Light-O-Rama Forums

DIY 4 color LED Net light..

-klb-

The camera angle somehow makes this look square, but in person, it is about 3 foot wide, and 2 foot high, usable dimensions. These are 4 70 count C6 LED strings. I started with the white string laid out straight, and brough in the red string adjacent, 1/2 space offset. Then, at every red bulb, I wire tied to the white string, half way between bulbs. I stopped I think at 8 bulbs.

Then I brought in the green string, starting even with the white string, wire tying at each bulb, to the middle of the spaces in the Red string. Now repeat with blue, even with the red, and tied to the green. Now, fold the white back down, next to the blue. Leave one bulb loose at the end, so that you can stretch things out after the fact. Tie at each bulb to the midpoints on the blue string..

Now wash, rinse, and repeat, through a couple hundred wire ties. I find that it is not that inclined to fold back up as hapily as a commercial net. But I found that if I fold it once, top top bottom, then roll end to end, it comes out about 6 inches in diameter, and maybe 16 inches long.. I have not tried to fit this in one of the totes, to tell how many would fit in one. It might actually store better, if I fold in half top to bottom, then Z-fold lengthwise, because it shoule come out closer to rectilinear, but I'm leaving that for an experiment for another day. I think that while these will take a ton of time to build, they will save a ton of time at set up time.. Don't think I will have photos of them lit up any time soon, but they look pretty darn good to me...

Now, one of the products that has not got a lot of press in the new products discussion this year is something I think they are calling the 4P controller. From what I have read, I think it is going to be a little, weather resistant package, that plugs into an extension cord that has the PLC LOR signal, and has 4 AC channels. Imagine, one SPT cord through the flower bed, with an attach on outlet at each shrub. Then each shrub has one of these nets, and a 4P controller.. Very cool. Another application for the 4P that I think people may have overlooked is how much they clean up a row of 4 color LED mini trees. One 4P controller in each tree, and the SPT2 running power and signal to the whole row of them..

Attached files 235945=12882-LED-4-Color-net.JPG

Our HOA rules state that we must have a neat planting bed along the front of the house that prevents the edge of the slab from being seen from the street. So nearly everyone has a low row of shrubs along the front. Something like this would give some great opportunity for side to side color fades and sweeps.. Laying out 4 layers of conventional net lights has always been a thorn in my side. Especially as I have not been able to find green ones, and not enough blue or white, so I've been laying those out on the shrubs by hand.

Then there are others would not be able to find 2 foot tall shrubs under the snow this time of year..

Brandon Kibler wrote:

That looks great! I'm going to have give this idea a try if you don't mind.

Help yourself. If I had any trade secrets, they wouldn't be posted here. :D