Light-O-Rama Forums

mini tres

doug petschke

not sure how you all do your mini trees but about the cheapest way i have found is using the round tomato cages up side down and wrapping the lights around them zip or wires ties here and there and presto.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CKSedg

• doug petschke

• Mark Showalter

• SteveMaris

Are they the $43.?? ones or the $30.59 ones? The $30.59 ones are only $1.22 each. At $1.22 I think that is a real good price.

Never mind, I see shipping is alot more on the $30.59 ones, my bad!

Aaron Maue wrote:

If you have a Menards nearby they usually have 32" tomato cages for under a buck during the season. I think last year's regular price was something like $1.28.

EDIT: Duh... If I'd have read George's post closer, I wouldn't have asked such a stupid question. It was so stupid, I've deleted it to save myself extraordinary embarrassment.

Stupid Mondays.

I use the tomato cages...but i wrap them with chicken wire. 2 foot by 50 foot roll at menards is $11 and some change.Ace is $24 the crooks :)

tomato cages, 4 different sizes, anywhere from 300-900 lights on each. Picked up most the tomato cages at lowes, and a couple monster cages at a local yard store.
Wrapped them on plastic chicken wire (home depot) for a rounder look and a bit of a barrier between lights and metal frame. Probably overkill, but comparing with and without, I like the look of the chicken wire wrap on the cage rather than doing two cages per tree, or no wrap at all.

The online prices don't look too bad, but I prefer to see the before I buy...had a lot of them at lowes that obviously took a beating during shipping...

Aaron Maue wrote:

Becareful! If you look @ the link it also says:

Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible :D

I also did the Lowes tomato cages doubled up. I thought about the chicken wire thing, but the doubled up cages looked pretty good I thought.

The only issues with the cages that I have is storage. Anyone have any storage friendly trees (that keeps the lights on them year around) or ways to store the tomato cages that is efficient?

My trees are done with 2 cages. I cut the top and lower rings to shape them better. Each tree has 200 red and 200 white minis and is wrapped with green garland. I have had more then one person think they are real.

To store them, I put a trash bag over the tree to help it slide and seperate and then stack them.

Attached files 237393=12945-DSC00245.JPG

Brian Mitchell wrote:

My trees are done with 2 cages. I cut the top and lower rings to shape them better. Each tree has 200 red and 200 white minis and is wrapped with green garland. I have had more then one person think they are real.

To store them, I put a trash bag over the tree to help it slide and seperate and then stack them.

I also put a plastic trash bag over them and store them in the attic of my garage. I put boards across the trusses for a platform, and that's where most of my light weight stuff goes. I have a drop down stair access that I installed a few years ago, so it all works pretty slick.

Brian Mitchell wrote:

What a great idea! I can't wait until the snow melts and I can try it. Thanks, Brian!

NickByrd wrote:

I also did the Lowes tomato cages doubled up. I thought about the chicken wire thing, but the doubled up cages looked pretty good I thought.

The only issues with the cages that I have is storage. Anyone have any storage friendly trees (that keeps the lights on them year around) or ways to store the tomato cages that is efficient?

I added shelving in my garage, across the back wall, elevated and out of the way, for them to sit on.

I thought about hooks in the garage ceiling to hang them, and finally decided to go with theshelving.

I waited until late August and paid $0.50 for the cages (1/2 price) back in 2009 when I added more trees. In 2007 & 2008 I may have paid a little less. Unless you want your trees done soon, it could be worth the wait to get the cages at 1/2 price.

That was up here where I live so the store I buy them from will not help you much.

Since my mini trees are all side by side with only a 2 inch gap between trees I decided to put my trees on 2 separate stained wooden bases for easy removal during take down, I fasten the trees to the bases with a couple of those plastic plastic electrical cable holders per tree.

At least that way I got them out of the front yard this year before the end of April. January 2nd was a 1st for the trees.