Light-O-Rama Forums

Facebook or Website

Aaron Maue

I want to set up some 'net presence to let folks know about show schedule, details of the setup, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations whether a Facebook page or a website is better.

I already have some server space and can do the webpage design stuff, but with the ease of Facebook, I'm tending to lean in that direction.

All thoughts are much appreciated.

Aaron

What I found works for me is both. Have a website that is not on Facebook that will allow you to build as you see fit free from the restrictions of facebook. I have seen too many groups get closed unfairly or users banned without explanation. I would not trust them to serve as a host for a "website".

You can create a fan page for your site and some people will join and see it. It is a great way to put out quick updates regarding your display.

But what I really found out that works was to hook up with two of the most popular people in the area (both have 5K friends) and post about your display with the "friends of friends" setting checked.

On the days I used FB to post updates to the display, our traffic increased significantly.

hope this helps

My brother is building my website, and he suggested using a Facebook Fan page as the "blog" section. He would then embed the FB page into the website. It's not done yet, if you are interested in how it works let me know and I'll follow up when I see how he did it.

Funny, I'm the programmer and he's the graphic artist but he knows how do that & I don't

:P

I like the website. I can control the content on the pages as well as organize it a little more to my liking. I don't know if I want other people's unedited comments on my Christmas page. I would have to follow FB closer than I like.

I think both also.....but i just have facebook for ours bc its free and easy.....we can posted videos and photos directly from our cell phones and it seems like everyone is on there these days and usually people in the same city of yours can look you up alot quicker than a website. we started ours alittle before halloween and we have over 170 ppl on there already and really didnt push ppl to look us up on there either, next year we are going to have it on the audio in the show to look us up on Facebook.

Dont get me wrong I would love to have a website but just dont have the $$$ flow now, I rather buy another controlller box instead of having a webpage......

I would have to say website only, though I have a facebook account I only use it for contact with my immediate family. I have really grown weary of all the political content that friends seem to post as well as all the friend request and such. As stated a couple threads up if you do the website then you control the content.

caniac wrote:

I would have to say website only, though I have a facebook account I only use it for contact with my immediate family. I have really grown weary of all the political content that friends seem to post as well as all the friend request and such. As stated a couple threads up if you do the website then you control the content.

You got it!

You can always put a post on your Facebook to your website and get the "double exposure" without having to create a seperate FB and having Obama quotes all over it.:D

NickByrd wrote:

caniac wrote:

You got it!

You can always put a post on your Facebook to your website and get the "double exposure" without having to create a seperate FB and having Obama quotes all over it.:D
exactly or NRA or whatever.

Thanks, all. Some points I hadn't even considered. I think I'm leaning now to do both. If FB becomes too political (or I get tired of policing it), I'll kill it and just stick with the website. But I'm very much fond of the ease of update to the FB fan page.

Aaron Maue wrote:

Thanks, all. Some points I hadn't even considered. I think I'm leaning now to do both. If FB becomes too political (or I get tired of policing it), I'll kill it and just stick with the website. But I'm very much fond of the ease of update to the FB fan page.

You don't have to use your personal facebook page, you can create a "fan page" that is only for "fans" of your show.

That's the plan. Trying to get some of this stuff taken care of so I'm not doing it last minute. I expect I'll be burning up all my spare time in November setting up and sequencing.

I use both, I like to use the facebook page as a "blog" and lots of people enjoy quick updates with the display.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brown-Christmas-Light-Show/165982980080491

But the website has lots of details and how to's for those who want more information.

http://www.brownchristmaslightshow.com/christmas-lights.html

Jeremy B.

I've been hosting websites for years. I own a few servers in NYC that are very reliable. $34.99 per year (plus $9.99 per year for a domain name if needed) will get you plenty of space and bandwidth for any type of personal site you could think of. All you have to do is add a design and content.

http://nurples.com/order.php?subject=plan_compare

Save 10% by using Coupon Code: LOR10

We use both..

Have found both an excellent way of sharing information. Facebook makes for easy quick updates and messages without having to constantly update the website. I will be updating the website soon to include some of the great comments left for us on the facebook page. The 'younger' generation loved it when they could 'add us' or 'like us' on Facebook.

Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/christmasonbisley

Website

http://www.christmasonbisley.com

Don't have my FB fan page set up yet, but discovered that the package I'm already paying for with my personal website allows me to add unlimited other sites and leverage the same storage/bandwidth. I just had to buy the domain name and point it to the right directory on the server.

Done deal. I now have the domain name I want and will be setting the site's shell up over the coming weeks.

I'll be setting up the FB fan page with name to match shortly.

Thanks again, everyone.

Aaron