Light-O-Rama Forums

do i need 1 or 2 light linkers?

tanya

Tanya,

As you have read a lot of good ideas here, one that you may want to consider is a second computer. You can get a cheap new or used laptop for about the same price as a light linker.

The cons: you could have spent that cash on lights or controllers.

The pros: you can put that "show computer" in the garage or lock box and still have a computer to use while your show is running. This is a huge pro to me.

Remember that whatever additional audio you use on the computer that is playing as well as the show will ALSO play via the FM transmitter. A second computer let's you sequence while shows are running.

i've thought about using a second computer, i have a couple old ones laying around. the problem is my garage is on the other side of the house from where most of my display is, and the big problem with that is if i ran wires or cables going to my show then it's in the way of where i snow blow. haven't figured out a way to get around that yet. i want to dig some holes under with some pvc in the ground so i have outlets and cables and everything going underground so they're not in the way of the sidewalk and stuff but that's going to be a whole lot of feet per cord.

tanya wrote:

but that's going to be a whole lot of feet per cord.

Does that mean you are thinking of putting the controllers in your garage as opposed to out in your yard?

If you are running just lines to power the controllers (out in the yard) then you could use individual wires (black, white, green) in the conduit as opposed to Romex and save some money...

tanya wrote:

i've thought about using a second computer, i have a couple old ones laying around. the problem is my garage is on the other side of the house from where most of my display is, and the big problem with that is if i ran wires or cables going to my show then it's in the way of where i snow blow. haven't figured out a way to get around that yet. i want to dig some holes under with some pvc in the ground so i have outlets and cables and everything going underground so they're not in the way of the sidewalk and stuff but that's going to be a whole lot of feet per cord.

One word... ATTIC. Use it to run from point A to B

Tom Straub

testraub wrote:

One word... ATTIC. Use it to run from point A to B

Tom Straub

I have actually thought about doing that. You could easily put an after market Cat5 socket in the ceiling of your "computer room" and then do the same in the eave of the house. You wouldn't see it, and the eave would protect it from the weather (especially if you placed it deep in a corner).

BRILLIANT!!!:dude: