Light-O-Rama Forums

Working with Audacity

Guest Don Gillespie

Guest Don Gillespie

Ok the village idiot is back and I am trying to figure out Audacity I have no clue how to develop a montage of music, I have the music but I have no clue how to use Audacity any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Open Audacity, and click Project|Import Audio (Ctrl+I) to get each mp3 loaded into separate tracks. Then use the time shift tool ( <--> ) to drag each track to the right place. more to come...

The six little buttons to the left of the tool bar are tools: Selection, Envelope, Draw, Zoom, Time shift, and Multi-tool.

After importing your tracks, use the envelope tool to adjust the volume levels of each track so that only the parts that you want to hear are audible. Everywhere you click on a track using the envelope tool, it will create a volume marker which you can position to indicate the volume level.

You can click the play button to preview your project. Afterwards, select File|Export as mp3 to save the montage. Hope this helps.

Guest Don Gillespie

roknjohn wrote:

You can click the play button to preview your project. Afterwards, select File|Export as mp3 to save the montage. Hope this helps.

This is great I am getting the idea when I import the songs I want I try to play them but it is playing so fast it just zips by at a thousand miles an hour did i hit a wrong button?

You might have zoomed in a bit too far. The one criticism I have regarding Audacity is the lack of multiple speeds.

PS - Welcome back.

Audacity takes a little time to figure out but it's much easier than Adobe products. The speed of the playback may be due to your file type. When I've used Audacity I could never get it to properly work with mp4 files. You may have to burn them to a cd and rerip them into your computer as mp3.

Guest Don Gillespie

George Simmons wrote:

You might have zoomed in a bit too far. The one criticism I have regarding Audacity is the lack of multiple speeds.

PS - Welcome back.

thanks its good to be back

Guest Don Gillespie

BrianC wrote:

Audacity takes a little time to figure out but it's much easier than Adobe products. The speed of the playback may be due to your file type. When I've used Audacity I could never get it to properly work with mp4 files. You may have to burn them to a cd and rerip them into your computer as mp3.

Never thought of that thanks I will try this

Correction:

The Audacity 1.3.12 beta DOES include variable speed playback! Looks like a great product has gotten even better!

Guest Don Gillespie

Ok I have figured out how to edit the song and make it 15 or 30 seconds long so I tried to create 3 songs 15 sec each the first song starting a 0 and ending at the 15 second mark then i did the second song at the 15 second mark to the 30 second mark and the third song from 30 to 45 seconds when i hit the play button to hear the medley it stops playing after the first song only 15 seconds what do i need to do to create a full medeley so that the whole thing will play

I hope this make sense

And when that is done how do you save the project

Don Gillespie wrote:

Ok I have figured out how to edit the song and make it 15 or 30 seconds long so I tried to create 3 songs 15 sec each the first song starting a 0 and ending at the 15 second mark then i did the second song at the 15 second mark to the 30 second mark and the third song from 30 to 45 seconds when i hit the play button to hear the medley it stops playing after the first song only 15 seconds what do i need to do to create a full medeley so that the whole thing will play

I hope this make sense

do you only have the first 15 seconds "highlighted"? If so, it will only play what you have highlighted.

To save go to File>Export...

You may have to change your preferences first to save it how you want to save it...IE an MP3

EDIT:

do you have all 3 "songs" in the same window? or separate windows?

If separate, you need to save each individual song you created, then import all three into the same "window" (for lack of a better word that I can't think of right now...)

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

Don Gillespie wrote:

I hope this make sense

do you only have the first 15 seconds "highlighted"? If so, it will only play what you have highlighted.

To save go to File>Export...

You may have to change your preferences first to save it how you want to save it...IE an MP3

do you have all 3 "songs" in the same window? or separate windows?

If separate, you need to save each individual song you created, then import all three into the same "window" (for lack of a better word that I can't think of right now...)

You nailed it I have 3 seperate windows so I need to save each one individually and then recreate them in one window is this correct

you nailed it I have 3 seperate windows so I need to save each one individually and then recreate them in one window is this correct

yep...

you could have imported all three songs into one window (3 tracks) at the beginning, edited the three tracks and then you could have just saved it as one song instead of three songs...like roknjohn first suggested... :D

you can have an endless amount of tracks (songs) in each window.

It's great for doing voiceovers and a song...

import the song and then start recording your voice and it automatically adds another track below the song...when you export it, it merges the two tracks together to make one track(if you export it as an audio file)..or if you export it as a Audacity Project..the tracks stay separate.

EDIT:

I think you could probably copy and paste each song (track) into one "window" also...

Copy Track (window) 2 and 3 and paste them both into Track (window) 1...

garyfunk wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
garyfunk wrote:
Testing an obversation.

please share the results of the test!!! :D

It turned pink.

lol...congratulations?????

garyfunk wrote:

It turned pink.

Is that the modern-day equivalent of "the rabbit died"?

Must have been a successful New Year's celebration!

garyfunk wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
garyfunk wrote:
Testing an obversation.

please share the results of the test!!! :D

It turned pink.

So it turns pink when it goes to a second page?

MikeH

(Anyone else know what we're talking about?)