Sign in to follow this  
jimswinder

LOR Prices for NEW Items

JBullard wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
dmoore wrote:
You can see in the following video the design that the CCB's are based on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAh1gg0u8Xk
So where can we get those Light Strings on the arch?!?!?!
Just order the CCBs from Dan

No...it appeared the ones on the arch were strictly Red, Green Blue and white...and certainly not C9's...

jimswinder wrote:

dmoore wrote:

That was a prototype of the PLC controller developed by someone outside of LOR - his design was conceived prior to pixels coming onto the market, though all the other aspects are nearly the same.

dmoore wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
dmoore wrote:

That was a prototype of the PLC controller developed by someone outside of LOR - his design was conceived prior to pixels coming onto the market, though all the other aspects are nearly the same.

Were the light strings a prototype also?

jimswinder wrote:

JBullard wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
Just order the CCBs from Dan

No...it appeared the ones on the arch were strictly Red, Green Blue and white...and certainly not C9's...

Any RGB pixel can make almost any color. I have never seen a RGB pixel that was limited to ONLY four colors. If he only sent the commands to produce only the 4 colors, then that is all you saw.

C9's ? Go back through this thread and look at the picture of the CCB posted on Jan 18. Those look to be 8mm pixels and not C9. Dan said they are considering offering both form factors.

I hope so, I would prefer the 8mm size and would not buy them if they were only C9

JBullard wrote:

C9's ? Go back through this thread and look at the picture of the CCB posted on Jan 18. Those look to be 8mm pixels and not C9. Dan said they are considering offering both form factors.

I hope so, I would prefer the 8mm size and would not buy them if they were only C9

Yes, but the key word there is "considering"...though I thought Dan mentioned they WOULD offer both

I would hope after seeing most of the comments on this thread that they would know that majority of us would prefer the smaller bulbs...

jimswinder wrote:

dmoore wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
dmoore wrote:

The RGB strings have been around for several years. Lot's of the DIY'ers used the 8mm strings in their displays this past year, and other companies also sold the fully assembled strings and controllers last year also.

Almost every forum has dozens of videos with RGB strings used in 2010 displays.

There are two limits to consider with an Injector.

1) 14 amps maximum AC draw through the Injector.

2) Network bandwidth.

Rule of thumb: 300 RGB pixels (900 channels) maximum if you are manipulating the individual pixels a lot using LOR protocol. If you use a lot of macros, then many more RGB pixels will work well on one network. DMX is limited to 512 channels, so that would be 150 RGB pixels.

One correction: The CCB has two RJ45 jacks, no RJ12 phone cable jack. Like the LOR4P AC controller, it searches for LOR/DMX on the power line and RS485 interfaces. Whichever it finds first it uses until it loses sync.

Here is a quick drawing of the Injector and PLC devices:

Attached files Visio-InjectorDrawing.pdf

What is the LOR4P controller?

Are you releasing a 4 channel controller? If you are, all I have to say is it's about time! haha :P

Thanks Dan! I have the perfect application for the RGB's - and you'll save me money too!

Jeff Millard wrote:

John's Visio drawing has finally cleared up something I've been trying to figure out since first hearing of these wonderful new toys. It appears that the injector is an alternative way to provide data to the CCB controllers. Per John's statement here, the production controllers can either be wired into the network using cat5... or the network signal can be injected into the power line omitting the need for data cables to the controllers. Neat idea, but I've had no problems with data cables, so I'll just wire them.

Next question: Does anyone have a source for a 100' bulk roll of the 4 conductor ribbon cable they're using to connect these? I'm gonna cut them up and put the sections where I need them... Along the lines that outline my house.

Jeff

I used this wire. I also used these waterproof connectors to connect the lengths of RGB LED strips I needed around my windows and roof line.

heystew wrote:

Not sure how well it will hold up outdoors for extended periods, but here is some 18AWG, 4 conductor speaker wire from Monoprice for $16/100ft
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023904&p_id=4043&seq=1&format=2

I used that exact spool from mono. The gauge was a little too big for the small solder spots. But I liked having the four colors. My project was to cut each of 4 CCRs into 5 pieces and connect them back up into a matrix.

