Light-O-Rama Forums

New Visualizer

cenote

Wondering if LOR could "slip" and tell us if it is worth drawing your new layout in the old version, or wait till the new version comes out, hopefully soon. With all the leaks and talk of what the new version visualizer is able to do, is it still worth drawing hundred and hundreds of channels and pixels in this version? Will there be a way to convert old groups of channels, into a new group like you talk about? ex...60 channel century tree, will I be able to highlight the old version tree, and convert to somesort or group so i can drag around the screen?

I am out a point sequencing 2011, with numerous tracks being sequenced, I would like to see it all together, but am VERY afraid of wasting what will take me a better part of a day to make a new visualizer.

Any hints Dan....

Thanks, chuck

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• cenote

• ace_master

• jem5136

I'm looking at moving from 32 channels to over 4500 channels (including a 2400 channel CCB Mega Tree, and a 1800 CCB screen... and other plans).

I could really use some info on this new sequencer... hoping for a lot of simplicity for CCB, CCF, and CCR Matrix's, mega trees, and such.

You can only have 4000 channels in a LOR network, but you can have up to 4 networks(i think) as of now. But I would like to know if there will be a new visualizer too. I think it would be cool if LOR could have a new visualizer.

Shanta wrote:

How the heck do you get to 4500 channels!? Surely not by daisy-chaining 300 LORs? I'm sure it has to do with RGB pixels and controllers I've never heard of... Just curious

Each Cosmic Color Bulb is 3 channels (Red, Green, Blue)... there are 50 bulbs on a string...
- 3 channels x 50 bulbs = 150 channels per string of 50 CCBs.

My Mega tree is going to have at least 16 strings of CosmicColorBulbs
- 150 channel strings x 16 strings = 2400 channels for the mega tree.

My screen is planned to have another 12 strings of CosmicColorBulbs.
- 150 channel strings x 12 strings = 1800 channels for the screen.

I hope that makes sense Shanta.

jem5136 wrote:
You can only have 4000 channels in a LOR network, but you can have up to 4 networks(i think) as of now. But I would like to know if there will be a new visualizer too. I think it would be cool if LOR could have a new visualizer.

I guess i'll have to get a few more network adapters form LOR when I buy the Bulbs. Thanks:)

I think that 3,840 was the theoretical channel limit when the biggest controller was 16 channels. Now, with an IDMX allowing at least 256 on a single controller ID, (if not 512) and the CCR and CCB products allowing 150 or 300 on a single controller, I suppose you could address 72,000 channels on one network.

But the practical limitations of how many command you can send come into play first. I think I saw where Dan suggested that if you have very active sequences, you may want to limit to 300 CCB, or about 900 channels on one network.

But, version 2.9.4 increased the limit from 4 data networks to 16.

-klb- wrote:

I think that 3,840 was the theoretical channel limit when the biggest controller was 16 channels. Now, with an IDMX allowing at least 256 on a single controller ID, (if not 512) and the CCR and CCB products allowing 150 or 300 on a single controller, I suppose you could address 72,000 channels on one network.

But the practical limitations of how many command you can send come into play first. I think I saw where Dan suggested that if you have very active sequences, you may want to limit to 300 CCB, or about 900 channels on one network.

But, version 2.9.4 increased the limit from 4 data networks to 16.
FWIW: I have an iDMX1000, and they do 512 channels.

I don't know if it would make any difference at all for active sequences, but my entire network uses insulated Cat6 cable.

I might have to shoot an email to LOR about what my best options are for all this chaos I have planned, lol.

There was a period of time where they first allowed single ID mode, and still only supported 256 channels. I never really paid attention to the details when they went to 512 to check to see if they retained it all on one ID, or if the second half wound up on a second ID. The 128 iChan limit is the one that I have cared about for what I have been doing..

