Light-O-Rama Forums

mini tres

doug petschke

I used two upside down tomato cages for each of my mini trees. I used rope lights on each. For easy installation and tear down I bent the top 4 to 6 inches of tomato cage down in the center. I hammered 2 ft of a four foot piece of rebar into the yard then placed a one inch grey pipe over the exposed rebar. The bent down centers of the tomato cage fit neatly into the top of the gray pipe. This worked very well for the front yard hillside the mini trees were placed on. Instant leveling for the mini trees.;)

Attached files 237616=12952-Showalter Mini tree setup.j

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CKSedg

• doug petschke

• Mark Showalter

• SteveMaris

Mark Showalter wrote:

I used two upside down tomato cages for each of my mini trees. I used rope lights on each. For easy installation and tear down I bent the top 4 to 6 inches of tomato cage down in the center. I hammered 2 ft of a four foot piece of rebar into the yard then placed a one inch grey pipe over the exposed rebar. The bent down centers of the tomato cage fit neatly into the top of the gray pipe. This worked very well for the front yard hillside the mini trees were placed on. Instant leveling for the mini trees.;)

Great idea, Mark. I think I will use this idea this year.

The rope lights make the minis heavy enough that they won't blow around in a heavy wind and I don't have to worry about bulbs breaking when I stack them 5 high in the off season. I do plan to make larger minis for the next display. I'm also adding a total of three colors and channels each.

Hey guys,
I just bought 14 of these off EBAY. 4ft pine trees. 9 dollars each, but the nice thing is they have a shipping special for 7 dollars total no matter how much you buy. Everything else they sell is pretty expensive IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-CHARLIE-PINE-ARTIFICIAL-CHRISTMAS-TREE-UNLIT-/370484014796?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5642916ecc#ht_4003wt_1139

SteveMaris wrote:

Hey guys,
I just bought 14 of these off EBAY. 4ft pine trees. 9 dollars each, but the nice thing is they have a shipping special for 7 dollars total no matter how much you buy. Everything else they sell is pretty expensive IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-CHARLIE-PINE-ARTIFICIAL-CHRISTMAS-TREE-UNLIT-/370484014796?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5642916ecc#ht_4003wt_1139

Do you have to worry about the "indoor use only"?

I read many posts about "indoor" trees being used outside on this and other forums. One person mentioned they were still in great shape after three years of use. That was good enough for me.

i just got back from Wal-Mart and saw that they just got their tomato cages in for the year, and if you live where i live at ppl buy them up quickly and most of them are SOLD OUT by June (alot of ppl have their own gardens). Dont think they have priced them yet but I will let you know when they are priced.

Just a heads up!!!!!!!!!!!

I am adding to the mini trees this year, and needed more to match the 30" Artist easels I bought for last years display.

Was at Michaels today, and the local one here in Corvallis had a Clearance sale on the 36" (larger than mine) for $2.49 each, (reg $3.99) So of course I picked up a load of those along with the 30" which were about the same price.

Anyway, looks like Michael's is clearing out the 36" artsit easels at a good price.

Of course I will probably go to the 36" ones, because the size is really nice, and of course the loved one with me (my mini tree maker) had this funny expression on her face, and asked, "so that means unwrapping the one's I did last year??.." and I said, Maybe :D

Attached files 237686=12958-dawnminitrees.jpg

I saw those easels at Michaels a month ago. I was considering welding 5 together and making a huge star. Good idea on the minis.

paulanator wrote:

I am adding to the mini trees this year, and needed more to match the 30" Artist easels I bought for last years display.

Was at Michaels today, and the local one here in Corvallis had a Clearance sale on the 36" (larger than mine) for $2.49 each, (reg $3.99) So of course I picked up a load of those along with the 30" which were about the same price.

Anyway, looks like Michael's is clearing out the 36" artsit easels at a good price.

Of course I will probably go to the 36" ones, because the size is really nice, and of course the loved one with me (my mini tree maker) had this funny expression on her face, and asked, "so that means unwrapping the one's I did last year??.." and I said, Maybe :)

Don't unwrap the 30" ones from last year. Just add more! Isn't that what this hobby/obsession is all about? More, more more.

paulanator wrote:

That was why the keyword was MAYBE....

You gotta ease those things on loved ones, ya know... lol

You got that right!

Yes, you're right. I tell my future light plans---and how much it will cost---to my wife just a little at a time. She's usually ok with it that way.

ya i also used tomato cages but didn't get um that cheap 2.98 during the winter season they had to get a forklift out to get them down i got ripped off oh well, with this nice weather did you get all your stuff put away Doug?

still not done re doing my storage in the garage yet Dale i have a bunch out of the yard still have upper house lights to do and rest of extension cords. i wanna label the cords first so i dont have to hunt next year for the right ones. i got 20 strings of multi incandescents gonna redo the tree and replace some of the old strings on the roof with new ones. how about te traffic tonite huh you think everyone took stupid pills today. we still have to meet someday

• 5 months later...

doug petschke wrote:

not sure how you all do your mini trees but about the cheapest way i have found is using the round tomato cages up side down and wrapping the lights around them zip or wires ties here and there and presto.
thanks for this, it worked wonders for me.