Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Prices for NEW Items

jimswinder

Jeff Millard wrote:

I'm getting "Pixels" lots and lots of "Pixels...

Jeff has been in denial for a long, long time now...

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• JBullard

• ace_master

• ItsMeBobO

Jeff Millard wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:
With the 100 bulb package the controller will be in the middle. All 100 bulbs will be individually addressable.

Just trying to be sure what I'm in for... Does this mean that a 100 bulb set will require and entire controller? A previous post said the controller could handle two sets of lights. So I'm guessing that "two sets" is 50 x 2, as John previously said the controller could handles 157 x 2 channels.

If this is the case, then 4 sets of 100 would take up the total channels of four controllers.

Jeff

Hey Jeff - the way I understand it, two sets is 50x2, yes... but you're forgetting that each pixel is 3 channels...so each controller is controlling 150 (+/-) channels x 2. Does that make more sense to you. I'm afraid I'm all about the pixellation too. NJ will be 3 degrees cooler next year with the absence of your and my incandescents!

Your 4 sets of 100 (as I read it) are really 8 sets of 50, and so 4 full controllers. They didn't mention anything about strings that are 100 pixels long, unless I missed a post...

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

They didn't mention anything about strings that are 100 pixels long, unless I missed a post... .

I think he is referring to what Dan had said...that a string(s) of 100 bulbs would be about $200.

Plus Jeff's mouth can't form the letters to speak L-E-D...so he says pixels... :)

jimswinder wrote:

DownTown wrote:
They didn't mention anything about strings that are 100 pixels long, unless I missed a post... .

I think he is referring to what Dan had said...that a string(s) of 100 bulbs would be about $200.

Plus Jeff's mouth can't form the letters to speak L-E-D...so he says pixels... :)

As I remember, it was controllers with 50 pixels or 100 pixels. that would be with either one or two 50 pixel strands. Same controller, different number of strands. Each controller will handle up to two. 1=50, 2=100. At least that was the way I read it.

I'm in that same anti L-E-D boat with Jeff... in fact, I'm the 1st mate. I hate em... but now with the pixels coming down the pike and the ability to "mix your own warm white", I think I'm in.

D.T.

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

As I remember, it was controllers with 50 pixels or 100 pixels. that would be with either one or two 50 pixel strands. Same controller, different number of strands. Each controller will handle up to two. 1=50, 2=100. At least that was the way I read it.

What Dan actually wrote:

The CCB comes in strings of 50 bulbs with 8" spacing. The CCB controller will accept 1 or 2 strings of CCB bulbs. The CCB will be sold in 50 and 100 bulb sets. The set includes the controller with internal power supply and one or two sets of bulbs.

Ball park prices... 100 bulb set will be about $199 (or about $99 per sting of 50)... 50 bulb set will be about $149..

Guest Don Gillespie

OK I might be out to lunch here exactly how many channels on an LOR controller will be required to work the CCB's lets just use a 50 count string for easy calculations that way I will understand this a little better.

Don Gillespie wrote:

OK I might be out to lunch here exactly how many channels on an LOR controller will be required to work the CCB's lets just use a 50 count string for easy calculations that way I will understand this a little better.

1 LOR Channel...but in your Sequence Editor you will see 150 Channels (3 per bulb)...or 300 channels for 100 Bulbs

I think I am correct in saying that...

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

1 LOR Channel...but in your sequence Editor you will see 150 Channels (3 per bulb)...or 300 channels for 100 Bulbs

so would you sequence like normal and when you want a color change just change this in the sequence editor from red to gree to blue?

jimswinder wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

1 LOR Channel...but in your Sequence Editor you will see 150 Channels (3 per bulb)...or 300 channels for 100 Bulbs

The regular LOR controllers have NOTHING to do with the CCBs. They come with their own controller, just like the CCRs do.

You can use the CCBs eithout even owning a regular 16 ch LOR controller.

Don Gillespie wrote:

so would you sequence like normal and when you want a color change just change this in the sequence editor from red to gree to blue?

As I understand it (have never done any RGB or CCR stuff), you change the INTENSITY of each bulb to create the different colors.

