Light-O-Rama Forums

Mr Grinch mp3

jeff bush

jeff bush wrote:

If someone happens to have this song that would be willing to share, I could sure use it for my show this year.

From the title of your thread, I presume you're looking for the audio file. I'm guessing if you go to Google, type in the song name and then push the button you'll find half a million sources for the music. Isn't spending 99 cents at Amazon or Napster a better option than asking someone you don't know to commit a crime?

George Simmons wrote:

jeff bush wrote:
If someone happens to have this song that would be willing to share, I could sure use it for my show this year.

Isn't spending 99 cents at Amazon or Napster a better option than asking someone you don't know to commit a crime?

You would need to add this comment on every thread that asks for MP3's.

Here is an interesting theory..........we buy the music & that is fine and we download it unto our computer and burn a CD and all is o k. but if we buy 1 song and burn it to a CD and then, put it on a MP3 player are we committing a crime?

That is one of the things they are discussing in Canada.s new copyrights act. Also if we make a video of our display with the song on it and post it on YouTube or Vimeo are we doing wrong? That is another issue they are talking about.

I was in contact with the Brian Adam administration and they told me via an email that I can use Brian Adams song "Something about Christmas Time" but I am not allowed to post a video on YouTube do to copyright laws that are in place now.......it is considered a copy.

That is why the music is taken from the videos of Christmas displays..

Interesting isn't it?

As this thread has been around the block, I do like revisiting it. I know that I have asked for mp3's on here before. My biggest NEED is for editted versions of songs, especially if someone is sharing a sequence that requires a specific version of the song. It seems like there are at least 20 versions of Sandstorm out there.

I know some feel that just by using a FM transmitter in the show, we are redistributing the music.

If someone shares an mp3 with me, I try and buy a copy of my own if it is availible. So if I use a version given to me because it was editted, but own a stock copy, am I violating? And did the person who shared violate if he believes that I am going to get my own stock copy?

NickByrd wrote:

As this thread has been around the block, I do like revisiting it. I know that I have asked for mp3's on here before. My biggest NEED is for editted versions of songs, especially if someone is sharing a sequence that requires a specific version of the song. It seems like there are at least 20 versions of Sandstorm out there.

I know some feel that just by using a FM transmitter in the show, we are redistributing the music.

If someone shares an mp3 with me, I try and buy a copy of my own if it is availible. So if I use a version given to me because it was editted, but own a stock copy, am I violating? And did the person who shared violate if he believes that I am going to get my own stock copy?
In the beginning I used D/L songs from many sources, and still have those songs, but starting last year went back and purchased them so I had me own legally purchased copy.
Like someone here or PC said, you spend thousands on controllers and lights, why wouldn't you spend $0.99 for a song?

Like someone here or PC said, you spend thousands on controllers and lights, why wouldn't you spend $0.99 for a song?

Thats so deep man...

Okay here's a good one for you, you video your display and the song, now you DO NOT EDIT the video and put in a "clean track", but leave the track as it was recorded, the RAW VIDEO you took has aircraft noise, traffic noise, and other extreneaous noises through it, rendering the song basically useless for anyone to download and strip from your video because many parts of it are or can't even be heard over these noises. Now are you still in violation of these laws when the music is so hashed with noise it ruins the song and makes it totally unusable by anyone else (which seems to be one of the biggest complaints from the music industry, downloading a video that has a clean version of the song and stripping it and using it).

What about that particular scenario?

My posted videos are just like the above, some are somewhat clear and clean, but not completely.

And yes, I've downloaded vids and stripped the song out to sequence, but usually these may be songs you can't not buy because they were recorded from an actual movie that did not include that particular song on the CD Soundtrack, one song in particular is "Come Little Children" from the Disney movie Hocus Pocus, I own the movie and recorded the song from it, edited it and then used it in my Halloween Display. So what do you do when a song IS NOT available and that is the only way to get it? If the music industry wants to cry foul here, then they need to make these versions of their song available on CD so they could be purchased.

