Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help understanding triggers

Amie

Can someone help me understand what my options are with LOR for using a trigger? I know that it works with X10, but are there other options as well? Is there documentation somewhere on how to set this up? Even if it's just documentation for the X10, I would appreciate a link. Thanks

Triggers can be inputs to the controllers. You can set them up as either a Normally open contact that you close to make something happen, or normally closed where the switch opens when you press it.

You will need to get a little header device sold by LOR that will allow the connection of wires on the 18 pin header on the circuit board. How the triggers behave is defined in the show editor.

You can read more about them in the help file.

Chuck

Amie wrote:

Can someone help me understand what my options are with LOR for using a trigger? I know that it works with X10, but are there other options as well? Is there documentation somewhere on how to set this up? Even if it's just documentation for the X10, I would appreciate a link. Thanks

If you have one of the following:

CTB16D, CTB16K, CTB16KD, CTB16PC, LOR1600W, LOR1602W and LOR1602MP3.

You need one or more of these:

http://store.lightorama.com/ctinco3in.html

and here is how you hook it up:

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/CTB16_HEADER.pdf

cmoore60 wrote:

Triggers can be inputs to the controllers. You can set them up as either a Normally open contact that you close to make something happen, or normally closed where the switch opens when you press it.

You will need to get a little header device sold by LOR that will allow the connection of wires on the 18 pin header on the circuit board. How the triggers behave is defined in the show editor.

You can read more about them in the help file.

Chuck

Here's a stupid question....when you say 'help file', exactly what help file are you talking about? Are you talking about the support documents? Or the wiki? If there are other help files, I don't know about them and would like to. Thanks.

Amie wrote:

Here's a stupid question....when you say 'help file', exactly what help file are you talking about? Are you talking about the support documents? Or the wiki? If there are other help files, I don't know about them and would like to. Thanks.

I would imagine Chuck is speaking about the "HELP" tab all the way to the right of the toolbar at the top of your screen in almost every software application..

jimswinder wrote:

Amie wrote:

If you have one of the following:

CTB16D, CTB16K, CTB16KD, CTB16PC, LOR1600W, LOR1602W and LOR1602MP3.

You need one or more of these:

http://store.lightorama.com/ctinco3in.html

and here is how you hook it up:

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/CTB16_HEADER.pdf

Jim gave you very helpful links.

Just make sure if you are using the 16Ds that you are using the blue (newer version) boards, not the green (older ones), as they don't have the same 18 pin header!

For my older version (green) boards I simply soldered wires directly to the pins to connect the switches. You can only have 2 inputs per green board however, as opposed to the three per board the blue boards allow.

The header is a great way to hook up inputs on the blue boards. It's fast and easy!

I have been using inputs for the last 2 years, allowing the visitors to select what they want to see and hear. They love it, and it helps me determine what type of holiday music they prefer!

Greg

Great info from everyone, thanks.

Greg, would you be willing to take a picture of your green board and posting it? I would be interested in knowing how you did that. What is the difference in the green boards and the blue boards? Are the blue boards newer? Or a different model? I'm pretty sure all of ours are green, but I will have to ask my husband. He's packed all of them away except the 2 I am going to be using for my current project.

We buy 2-3 CTB16PC's every year, so would some of them have the blue boards?

I have the miniDirector with MP3 Player, I never realized it had input triggers. This will work, right? But it would be nice to have more than just 3.

I haven't really told you guys what I am doing this for, but I may need some help with my project. It is actually unrelated to Christmas lights. It's nice to know that there are people on the forum during non-christmas months willing to help. Thank you!

Amie wrote:

Great info from everyone, thanks.

Greg, would you be willing to take a picture of your green board and posting it? I would be interested in knowing how you did that. What is the difference in the green boards and the blue boards? Are the blue boards newer? Or a different model? I'm pretty sure all of ours are green, but I will have to ask my husband. He's packed all of them away except the 2 I am going to be using for my current project.

We buy 2-3 CTB16PC's every year, so would some of them have the blue boards?

I have the miniDirector with MP3 Player, I never realized it had input triggers. This will work, right? But it would be nice to have more than just 3.

I haven't really told you guys what I am doing this for, but I may need some help with my project. It is actually unrelated to Christmas lights. It's nice to know that there are people on the forum during non-christmas months willing to help. Thank you!

I think the 16pc boards may all be green. I was referring to the 16Ds - the older ones were green, the newer blue.

The minidirector has the ability to use 6 inputs, so you should go with that instead!

LOR sells a little strip that plugs directly into the minidirector's header, which has screw terminals allowing your use of up to 6 switches, and there is no soldering involved!!

You can find that on the LOR main page - the product section.

Have fun!

Greg

Amie wrote:

It's nice to know that there are people on the forum during non-christmas months willing to help.

Wait??

What??? There are non-Christmas months?

When did this happen?!?!?!?!? :)

Greg Young

The minidirector has the ability to use 6 inputs, so you should go with that instead!

LOR sells a little strip that plugs directly into the minidirector's header, which has screw terminals allowing your use of up to 6 switches, and there is no soldering involved!!

You can find that on the LOR main page - the product section.

Have fun!

Greg

I obviously don't know what I'm doing YET, I would like to think that eventually I'll have a handle on this. But in reading the directions for the mini-director, it indicated that only 1,2 and 3 were available for switches. Here's what it says....

Terminal Block Pins
Pin Description
1 Start show 1
2 Start show 2
3 Start show 3
4 Ground
5 +5 volts DC output
6 +9 volts DC output –or–+9 volts DC input

Are you saying that 4,5 and 6 can also be used to receive triggers? I understand 4 = ground. But I don't understand what 5 & 6 are for.

Greg, can you send me a link to the strip you are talking about? I obviously have a hard enough time finding what I need, even when I have it in my own house. :)

jimswinder wrote:

Amie wrote: 
It's nice to know that there are people on the forum during non-christmas months willing to help.

Wait??

What???  There are non-Christmas months?

When did this happen?!?!?!?!?  :)

Sorry about that Jim...I was just kidding. Just keeping working on your Christmas display, it's right around the corner.

Amie wrote:

Sorry about that Jim...I was just kidding. Just keeping working on your Christmas display, it's right around the corner.

Whew...for a minute there I was thinking I was going to have to take a few hours off... :shock:

Amie wrote:

Greg Young

You can find that on the LOR main page - the product section.

Have fun!

Greg

I obviously don't know what I'm doing YET, I would like to think that eventually I'll have a handle on this. But in reading the directions for the mini-director, it indicated that only 1,2 and 3 were available for switches. Here's what it says....

Terminal Block Pins
Pin Description
1 Start show 1
2 Start show 2
3 Start show 3
4 Ground
5 +5 volts DC output
6 +9 volts DC output –or–+9 volts DC input

Are you saying that 4,5 and 6 can also be used to receive triggers? I understand 4 = ground. But I don't understand what 5 & 6 are for.

Greg, can you send me a link to the strip you are talking about? I obviously have a hard enough time finding what I need, even when I have it in my own house. :D

Mea culpa - I mispoke! That's what happens when you try to multitask while at work...

The LOR mp3 player/director is what I was referring to. I don't have a minidirector, and therefore don't have a manual on it, but what you listed suggests it has only 3 switches, not the 6 the regular mp3 director has.

The standard mp3 player has an 18 pin header, with ground on the left, followed by 5 volt and 9 volt taps, then A1 - A6, for the 6 input switches, then B1 - B8, followed by another ground - 18 pins & taps total.

Hope that clears it up.

Greg