Light-O-Rama Forums

WHY? Is controller cheaper on wowLights

spindler88

I am looking to buy a beginner package. Why is the 16 channel package cheaper on wowlights.com $329 than LOR $377.80? Is the controller different on wow than LOR. Need Help what should i do? Also should i buy it now or wait for the sale?

The starter kit from LOR is using the LOR1602 "Showtime" series of controller, while the wowlights.com starter package is using the CTB16PC controller.

When to buy? Well, I would recommend getting the software now, as Dan has said many times it does not go on sale. You don't *need* the controllers when you are getting started, though I 100% understand why people want them in hand.

I downloaded the software (DEMO) should i purchase it? I already sequenced 2 songs. That i have to watch over and over again because i keep finding mistakes. So what is the difference in the 2 controllers? Thank You for the quick reply

These are some of the differences between controllers, as described by Dan Baldwin, the founder of Light-O-Rama.

The LOR1602W (LOR) is a commercial grade controller with a UL508 (industrial) rating. It is the only controller in the Animated Christmas Market Place with safety certification. The CTB16PC-ReadyToGO (PC) is not safety certified (but is designed with safety in mind!).

The LOR is in a heavy duty steel case, the PC is in a plastic case.

The LOR is has a 2 year warranty, the PC has a 1 year warranty.

The LOR has (non-musical) standalone mode and can as director to control other controllers, the PC cannot.

The electronics in the LOR are designed for 40amps and down rated to 30 amps; the PC is designed for 30amps.

The LOR has unit ID switches for easy setup; the PC requires that you use a program on your computer to set the Unit ID.

The LOR has safety plate to protect the electronics and reduce shock hazard, the PC does not.

The LOR has an on/off switch with easy access fuses, the PC does not.

The LOR and the PC do have the same lighting effects and are rated at the same current. They can be used interchangeably in a LOR network.

I would purchase the software, you'd have to decide on what level. The demo version (and the lowest paid I believe) encrypts the sequences. LOR can remove the encryption, but it can cause issues later.

The biggest difference between the PC and showtime is that the PC uses a plastic case, Showtime is metal and the Showtime is UL approved. There are some other minor differences, but the important thing is that functionally for a show, they are pretty much identical.

Of course once I got this posted, Don said it much better :(

Don, I want to Thank You for all of your feedback. I almost bought the PC i am glad that i wrote on here first. Sounds like you know how everything works. I have one more question. Where is the best place to buy LED lights in bulk? I went out the day after christmas and bought every LED white 5mm and some Led icicles lights that i could find. Total around 2150 Lights. Also i have thousands of regular lights. Would regular lights look stupid with LED? I think so just needed someone elses opinion. Thank You Again.

Well, I wouldn't say that I know how everything works, but I digress. Most vendors have wrapped up their LED Pre Order sales. There may be some out there (but I honestly haven't kept track of all of them, just a few.)

I use a mix of incandescent and LED on my home display, and I don't personally don't think there is anything wrong with it. (And was quite pleased with how things looked.)

For most home displays the PC line of controllers is perfect. It has a good price, and does everything the Showtime series of controllers do. The only reason I have the Showtime controllers in my display is that the PC line wasn't around when I got started. As Dan mentioned in his post a while back, and as everyone will (should) tell you, the devices are interchangeable, and yield the same lighting effects.

You can have trouble with things looking right mixing white LED and incandescent, if the LEDs are cool (bluish white) and incandescent warm white. If you have them on different things, you can make it work, but I wouldn't, say, do have a roof outline in one and switch to the other for the other half.

LEDs can be more problematic in dimming and such. I always make sure to use full wave LEDs.

If you are looking for good full wave LEDs, CDI is great, but their discount pre order is over.

Holiday Light Express is good and have good prices, especially if you don't want full cases, and they still have a sale going on. I bought a bunch of LEDs from them last year, and have been very happy with the lights and quick service.

I decided to go all LEDs, the nice thing is, this year I am expanding greatly, going to 30,000 lights, and the power draw is so little, I could not believe my power bill last season, it was less than the year before with a static display that had incandescent lights.

Some love the incandescents, and some the LEDs. I think if you are starting now, I would go LEDs. LOR is working on some tweaks with the software/hardware ? to make the LEDs work better with the controllers, from what I have read here.

Spindler,

I actually purchased my first 4 controllers from WOWLIGHTS.COM. It really depends on which package you get from them. Some of the packages come with a music CD, some with a sequence or 2, etc. The package that I purchased had 4 of the CTB16PC controllers, all the CAT 5 cables, the USB 485 booster and the Advanced software.

If you are NOT buying from LOR during a sale... and you only want the PC controllers, then its a pretty good deal.

I can tell you that the service was good, the product was well packaged, all my controllers were labeled and numbered out of the box ready to go.

I would not recomend their sequencing. It is WAY expensive for what it is. Besides you are already sequencing. The extra decorations that they sell are also a bit high, and you can fabricate them if you have a little know how.