Every song I have ever stripped from a video, except those that just can't be purchased, I did purchase the entire CD they were on so that I do own a "legal copy" of the music. But just what do you do when a song you want to use just isn't out there except by doing a strip out from a video, like a DVD or VHS movie, or even from a YouTube or other video sharing site video?

Another perplexing dilema, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

George Simmons wrote:

jeff bush wrote:

From the title of your thread, I presume you're looking for the audio file. I'm guessing if you go to Google, type in the song name and then push the button you'll find half a million sources for the music. Isn't spending 99 cents at Amazon or Napster a better option than asking someone you don't know to commit a crime?

yes and know, I am a iTunes junkie but sometimes with show sequences you just don't need the full version and it is impossible to find a shorter one thru "normal" channels. Case in point, I have been searching high and low for a two and a half to three and a half minute of "Thriller" but their just doesn't seem to be one out there. I try to stay away from 5-7minute songs.

jerryb721 wrote:

NickByrd wrote:

In the beginning I used D/L songs from many sources, and still have those songs, but starting last year went back and purchased them so I had me own legally purchased copy.
it isn't always about spending $0.99 for the song BUT finding a 3 minute version at 128kps.

Ultamitking73 wrote:

ok just for fun if we use an fm transmitter how is that not breaking FCC rules?????
probably, there is most likely some obscure rule that only applies to cattle farmers in Washington DC that states you can't transmit an FM signal more than 10ft because it relaxes the bowels of cattle and makes horses horny. Was probably written in 1912.

Here are some laws for music.

you CANNOT reproduce the music or lyrics

you CANNOT distribute the music or lyrics either for free, for no profit, or for profit

you CANNOT perform the music or lyrics in public

you CANNOT play a recording of the music or lyrics in public--even if you own the CD

you CANNOT make a derivative work or arrangement for public use in any form

Works published in the United States with a copyright date of 1922 or earlier are in the public domain in the United States.

Caleb Linburg wrote:

you CANNOT distribute the music or lyrics either for free, for no profit, or for profit

you CANNOT play a recording of the music or lyrics in public--even if you own the CD

Works published in the United States with a copyright date of 1922 or earlier are in the public domain in the United States.
WOW, so we are outlaws and this is an outlaw message board!! How cool is that?

Caleb Linburg wrote:

If you don't like contacting artists for permission there are paid services that radio stations use that pay the artists to use songs.
so if i understand you as correct, all the sequences and music i purchased from WOWLights i can not use in my light show if i am using an fm transmitter or a receiver and speakers that can be heard past my driveway?

Caleb Linburg wrote:

And the one you highlighted in red is so full of holes it isn't even funny! And do you know why?

I have the music CD, I am playing it in my car, either rolling down the highway or parked, windows open, therefore ANYONE can hear it and then that constitutes a "public performance", because others can now hear it besides me.

This is why whomever the MORON was that allowed the music industry to start suing people over crap like this had no business making such rulings, Because EVERY PERSON playing a CD they purchased in their vehicle or even on their property, if it can be heard by neighbors, even softly, one is in violation of that idiotic and I DO MEAN *IDIOTIC LAW!*

So you're telling us we can't even play the CD we just purchased and popped into our car stereo CD player because someone may hear it and now it's a "public performance", at least that is how I view that particuklar statement.

The music industry NEEDS to quit being so damn blind and stupid, if it weren't for people playing the music from these venues, I never would have heard of many of the artists, let alone bought any of their "music CD's" for my personal collection AND to use in my holiday displays.

These displays create REVENUE for this folks, if they can't see that, then they have to be the DUMBEST, MOST IDIOTIC business-people on the planet! Just in 2010 alone after hearing some songs at displays or on YouTube or other video sharing sites, I bought somewhere between 12-15(maybe even more) new CD's that WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN PURCHASED except for these avenues.

MUSIC INDUSTRY: Get your heads out of the clouds and take notice! THIS SELLS YOUR MUSIC!!!

I completely agree. Just posting what I found. When I try to get permission I may say that I will put the song title and artist name on a paper I hand out at my display. If they say no to that they are so foolish I don't think I want their music.