Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Prices for NEW Items

jimswinder

ItsMeBobO wrote:

I think rwertz is talking about cost savings using a controller with channels like the flood will have. Only 2 sets of 3 channels, Controlling all the bulbs at once. Each bulb would have the same color and intensity like the flood will. This would not be for chasing or multi color at the some time. I like the idea rwertz!

Seems like you would just buy three strings of regular LED's per bush then in RGB...there is your cost savings...

more channels...but...

how about a bulb that ONLY will do Red, Green, Blue and only one of those colors at any one time? Basically three LED's in one bulb that can be controlled...

Red on, Green Blue off, Blue on Red Green off or Green on, Red Blue off...

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• JBullard

• ace_master

• ItsMeBobO

I'd also like to do other colors. For example, at Halloween we wrap the bushes with orange and purple minis. You can't duplicate those colors with discrete bulbs. The different color sources need to be very close together (in the same bulb). It would be nice to be able to wrap the bushes with just one string of lights and cover both holiday color schemes.

As I said, it was a wish. It is a much bigger change in design than changing diffuser size or light spacing. In order for it to be done cheaply, the dimming circuitry would need to be removed from the bulb and be replaced with a single circuit in the controller. The power would need to be run to each bulb assembly using a separate wire for each color (but I did notice the existing design already uses a four conductor cord).

rwertz wrote:

I'd also like to do other colors. For example, at Halloween we wrap the bushes with orange and purple minis. You can't duplicate those colors with discrete bulbs. The different color sources need to be very close together (in the same bulb). It would be nice to be able to wrap the bushes with just one string of lights and cover both holiday color schemes.

As I said, it was a wish. It is a much bigger change in design than changing diffuser size or light spacing. In order for it to be done cheaply, the dimming circuitry would need to be removed from the bulb and be replaced with a single circuit in the controller. The power would need to be run to each bulb assembly using a separate wire for each color (but I did notice the existing design already uses a four conductor cord).
The technology is certainly there to create a true RGB String, it just depends if LOR chooses to pursue it (right now), or stick with individually controlled bulbs.

If they replaced each of their currently designed 'channeled bulbs' with a basic RGB LED cluster that doesn't have any circuitry involved aside from the + and - wires. Then they could bundle them with the same power supplies as the CCFlood as jimswinder suggested.

But with the amount of work that LOR has on their plate right now, I don't know what to expect for consumer requests.

Another question Dan. You mentioned that the bulbs will be moulded to look like a C9. Has any provision been made for how they can be mounted?

If there is some form of mounting clip for each bulb then that may minimise the problem some people have with the idea of 8" spacing, as they could space them anywhere up to 8" apart.

Just a note on the spacing. I was thrown at first by the mention of 8" but then thinking about it, it opens up some possibilities. one complaint i had about my RGB strings this year (very similar to those pictured above) was that the 4" spacing limited me when making shapes. I generally used either Coro sheets or PVC conduit and drilled 1/2" holes to push the bulbs through.

So in my applications, the slack between bulbs would have been helpful. As far as other applications I would think that having some slack would be ok, but some not. Using in a mega tree.. the larger spacing would be a down side. Outlining a roof or other things where you use clips, you just leave some slack between bulbs.

Hi Dan,

Any Videos using the CCB, like I said I am thinking of using them in three Mega trees, however the 8" spacing is a real down side. Not sure if strung out straight if they will look OK !!!

Thanks,

Denise

Guest Don Gillespie

Denise Brunner wrote:

Hi Dan,

Any Videos using the CCB, like I said I am thinking of using them in three Mega trees, however the 8" spacing is a real down side. Not sure if strung out straight if they will look OK !!!

Thanks,

Denise

A video would be great to look, at these decisions are getting tougher every day

LightORamaDan wrote:

Hello,

We do not have firm prices yet for the CCBs but we do have ball park retail prices. First a description of the CCB...

The CCB will use power line communication. That means that it will not need a data cable going to it but only a power cord plug and the data will go over the power line using regular extension cords. So for a mega tree you could run a single power cord and use in-line vampire plugs around the bottom of a tree and just plug the CCBs into it. Regular data cable control will also be included.