Check out the first post at the top of the forum:
Color Pixel Guide, Quickstart Guide & Latest Firmware

or go here:
http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/CosmicColorPixel_Man_Web.pdf

JBullard wrote:

The regular LOR controllers have NOTHING to do with the CCBs. They come with their own controller, just like the CCRs do.

But doesn't each CCB Controller need to be plugged into a LOR Channel?

Or how else would a sequence play?

Don Gillespie wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Don Gillespie wrote:

1 LOR Channel...but in your sequence Editor you will see 150 Channels (3 per bulb)...or 300 channels for 100 Bulbs

You can set up 50 RGB channels in the sequencer.

The sequencer will show 50 RGB channels. You can use the "color fade' tool to change the colors.

Or you can click on the far left of the RGB channel where the R, G, and B colors and it will expand to show the separate RGB channels.

jimswinder wrote:

JBullard wrote:

No. Just plug in your CAT5 data cable. Have NOTHING to do with regular 16 channel LOR controllers.

jimswinder wrote:

JBullard wrote:

No the CCB controller will plug in just like a regular controller. It will either use CAT5 cabling to get its command or get the commands from your homes power lines (if you buy another piece of equipment from what I understand)

Paul Roberson wrote:

No the CCB controller will plug in just like a regular controller. It will either use CAT5 cabling to get its command or get the commands from your homes power lines (if you buy another piece of equipment)

Ohhhhhhhh...

This changes everything!!!

Does the CAT5 cable need to go to a LOR controller?

Or just straight into the adapter from the PC?

jimswinder wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

No the CCB controller will plug in just like a regular controller. It will either use CAT5 cabling to get its command or get the commands from your homes power lines (if you buy another piece of equipment)

Ohhhhhhhh...

This changes everything!!!

Does the CAT5 cable need to go to a LOR controller?

Or just straight into the adapter from the PC?

I assume its like the CCR controller and will daisy chain to all the other LOR controllers. Or if you have it on its own network it could plug straight into the adapter(ie usb to 485) from the PC.

If you choose to go the PLC route there will be NO cat5 cable hooked the CCB controller. It will get all its commands from the power lines.

Jim, each CCB Controller will need to be connected to the LOR network. That could be done via the CAT5 communication line we all use now with no additional hardware (or allocated circuits from an existing LOR controller).

But the CCB controller can also receive its signal through the PLC system LOR is developing. In that case the CCB controller is already prepared to receive the signals through the power line, but you would need a device to take the signals from your wired LOR network (CAT5) and send it via the power line out to the CCB controller. That is when you would need to purchase at least one PLC Injector.

Now if you talk about how it appears in your sequences in the editor, then there will be additional programming channels there. I assume this will be similar to the CCR where you could choose to control each color of each pixel (for a total of 300 sequence channels). But you can also utilize RGB channels to combine the three colors into one channel.

Plus, you could probably choose to "combine" bulbs to make a larger pixel controlling multiple bulbs (like can be done with the CCR). But this would require configuring each CCB using the hardware utility. I configured my CCR to act like 10 pixels (channels) this year. You loose resolution but you gain a simpler sequencing interface and command traffic.

But wait there's more… You can probably access macro features on the CCB similar to the CCR. In that case you could probably access a library of really cool effects using just a few channel in you sequence editor.

Sorry guys but the CCB will NOT have a cat 5 cable going to it. Communication to the CCB is via PLC (power line comm). This is the new way that LOR has come out with dealing with communication to the controllers. From what I have been reading the Cat 5 will plug into a injector. The injector will plug into the wall outlet (not controlled). And an extension cord will then plug into the injector and the far end of the extension cord will have the CCB controller plugged into it. At the controller the signal will be extracted from the AC Power supplying the controller.

At this time I am confused as to how many controllers can be controlled off of one injector. For some reason I was thinking that I had heard something about 2 units. But please do not take that for gospel.

Max-Paul wrote:

Sorry guys but the CCB will NOT have a cat 5 cable going to it. Communication to the CCB is via PLC (power line comm).

What does the last sentence mean, then?

Dan wrote:
The CCB will use power line communication. That means that it will not need a data cable going to it but only a power cord plug and the data will go over the power line using regular extension cords. So for a mega tree you could run a single power cord and use in-line vampire plugs around the bottom of a tree and just plug the CCBs into it. Regular data cable control will also be included.