Light-O-Rama Forums

Dripping Icicles

Fred1969

I am looking at the dripping icicles offered by CDI and was wondering what the difference was between the retrofit tube at $7.25 each and the 5 piece set at $90.00? I understand the obvious differences. I was wondering about the effect, is it the same for both or is there a difference between them.

I will be offering the retro's this year as well. We will have the 5" and 7" C7 version available. Mixing these in, with our Blizzard tubes really is a nice effect!

Ponddude wrote:

I will be offering the retro's this year as well. We will have the 5" and 7" C7 version available. Mixing these in, with our Blizzard tubes really is a nice effect!

Price??

I won't know for sure until after the 8th (Chinese New Year and all) but it looks like they should be between 5 and 8 dollars. Again, I will confirm before our pre-order starts.

We are going to be offering many new things this year, one of which being LED bulbs, including the icicles.

Fred1969 wrote:

I am looking at the dripping icicles offered by CDI and was wondering what the difference was between the retrofit tube at $7.25 each and the 5 piece set at $90.00? I understand the obvious differences. I was wondering about the effect, is it the same for both or is there a difference between them.

Hi Fred,

I only have experience with one of the models Paul offers. It's the ones that are shown in the first of Jim's links. Personally I wish I hadn't gotten them - the speed is so slow you could almost call it lethargic, and they all descend in synchronization for about the first 30 seconds. Didn't work at all for where I wanted to use them.

George Simmons wrote:

- the speed is so slow you could almost call it lethargic,

George...are they even slower than in the video??

Ponddude wrote:

We are going to be offering many new things this year, one of which being LED bulbs, including the icicles.

Just curious, you speak of icicles, are you referring to a new breed of blizzards, or something different? Any sneak peaks?

The icicles we are offering are the ones that Jim posted the videos of. However, I am using a different supplier and these icicles are not regulated so they have varying speeds and they are much faster than the ones in the videos.

Blizzard is a whole different ball game but will still be available. Of course we always have some tricks up our sleeves....:)

I will be using the "Dripping Icicle Tube Lights" from CDI this year. I am aware of how they look on the video

I plan to hang them along my roof line and leave them on most of the time.

I think they will work for me. if not then I will have 10 sets for sale Jan 2012 :)

[align=left]

[/align]

My wife loves the CDI dripping icicles, as a local outdoor mall has them up year 'round, but I just couldn't justify the price...16 dollars a tube..ugh..:?

Still debating on the retrofits..obviously cheaper, but just not sure they will be what we want..

DonFL wrote:

Still debating on the retrofits..obviously cheaper, but just not sure they will be what we want..

This was the reason I started this thread. I was trying to figure out if they are what we want. Maybe I didn't word it correctly. So let's try again. Can someone tell me the difference in the way the 5 tube set looks while operating compared to the single retofit bulbs? The retrofits I am refering to are CDI's 24" or 48" tubes. I looked at the videos that were posted on the thread but they don't appear to be of the retrofit tubes that I am interested in. If they have the same speed and look of the 5" 7" 9" ones like in the one video I don't think I want them. Thank you for your help.

Fred

Shopko had these in 3 foot tubes and 5 tubes to a set.i bought 18 boxes.10 boxes at $24 and 8 boxes at $8 at 90% off.They were regular $80 a box.

Fred1969 wrote:

DonFL wrote:

This was the reason I started this thread. I was trying to figure out if they are what we want. Maybe I didn't word it correctly. So let's try again. Can someone tell me the difference in the way the 5 tube set looks while operating compared to the single retofit bulbs? The retrofits I am refering to are CDI's 24" or 48" tubes. I looked at the videos that were posted on the thread but they don't appear to be of the retrofit tubes that I am interested in. If they have the same speed and look of the 5" 7" 9" ones like in the one video I don't think I want them. Thank you for your help.

Fred

I guess its kind of hard to describe as far as the effect.

One thing I liked about the more expensive dripping tubes is they are so thin, it's like a very small beam of light dropping, and you don't see the body of the tube. The retrofit bulbs are larger, but a "wider' beam...

The bulbs you mention at 24 and 48 inches from CDI I don't see. A 24 or 48 inch bulb is something I'm not sure I've seen anywhere, to be honest.

Can you send a link? Its obvious neither of the styles shown in this thread are those...

DonFL wrote:

Fred1969 wrote:
DonFL wrote:

Fred

I guess its kind of hard to describe as far as the effect.

One thing I liked about the more expensive dripping tubes is they are so thin, it's like a very small beam of light dropping, and you don't see the body of the tube. The retrofit bulbs are larger, but a "wider' beam...

The bulbs you mention at 24 and 48 inches from CDI I don't see. A 24 or 48 inch bulb is something I'm not sure I've seen anywhere, to be honest.

Can you send a link? Its obvious neither of the styles shown in this thread are those...

Here is the link for the 24" and 48" retrofit tubes: http://www.creativedisplays.com/siteresources/data/files/retro%20fit%20falling%20icicle%20lights%2012-15-10.pdf

Here is the link for the 10", 20" and 40" 5 tube sets: http://www.creativedisplays.com/siteresources/data/files/dripping%20icicle%20tubes%2010-16-10.pdf

paul sessel wrote:

Here is a video of the 24 & 48 inch tubes:

http://www.youtube.com/user/creativedisplays#p/u/8/uKh7UJn_Ot8

Thank you for taking the time to jump in. I wasn't sure when I saw the video if these were the ones. Don't really like the looks of them. I think I am going to spend the extra money and get the set of five. How are they packaged for the presale. Is it one set of 5 for the price listed?

Fred1969 wrote:

paul sessel wrote:
Here is a video of the 24 & 48 inch tubes:

http://www.youtube.com/user/creativedisplays#p/u/8/uKh7UJn_Ot8

Thank you for taking the time to jump in. I wasn't sure when I saw the video if these were the ones. Don't really like the looks of them. I think I am going to spend the extra money and get the set of five. How are they packaged for the presale. Is it one set of 5 for the price listed?

I can answer that, as I was hoping Paul would give me a different answer when I emailed him a couple weeks ago, but no such luck...it is, as I understand it, per set of 5..so for a set of 5 of the 10 inch tubes, 90 bucks.