The networks can be configured for 3 speeds. Better cable may allow for better stability at a given configured speed, but it won't make things run faster by itself. So you might be able to run high speed at a greater distance than you might on phone cord. Not sure it makes much difference compared to cat 5.. After all, high speed is only 144Kbps, and most cat5e is tested through 350Mhz, or only about 2,000 times faster than the high speed network setting.

ace_master,
I know nothing about DMX, but still, how do you program that many channels?
I only have 48 channels, normal controllers, and I found 48 channels for 10 songs very, very time consuming.
I have a lot to learn!

I have a lot to learn this year, hense my interest in the new software. I plan on using a lot of macros (a few clicks should be able to create an effect over a couple hundred channels.
At this point, i think my head is ahead of what the software can do for me. Once i get the rundown on the new software, i plan on sending a small list of suggestions and ideas to wishlist@lightorama.com.
If i knew much of anything about programming software, i'd do it myself, but i only ever got as far as visual basics programming in highschool, lol.

-klb- wrote:

From my experience with severe latency on very active sequences, I would try to keep active networks to 500 channels or less. If you're using CCRs and run them in 50-pixel mode and have lots of activity, I'd drop that to 300 (6 CCRs).

Fabian

Most people using those huge channel count RGB displays are using LSP (Lightshow Pro), which has some RGB tools that are pretty far ahead of LOR S2 currently. Personally, I think the software is playing catchup with the hardware for RGB stuff still. You really need an automatic or semi-automatic wizard approach to large scale RGB sequencing. The new version of LOR S2 should begin to close that gap, I hope. I"m not personally big into pixel level RGB control for most items, but thing RGB strings / strips is where the sweet spot might end up being, with RGB pixel control being for certain feature items only. I will say that LSP visualizer has some things which puts LOR to shame, but in many other ways I find LOR S2 preferable still, and much faster and less laggy. LSP has the features, technology and compatibility, but LOR S2 still feels more polished and reliable right now.

Most people using those huge channel count RGB displays are using LSP (Lightshow Pro), which has some RGB tools that are pretty far ahead of LOR S2 currently. Personally, I think the software is playing catchup with the hardware for RGB stuff still. You really need an automatic or semi-automatic wizard approach to large scale RGB sequencing. The new version of LOR S2 should begin to close that gap, I hope. I"m not personally big into pixel level RGB control for most items, but thing RGB strings / strips is where the sweet spot might end up being, with RGB pixel control being for certain feature items only. I will say that LSP visualizer has some things which puts LOR to shame, but in many other ways I find LOR S2 preferable still, and much faster and less laggy. LSP has the features, technology and compatibility, but LOR S2 still feels more polished and reliable right now.

Great, buy the time Dan get threw reading this thread, he will have forgotten the original question, and be answering about DMX channel counts....:X

Just a simple question, is it worth designing a new Visualizer layout in the current version of S2, or should we wait to be drawing all those little dots. Thanks Dan :P

cenote wrote:

Great, buy the time Dan get threw reading this thread, he will have forgotten the original question, and be answering about DMX channel counts....:X

Just a simple question, is it worth designing a new Visualizer layout in the current version of S2, or should we wait to be drawing all those little dots. Thanks Dan :P

Yes please do tell...I've started the drawing, but hesitant on should I finish or not. He mentioned last week OR the week before that he would let us know by the end of that week. (if that makes sense) ... Here we are, waiting on the $1M question :)

Sorry to have sent the thread spiraling off topic :? I am starting from scratch with my sequencing, but I am not going to do anything elaborate in the visualizer for now. Even if the new one does wonders on importing old visualizations, I expect the new drawing tools to be vastly improved so why spend ten hours doing something today that you should be able to accomplish in one tomorrow (or in May, or whenever). So for now I will make do with very sketchy, rough previsualizations.

cenote wrote:

Sorry about that Cenote, wasnt trying to hijack the thread:? I'm more interested in managing the visualizer than my channels right now too.

ace_master wrote

Sorry about that Cenote, wasnt trying to hijack the thread:? I'm more interested in managing the visualizer than my channels right now too.

:P:)

Sorry, I would like to know the answer to your question on whether to redesign (your display) now or after the new visualizer is released as well.