Light-O-Rama Forums

I little bit confuse

Danbel

nothing on the link, but searched for it and found it. If these came with LOR connections this could be a huge change for me. The price is cheap. If I am looking at this correctly.

So you say you have 20 strings, I presume that you have 50 LEDs per string. So each LED takes 3 channels, this would then be 20 strings x 50 LEDs per string x 3 channels per LED which equals 3000 channels. Now the IDMX supports 512 channels so that would mean 3000 channels / 512 channels which approxamitaly equals 6 LOR IDMX1000 units.

Now i would then wait a see what LOR release as far as a DMX dongle as Dan has said that they will have better DMX support and cheaper DMX dongle options to be released this year, as using the IDMX1000 would set you back a fair bit at $259 each.

Now a word of caution regarding the RGB LED strings you linked to, these depending on how you intend to use them may require additional sealing between the wires as water can tend to seep between the wires and damage the pixel.

Danbel wrote:

The string in this link has a WS2801 IC chip in each pixel. I believe that your DMX data will have to be fed into another controller that "talks" the 2801 protocol that the IC chips in each pixel will need to have in order to function.

JBullard wrote:

Danbel wrote:

The string in this link has a WS2801 IC chip in each pixel. I believe that your DMX data will have to be fed into another controller that "talks" the 2801 protocol that the IC chips in each pixel will need to have in order to function.

Correct, these pixels will only work with a controller that speaks the WS2801 protocol, anything else will just not work.

The other thing you could consider is waiting for LOR to release the CCB (cosmic colour bulbs) which are a similar product but work within an LOR world without DMX, they also come with the controller and the power supply. So when weighing everything up it may end up cheaper for you going this way then investing in IDMX1000 units, power supplies and controllers. Or you can just wait and see what comes out from LOR regarding cheaper DMX options.

Especially when you consider that while the iDMX will control 512 channels, it will only do effects like twinkle, shimmer, and fades on 128 channels at once. Yes, there will be a more cost effective DMX solution, but how much more powerfull a computer will it take? You already need more just for the high channel count, never mind doing all the work of the iDMX in your computer now.

-klb- wrote:

Especially when you consider that while the iDMX will control 512 channels, it will only do effects like twinkle, shimmer, and fades on 128 channels at once. Yes, there will be a more cost effective DMX solution, but how much more powerfull a computer will it take? You already need more just for the high channel count, never mind doing all the work of the iDMX in your computer now.

I did 2200 channels with a dual core 3GHZ using other software, yes it was slow creating the sequence in some parts but the show ran faultlessly. This year the software i use will support multi core and multi threading so i expect massive improvements in performance. Im not sure if LOR already takes advantage of multi cores and multi threads but I would believe that this is a must for the future when dealing with sequencing large channel counts and I would think that LOR has either already done this or is planning this for there next major release.

As far as the computer doing all the work i cant see how the load would increase as all the IDMX does is converts the LOR protocol to DMX so i would think the load would be the same.

edvas69 wrote:

As far as the computer doing all the work i cant see how the load would increase as all the IDMX does is converts the LOR protocol to DMX so i would think the load would be the same.

The thing is that the protocols require different computational resources on the sending and recieving end.

DMX requires almost zero brains on the recieving end. It would be a mess, but you could impliment a DMX dimmer with 7400 TTL logic. The trade off is that the device generating the DMX must compute the intensity levels to go in each and every DMX frame. The network has a constant stream of frames, and the lighting intensity only updates when a new frame is recieved, with a new value.

By contrast, a LOR controller has a fairly powerful micro controller dealing with just 16 channels. So you can have the controller do a lot of computation that has to be done on the computer in DMX. A LOR command from the computer basically says, over the next time interval, do this. For example, over the next second, dim from 100% to 10%. These are basically the commands that are stored in the XML file, but in a different format. So all the control computer has to do, is send out these commands at the appropriate times.

In contrast, for DMX, ideally, the computer is sending out 44 frames per second, and for any channel that is doing something different this frame, than the last one, the computer must calculate the new value. Unless you want to try and store every frame in a file to play back...

KenL_MCSE wrote:

CNote ordered some, they should be here this week. i will ask him to post his findings and videos... they look very cool!!!! DIRT cheap too

pssst., I ordered NON-pixel stuff, RGB stings. Shhhhheeeee, it's a secrete....:)

cenote wrote:

KenL_MCSE wrote:
CNote ordered some, they should be here this week. i will ask him to post his findings and videos... they look very cool!!!! DIRT cheap too

pssst., I ordered NON-pixel stuff, RGB stings. Shhhhheeeee, it's a secrete....:)

• The topic was locked