Light-O-Rama Forums

newbie question about CCR's and wrapping trees

bwaldrep

I have been contacted by a city to upgrade their current downtown area, a few city blocks worth. After our initial meeting, they would like to explore wrapping thier trees (trunks, and a few high branches) with LED lights, which will slowly change colors, every few minutes or so.

My 1st thought was LOR CCR's, however I have never played with them, so I'm not sure how they would look in this application, and/or function.

From what I have read here very quickly. You can not connect ribbons end to end, so if a tree needs 10+ ribbons, I would have 10+ power plugs to plug in, plus each of those 10+ controllers per tree to daisy chain into the standard LOR network, correct?

I would also assume that each CCR controller could be set with the same unit ID, so the whole tree acts as one, when it comes to sequencing, correct?

Other then the LOR CCR's, are there any other products, which may give a similar look (a row of trees along the road, slowly fading from color to color)

Brent

PS attached is a sample of some of the trees.

Attached files 235582=12854-IMG_1065.jpg

EDIT: You posted more info, as I was typing, so I'm doing some reading, but I think C9 size bulbs may be a bit on the big size to wrap the trunk of these trees. Unless LOR does actually produce the smaller ones.

We also need to have solid info within the next few weeks for this proposal, which looks like is different then the current LOR schedule, but thank you for the info, any other thoughts?

bwaldrep wrote:

My 1st thought was LOR CCR's, however I have never played with them, so I'm not sure how they would look in this application, and/or function.

Are you looking to change the color of the entire tree at the same time or individual "bulbs" in the tree? the cost implications of the two answers can be dramatically different.

Fabian

The whole tree at the same time. However they don't just want 2 or 3 colors. I originally pitched the idea of using a red strand, green strand, etc. They want every color in the rainbow type of a solution.

bwaldrep wrote:

The whole tree at the same time. However they don't just want 2 or 3 colors. I originally pitched the idea of using a red strand, green strand, etc. They want every color in the rainbow type of a solution.

well..I was going to suggest wrapping it with individual strings of LED's...Red, Green, Blue and White, but since you posted the above...

You could still bid the CCR's at $250, then if and when LOR comes out with the smaller bulb CCB, buy them..which Ithink would give you a lot more coverage for the money (16' vs 66').

Thank you, the CCB's do seem like a much better fit, lets just see if they become available shortly.

Does anyone know of any other products already on the market that is similar, or is LOR really a front runner when it comes to things like this?

do a Google search on RGB led bulb strings..

you'll get a few thousand choices...

but I am sure someone else will give you a direct link...

If anyone has any direct links to products you have used, please let me know.

LOR doesn't appear to want to work with us on this project. Also, has their phone hours always been 10am - 4pm M-F? with no ability to leave a VM?

• The topic was locked