SNIP

Dan

"Power line communication"

Our house is full of INSTEON divices.

Have these been tested with home automation stuff like x10 or INSTEON?

Paul Roberson wrote:

"Power line communication"

Our house is full of INSTEON divices.

Have these been tested with home automation stuff like x10 or INSTEON?

They is no interaction with other Power Line devices such as X10 or INSTEON.

Dan

heystew wrote:

Just a note on the spacing. I was thrown at first by the mention of 8" but then thinking about it, it opens up some possibilities.

Too bad they could not just create a "Snap On Bulb", then we could determine our own spacing...sell the bulbs, controller and wire separately.

Some additional info:

The CCF flood heads have a 5 meter cable (about 16'.)

The CCBs have an internal swithcing power supply that works from 100 to 250 vac.

The CCFs must be ordered for 120 or 240 vac.

We are having mounting clips made for the CCB C9 moldings. They may not be ready when the C9s are initially available.

The PLC Injector that converts the RS485 data feed to PLC modulation isolates the AC power in both directions. House signals/noise are blocked as is the PLC modulation getting back into the house. I don't know what the Injector will cost, but I would guess around $30. It's likely that there will be a separate 240 vac version of this device.

We are working on a low current(

LightORamaJohn wrote:

The PLC Injector that converts the RS485 data feed to PLC modulation isolates the AC power in both directions. House signals/noise are blocked as is the PLC modulation getting back into the house.

Excuse my ignorance about injectors (and electronics in general), but will you only need one of these...or one for each string of lights?

Wow, all this exciting new stuff coming out. I'm not sure what to do now. Glad I didn't spend a lot of money at after Christmas sales this year, so I should have some money for the summer sale again!

jimswinder wrote:

LightORamaJohn wrote:
The PLC Injector that converts the RS485 data feed to PLC modulation isolates the AC power in both directions. House signals/noise are blocked as is the PLC modulation getting back into the house.

Excuse my ignorance about injectors (and electronics in general), but will you only need one of these...or one for each string of lights?

You will need the injector only if you use the Power Line Control option for the strings. You can wire them via CAT5 as well.

The injector will handle around 10 strings.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

You will need the injector only if you use the Power Line Control option for the strings. You can wire them via CAT5 as well.

Sorry...new questions keep popping into my brain...

Can you then use both modes (PLC and CAT5) at the same time?

I don't mean on the same string of lights, but within your display?

Or would it be best to use one or the other?

And if the injector can only handle 10 strings...where does it go?
Perhaps you have an example diagram online somewhere?

jimswinder wrote:

ItsMeBobO wrote:

I think rwertz is talking about cost savings using a controller with channels like the flood will have. Only 2 sets of 3 channels, Controlling all the bulbs at once. Each bulb would have the same color and intensity like the flood will. This would not be for chasing or multi color at the some time. I like the idea rwertz!

Seems like you would just buy three strings of regular LED's per bush then in RGB...there is your cost savings...

more channels...but...

how about a bulb that ONLY will do Red, Green, Blue and only one of those colors at any one time? Basically three LED's in one bulb that can be controlled...

Red on, Green Blue off, Blue on Red Green off or Green on, Red Blue off...

I like that idea!

Canadian Tire had these strings the would fade from white to red to green. I used these a year before I discovered LOR.

I outlined my house and windows with these and if they got tuirned on at the same time all the lights would change to the same colour at the same time....Being able to do this with LOR would be GREAT!

LightORamaJohn wrote:

We are working on a low current(<2 amps/chan), 4-channel, PLC/RS485 AC controller for the Showtime line. This may be what you are looking for to do multi-color bushes. It's too early to speculate the price.

Thanks John. We would still have to wrap the bushes with different sets of multiple strings (for each holiday). But that could be a consideration.

Any thoughts of doing some type of DC version of the 4 channel PLC? I think I heard someone mention a low voltage RGB string. There may be a practical way to meld the two together and achieve the desired effect / cost.

But I have to say, the low current 4 channel PLC certainly sounds interesting for a lot of uses :P

Jeff Millard wrote

If this is the case, then 4 sets of 100 would take up the total channels of four controllers.

and when you say "controllers" you do mean the CCB controller and not a LOR Controller, right?