Light-O-Rama Forums

Opaque mini trees

shfr26

My little pea brain went into overdrive this morning, and it started to think about a mini tree, using tomato cages painted white, and than a opaque covering in maybe a .85 window tint or something else in an opaque. Then only using one or two small bulbs or maybe even a small flood, to light it from the inside. Did I fry my little pea brain, and cause a catastrophic overload, or is this something that may just work? Let the decorating genius's begin to think.;)

shfr26 wrote:

My little pea brain went into overdrive this morning, and it started to think about a mini tree, using tomato cages painted white, and than a opaque covering in maybe a .85 window tint or something else in an opaque. Then only using one or two small bulbs or maybe even a small flood, to light it from the inside. Did I fry my little pea brain, and cause a catastrophic overload, or is this something that may just work? Let the decorating genius's begin to think.;)

Basically I do what you are talking about with some boxes I decorated as presents. I built a structure about two feet cube out of 2"x2"s. Then I covered the structure with 2' x 4' opaque white light covers, such as you used to see in a "ceiling of light" in a kitchen (I just taped these light covers to the boards with white duct tape. The bottom was left open and I hung three strings of 100 count LED lights inside. One string each of red, green, and blue---kind of looped throughout the box, but not too close to the sides. This allows me to change the color of the presents by dimming and combining the colors. I can make virtually any color, even white, by combining all colors. I hope that makes sense. They have been in service for three years now, and should be fine for a few more. I don't see any reason you couldn't do the same thing on the tomato cages. It would save you lots of lights, and you could easily change the colors. Let us know how it turns out.

I used ice cream pales for a few years and stuck 5 watt bulbs in them. Now I am thinking of doing it again simply because those white cloudy pales glow good. I need anywhere from 32 to 64 ice cream pales.

When it comes to decorating I do what I need to do if money is tight. Mini trees like you are talking about would help me out. Then I could recycle the LED's that are on the mini trees now.

This is a great idea! Just need to find some sort of thin, flexible, yet durable vinyl or similar material. I know that in the past I have cut up garbage cans, heated them and then molded them to the shapes that I needed. You could probably do the same with tall white garbage cans by cutting them, wrapping the cage and then zip tie them together.

I just went and took a white trash can that I had in the shop turned it over with some blue LEDs in it and turned it on in a dark room. It glowed amazingly well. It looks like the trick is to keep the bulbs away from the cans surface like CK said.

The only problem that I saw is that it gave the illusion of soft edges on the can. So your mini trees will probably not look very sharp and crisp as they do with the bulbs on the cages. It created a glow around the can. The also may be so because I was in a 10 X 10 room and it lit up the whole room. I am gonna dig out some more lights and play with it. I will post results.

NickByrd wrote:

I just went and took a white trash can that I had in the shop turned it over with some blue LEDs in it and turned it on in a dark room. It glowed amazingly well. It looks like the trick is to keep the bulbs away from the cans surface like CK said.

White garbage can are different than those clear yet cloudy ice cream pales. You ought to put lights under a few pales and see the difference. The glow at least to me is better.

shfr26 wrote:

Working on one using a shower curtain liner.  We'll see what happens.

Good call on the shower curtain. I was thinking that you could twist the 3 strands together and run it vertically thru the center of the tree. That should give you even distribution and cut down on shadows.

NickByrd wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
Working on one using a shower curtain liner. We'll see what happens.

Good call on the shower curtain. I was thinking that you could twist the 3 strands together and run it vertically thru the center of the tree. That should give you even distribution and cut down on shadows.

I like the shower curtain liner idea too. I hope in the weather it stays soft and pliable and doesn't get brittle very quickly. I think if you run a single string down the middle, it will look much brighter at the top and then gradually get dimmer as the tree flares out going down. I think more lights will be needed as you go down. I can't think exactly how to do that right now.

I used to fly Rc airplanes..They have heat shrink wing and fusilage wrap that would hold up to a monsone ! Probally too expensive for this ..But just a thought "how do ya spell that?" This stuff if tight and comes in many translucient colors. Avaliable at most hobbie centers. IF it wortks i want alittle credit for the idea !!!

CKSedg wrote:

NickByrd wrote:
shfr26 wrote:
Working on one using a shower curtain liner.  We'll see what happens.

I like the shower curtain liner idea too.  I hope in the weather it stays soft and pliable and doesn't get brittle very quickly.  I think if you run a single string down the middle, it will look much brighter at the top and then gradually get dimmer as the tree flares out going down.  I think more lights will be needed as you go down.  I can't think exactly how to do that right now.

What if you run that strand vertically, but only run it from the ground to about 2/3rds of the way up? It will probably get a little brighter midway up, but it may be acceptable. I think the opaque material is gonna be the key to making it look good. I will try and pick up some supplies and try it.

Should have been done by now with the shower curtain idea but, my wife decided she wanted to take a shower and noticed something missing!! Oh well, off to the store.:D

shfr26 wrote:

Should have been done by now with the shower curtain idea but, my wife decided she wanted to take a shower and noticed something missing!!  Oh well, off to the store.:D

She clearly doesn't understand your dedication and sacrifice.

My wife had me build a 8' tripod/tree frame out of 1/2" conduit.

Inside the tripod we hung a couple of strings of icicle lights from the three legs...so the lights were very dense

She then covered/wrapped this with a gold colored sheer material...tulle I beleive

Looked very nice...

will have to see if I have a picture when I get home...

shfr26 wrote:

Should have been done by now with the shower curtain idea but, my wife decided she wanted to take a shower and noticed something missing!! Oh well, off to the store.:D

I read this to my wife, and we both laughed pretty good. Then she said "How do we wives put up with you guys?" I told her it's because we're all so adorable. I don't think she bought that one.

CKSedg wrote:

shfr26 wrote:

I read this to my wife, and we both laughed pretty good. Then she said "How do we wives put up with you guys?" I told her it's because we're all so adorable. I don't think she bought that one.

Are you sure it isn't "adhorable"?

shfr26 wrote:

Darn, spelled it wrong after all. ABHORABLE. That's better:D

it's your spelling that is abhorrent :D

but you...you're adorable!! :shock: