Light-O-Rama Forums

Program not responding...

Paul B. Anderson

Jim Saul wrote:

Paul B. Anderson wrote:
Have ccleaner, and Malwarebytes, and have run both scans. However, I was told that you should only have one type of antivirus/malware program because they tend to "fight" each other and think that the other is virus/malware; but no probs so far...

Hey Paul, This is VERY true you do not want to have 2 AV running together, every time a file is opened the AV has to "bless" it before the computer is allowed to access it, when there is a priest and a rabbi both trying to bless at the same time things get ugly. You don't need to worry about the 3 programs I told you to use as they do not have a live or real time scanners "blessing" the files. I recommend Malwarebyes free for every computer. you can just hit update and scan when you think something may have gotten past your primary AV.
Jim,
very good analogy of the priest and rabbi. I like this.

Max-Paul wrote:

Jim,
very good analogy of the priest and rabbi. I like this.

Thanks, the sad part is that after 30 years of futzin with these things, thats the only analogy I've come up with that really clicks with people.:shock:

Paul, I have the IBM T4x (and T6x) XP Pro OEM OS Recovery disks if you want to do a clean install.. I have four T40's and I use these to do clean installs of my family's laptops each year (they goomb them up all the time). You'd have to back up your docs, music, videos, LOR sequences, etc and do a clean install.. but will give you a clean machine in the end. Gets rid of ALL the bad stuff (bad registry, orphaned files, etc) from when XP was originally installed.

as it's an IBM OEM OS, installing onto an IBM laptop, you dont have to worry abt license key. IBM's have bulk lic keys..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Paul, I have the IBM T4x (and T6x) XP Pro OEM OS Recovery disks if you want to do a clean install.. I have four T40's and I use these to do clean installs of my family's laptops each year (they goomb them up all the time). You'd have to back up your docs, music, videos, LOR sequences, etc and do a clean install.. but will give you a clean machine in the end. Gets rid of ALL the bad stuff (bad registry, orphaned files, etc) from when XP was originally installed.

as it's an IBM OEM OS, installing onto an IBM laptop, you dont have to worry abt license key. IBM's have bulk lic keys..

I might take you up on that however I'll check with out IT Dept here at work first, see if I can get it from them - I bought the laptop from work so they might be able to set me up with it just the same...

Thanks everyone...