Nick

PS: This year I am waiting for the big JUNE sale to buy all my new controllers from LOR direct.

I got the LOR1602W starter kit first. 1 controller with cables and adapter. The nice thing is the DC-MP3 director will mount right into this controller. I will get all PC controllers after that due to the affordable price. The 90% complete kit of the PC controllers is only $205.00 ea. I can solder and build my own yet if you compare the time VS cost it is not worth it to me. I still am wrapping pipes and building cords to get ready for the "Madness"

Ron Amedee wrote:

I got the LOR1602W starter kit first. 1 controller with cables and adapter. The nice thing is the DC-MP3 director will mount right into this controller. I will get all PC controllers after that due to the affordable price. The 90% complete kit of the PC controllers is only $205.00 ea. I can solder and build my own yet if you compare the time VS cost it is not worth it to me. I still am wrapping pipes and building cords to get ready for the "Madness"

And if you wait until the summer sale the 100% complete PC controllers went for $195 last year!

Nick, I don't have a choice but to wait. I am spending a small fotune on LED's right now. At least i don't have to start over like some, This being my first year. The forum is helping me prepare and avoid alot of first timers mistakes!

NickByrd wrote:

Spindler,

I actually purchased my first 4 controllers from WOWLIGHTS.COM. It really depends on which package you get from them. Some of the packages come with a music CD, some with a sequence or 2, etc. The package that I purchased had 4 of the CTB16PC controllers, all the CAT 5 cables, the USB 485 booster and the Advanced software.

If you are NOT buying from LOR during a sale... and you only want the PC controllers, then its a pretty good deal.

I can tell you that the service was good, the product was well packaged, all my controllers were labeled and numbered out of the box ready to go.

I would not recommend their sequencing. It is WAY expensive for what it is. Besides you are already sequencing. The extra decorations that they sell are also a bit high, and you can fabricate them if you have a little know how.

Nick

PS: This year I am waiting for the big JUNE sale to buy all my new controllers from LOR direct.
did the same thing here, have two controllers, they arrived numbered. not a fan of their sequencing either but bought my package in November so didn't really have the time to be picky. With their help I had everything up in a matter of hours, the only time consuming part is I didn't have enough extension cords and had to make repeated trips to WallyWorld. They were more than helpful with my 10,000 phone calls (I can be a bit worrisome when I am making a purchase of over $300 and they were really patient). Will buy controller 3 and 4 from them (because they will pre-config for me) and maybe the pumpkins from their Halloween setup unless i find the specs for the one that i saw in a youtube Michael Jackson "Thriller" video.

In the fall of 2009 I found Planet Christmas Forums and began reading everything I could on controlling christmas lights. It was quick to learn I had no time left to program a PC for the up coming christmas season. Wowlights.com had been recommended for a fast solution, I have not looked back since. Wowlights.com offers a full solution for beginners, they offer full packages even with a few free sequences. Wowlights packages have a support page that gives a beginner a full layout of where lights and controllers might be located in your yard.

I would recommend Wowlights for any beginners who have little or no working knowledge electrical/ engineer. As a beginner pay close attention to your electrical needs and plan ahead if need be consult a electrician.

Since 2009 I have purchased 8 new Showtime LOR1602W during last years sale and I have begun sequences of my own.

Recommendations:

- Start where you feel confortable.

-Join a local town or state holiday forum, most have mini group meetings with a wealth of information.

- Draw out your display on a paper or computer draw program. Lay out where your want lights on your home.

My 2 cents on the software buy question. I initially (about a month ago) bought the Basic Plus software license, as I thought "How useful can those other features be?" Well, I finished my first sequence last weekend and about 1 hour into it (probably spent 15 hours or so total), decided I'd up for the Advanced license. Having an unlimited number of tracks to work with is worth every penny. Silly me, I tried to save $50 and it wound up costing me an extra $20 when I realized that I really needed those extra tracks.

Another thought about buying software before hardware... consider buying a starter package worth of hardware. When you buy the hardware right away, there's a discount on the software license.

Help me out here. I just purch my first LOR1602W. I need to add a second unit (at least need 32 zones for my first setup). I eventually plan on using the SDC memory board thingamajiggy so it can run independent of my PC - maybe next year.

However... my question goes... if I already have the LOR1602W then I can use all CTB16PC's daisy chained from here on out right? I plan on adding a couple more controllers each year, but want to go cost effective. Thoughts?

Jaren Ririe wrote:

Help me out here. I just purch my first LOR1602W. I need to add a second unit (at least need 32 zones for my first setup). I eventually plan on using the SDC memory board thingamajiggy so it can run independent of my PC - maybe next year.

However... my question goes... if I already have the LOR1602W then I can use all CTB16PC's daisy chained from here on out right? I plan on adding a couple more controllers each year, but want to go cost effective. Thoughts?

With an mp3 director you dont even need the 1602W.Can be all CTB16PC`s.