacted...

-klb-

Google just revised their estimates of impacted users from 0.08% of their users to 0.02%, with some portion of the users returned to service.

Somehow, that positive note doesn't really help, if you are one of the ones still disabled, with a rough 12 hour guesstimate of when service will be restored.

jimswinder wrote:

did the impacted users get an email telling them of this outage??? :P

Yes, from the same person who calls them when their phones are out.....:D

Actually, last time I tried to log in through the webUI, they told my my account was disabled, and strongly implied that it was for violations of the terms of service. Not exactly friendly... And since I had not found anything about what was going on, I did fill out their form for assistance, over 12 hours ago, using a different Gmail ID for one of the light shows, that is working. So far, they have not sent me anything to indicate that it is their fault, not a terms of service violation. Hopefully this just means that they are all too busy trying to fix things...

Guest wbottomley

Greg Young wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
did the impacted users get an email telling them of this outage???  :P

Yes, from the same person who calls them when their phones are out.....:D

+1 for both.

It's of little comfort at the moment, but Gmail's down time is almost non existent. I have my customers mail servers clustered at a NOC and they still have a higher down time than Google's.

I would agree.

I got everything back sometime yesterday afternoon. Possibly some in transit mail lost, but no proof of that.

In I don't remember how many years (bak in the limited invite only days) this was the largest outage I have experienced, and it was a tiny percentage of users impacted. Before this, I think I have occasionally had 5 or 10 minute issues that I noticed, that may have even been internet issues...