Redbirdruss wrote:

I was just thinking that the CCB's would look great on my indoor christmas tree. The possibilities are endless!

I was thinking the same thing, especially if we can get the bulbs with smaller "covers". I envision starting out with single color then slowly one bulb at a time fade to another color until the tree is a new color then move on to another color. I'd do it manually for a few bulbs then look a the XML and write a program generate randomly a new XML file to across 4 or 5 colors ending the the same state I started so it could loop. Maybe toss in "random" twinkles of white too.

Alas the budget won't allow me to do that this year, though there will be some outside. 2010 was my first year & I'm jumping in deep for next year.

Guest wbottomley

Don Gillespie wrote:

OK I might be out to lunch here exactly how many channels on an LOR controller will be required to work the CCB's lets just use a 50 count string for easy calculations that way I will understand this a little better.

Don, I have no idea what you are looking for... but, 1 pixel is 3 channels. So multiply 3 times the number of pixels and that is the number of channels you'll be sequencing.

Plus... the channel counts in everyone's signature is very subjective with rgb devices.

So the way I see it... it's not the number of channels you have but the number of devices.

How much are the controllers?
How many does each controller handle?
Will each controller handle more than one run of nodes?
Is the controller the same controller whether it is cat 5 or PL with just an option to make the difference between the cat5/PL or are they totally separate animals?

Guest wbottomley

FBW4 wrote:

Is the controller the same controller whether it is cat 5 or PL with just an option to make the difference between the cat5/PL or are they totally separate animals?

Is that sarcasm? If so, I love it. :P

If not, you're living under a rock. Start reading at page one of this thread and all your questions will be answered.

FBW4 wrote:

I think Dan made a post answering your questions on this thread. -> http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum25/25718-1.html

OK now I know I am a little slow sometimes, just call it due to age, I have a question and that is Where are you seeing this information and where can I go get the information on the CCB's?

Roger Leon Forbes wrote:

OK now I know I am a little slow sometimes, just call it due to age, I have a question and that is Where are you seeing this information and where can I go get the information on the CCB's?
Read this thread from the beginning (particularly posts by LightORamaDan) and you will find just about everything that we currently know.

You can also read the following thread for info... http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum81/25276.html

jimswinder wrote:

dmoore wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
dmoore wrote:

Sort of - I recall he said he had a thousand or so strings of them made. All hand soldered in china.

dmoore wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
dmoore wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
dmoore wrote:

Sort of - I recall he said he had a thousand or so strings of them made. All hand soldered in china.

When we had those prototypes built I was not 100% happy with them but they worked. I think it was 500 strings but but it could have been 1000...

Dan

Guest Don Gillespie

Mountainwxman wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:
OK I might be out to lunch here exactly how many channels on an LOR controller will be required to work the CCB's lets just use a 50 count string for easy calculations that way I will understand this a little better.

Don, I have no idea what you are looking for... but, 1 pixel is 3 channels. So multiply 3 times the number of pixels and that is the number of channels you'll be sequencing.

Plus... the channel counts in everyone's signature is very subjective with rgb devices.

So the way I see it... it's not the number of channels you have but the number of devices.

What I was wondering is will one channel from the LOR controller controll a complete string of a 50 count CCB (all three colors) or do you need to use 3 channells (one for each color)??

The pixel controller connects to your LOR Network, just like any other controller (CTB16, etc). No channels from your existing controllers are used.

Here's a quick snapshot of LOR S2 setup with 7 RGB pixels.
Each pixel is represented by a single row in the sequencer, but can be expanded to show the 3 channels that make up that pixel. In the below picture, Pixels 7 has been expanded to show the 3 channels that make it up.

S2RGB.jpg