Light-O-Rama Forums

Can DC board control RGB module?

Bowshock

Hey everyone!!

I want to add an RGB element in next years display and I was wondering if I can control one if these modules with a DC board (don't want to use DMX). My thought would be to create a string of these to control color. I don't need to control each module independently at this point.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/371376211-Waterproof-RGB-LED-LED-Module-3-pcs-5050-SMD-RGB-LED-wholesalers.html

Thanks!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bowshock

• Paul Roberson

• jimswinder

• edvas69

To work with the DC controllers, they will have to be common positive. It is not clear to me if those are common positive, or common negative. Usually the samples I have seen like that are pre assembled, with some fixed length between each module. I don't see any spec on how far apart the modules are either.

-klb- wrote:

To work with the DC controllers, they will have to be common positive.  It is not clear to me if those are common positive, or common negative.  Usually the samples I have seen  like that are pre assembled, with some fixed length between each module.  I don't see any spec on how far apart the modules are either.

I think the modules are independent. If not, I would cut them apart and splice in between.

The common positive is the same concern I had.....

In looking at the picture, it does appear these are common positive as the top connection is marked "DC12V". Suppose you could always order a few and try them out :D

-Gary-

I might have to do that. I don't have a DC controller so I thought if someone here had tried them out first I would know if the $20.00 shipping was worth it....:D

I'll watch this thread through the spring sale and see if anyone has tried these. If not, I'll order up some and report back here.

I might have to do that. I don't have a DC controller so I thought if someone here had tried them out first I would know if the $20.00 shipping was worth it....:D

I'll watch this thread through the spring sale and see if anyone has tried these. If not, I'll order up some and report back here.

A few guys have used these modules, I have also used similar to these. They work from any standard DC controller and come in strings of 20. You need 3 channels 1 for Red 1 for Green and 1 for Blue to run the string. You can also join these together to make longer strings but at some point you will need to add additional power along the string to compensate for voltage drop but this will only occur after 2 strings are joined together. These are common anode but just to make sure I always check with the seller that these are common anode.

Bowshock wrote:

Hey everyone!!

I want to add an RGB element in next years display and I was wondering if I can control one if these modules with a DC board (don't want to use DMX). My thought would be to create a string of these to control color. I don't need to control each module independently at this point.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/371376211-Waterproof-RGB-LED-LED-Module-3-pcs-5050-SMD-RGB-LED-wholesalers.html

Thanks!!

If your after these modules then your best bet is to get these from Ray as he has proven himself to a lot of the community as being a reliable dealer from China.

Rectangular modules

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-291745854/Waterproof-RGB-LED-LED-Module-3-pcs-5050-SMD-RGB-LED.html

Square modules

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-291746166/Waterproof-SMD-LED-Module-3pcs-5050-SMD-LED-RGB-color-.html

Thanks for the replies.

Now I think I know how I'm going to change up my display this year. I have a couple of RGB ideas, but I don't have the $$ or the sequencing abilities to use the 50 node strings. It's just too many channels. I'll be using these to change colors in some luminaries.

One other (probably stupid) question. Do I need to worry about heat sinks on the DC boards?

Bowshock wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

Now I think I know how I'm going to change up my display this year. I have a couple of RGB ideas, but I don't have the $$ or the sequencing abilities to use the 50 node strings. It's just too many channels. I'll be using these to change colors in some luminaries.

One other (probably stupid) question. Do I need to worry about heat sinks on the DC boards?

These LED modules only require 3 channels to run the whole string, these are not the digital type that can have each node individually controlled, Those are a more expensive and need a special controller to talk to them.

These dont draw a great deal so depending on how many you want to run in a string will determine if you need to go up in current draw for the DC controller.

If I'm not mistaken, the rectangular 5050 modules are the same ones that Holidaycoro.com recommends for use in the RGB version of its corostars product. The recommendation calls for three modules in each corostar, which are daisy-chained and controlled through iDMX and DMX modules.

I believe the modules are common anode (tho, I been wrong before), and could thus be easily controlled as independent units or clusters using the LOR DC controller.

Cray Augsburg wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the rectangular 5050 modules are the same ones that Holidaycoro.com recommends for use in the RGB version of its corostars product.

That's how I found them and got the idea.

Great responses on the board!!

Thanks all!!

I come up with $41 shipping + the cost for 101 leds for $119 total.. I dont know if China's got a sole-deal with DHL (kinda looks like they do) but $26.62 for 10 of them (shipped) would be my starting place to see if they're good for projects.. I wonder if there is a US supplier for these and other products he's got..

Ebay has 100's of vendors selling LED strip lights just like the ones listed.

Search "LED strip light"

Not sure if you will save any money, but the shipping time frame will be less.

I've been trying to figure out any way to tell for sure without getting some in hand. Sadly, 5050 just says 5mm square. And from all the different immages, these are 6 lead devices, so the SMD chip itself is not determining if they are common annode or cathode. It all comes down to how the PCB is laid out.

The good news is that it is nearly always easier to switch the return to ground than it is the supply lead, so common positive should be much more common. Of course, Ford learned that this is not always the safest way to go, with the brake sensor switches that were always hot, even with the vehicle turned off.

The vast majority of these are common anode, all the people I know that have ordered these have got common anode. You can order them with common cathode but then thats not the normal configuration.

The Aliexpress shops have a chat and email where you can ask and confirm your quieries. But as ive said these have all been common anode so these will work with an LOR DC or any other DC controller.

I will be the first to admit I know NOTHING about any RGB products or even how to make/use them...

but wouldn't you want something more like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/314086573-3-chip-RGB-full-color-through-hole-led-channel-letter-6803IC-pixed-controlled-DC5V-input-waterproof-wholesalers.html

Especially if it was 12 volt vs 5 volt?

Or is it becasue it is full color and not three separate LED's?