Light-O-Rama Forums

PVC to hang lights on two story home?

shempster

I'm thinking about attaching lights to PVC and then attaching PVC to hooks under the eaves of my home. I want to be able to get the lights up and down as quick and safe as possible. Any ideas?

I was thinking the same thing anxious to see the feedback. Im also going to do PVC window frames. I saw a link somewhere that had the PVC roof lines as well with 3 way conectors with legs to straddle peak.

1/2 PVC with lights attached and use an extension pole to place them on hooks. Each year I have been working on modularizing all of the display elements that can be broken down for storage to try and reduce the amount of time putting things out and simplify storing them again until next year. The only problem I have with using pvc on my roof line is I have so many different lengths and turns it does not really pay to put them on PVC. I may do it though on the back of my house. I have quit putting lights up there because there is so much snow and ice when it is time to take them down. I will have to think about that again.

I have had my icicle lights on pvc pipe for about 4 years now. The ones on the gutters simply lift off and the ones on my peak I have to roll them off of the hooks. I am going to try and attach a picture.

Wayne

Attached files 232915=12745-IMG_0095-1.jpg

Wayne K wrote:

I can't get a second picture to go above, so here is a second picture.

Wayne

Wayne

Is there a chance you can get a close up of how the hooks are attached to your house and how the PVC sits on them . Like your setup!!

Denis

I actualy have everything down now. I took these pictures a year or 2 ago. I will look thru my picture file and see if I have anything closer

Wayne

The split PVC is a great idea, very clean look! I went with rigid metal conduit for my house, primarily because I have a VERY tall gable that I have to reach from well below the peak, so I needed the extra rigidity to extend the lights that far. I had a roofer come out with a 40' ladder to place the hook for me. Also, with the rigid I only need two hooks for each section (some up to 16'), so that means fewer ladder moves to hang them. Also, I'm planning on white, blue and multi icicles and red, green, blue and white strands so that's a lot of weight for PVC. But I sure like the neatness!

ShantaClausSm.png

Shanta wrote:

...I went with rigid metal conduit for my house, primarily because I have a VERY tall gable that I have to reach from well below the peak, so I needed the extra rigidity to extend the lights that far. I had a roofer come out with a 40' ladder to place the hook for me. ...

I've got a similar peak, how do you get the lights up? I was thinking of installing pulleys and running aircraft cable, then hooking it to bring it down to non-ladder level hooking on the light (metal conduit sounds grand) and then hoisting it up. I'll have to fine a place to coil the excess cable though.

Anyone have a no-climbing solution for a 2 story house?

I use a ladder to get up about 18' and then extend the conduit up the rest of the way and hook it with a good sized loop on the end. I had thought about running a cable from the peak down to the eaves so that I could use a hook on the end of the conduit to grab the cable down low and slide it up to the peak, but I was concerned about how it would look in the daylight the rest of the year. That would just require a 6' stepladder, though.

ShantaClausSm.png

Denis

Here is one picture of the way I hang them on the gutters that is a little closer. The ones on the peaks I use screw in eye bolts and on the house I used a half an eye bolt or more of a hook. The hardest thing is getting all the hooks lined up when putting them in the first time. From there I just turn my pvc about 90 degrees and drop them over the hooks and let them rotate straight down.

Attached files 233658=12772-Roof 1.jpg

I am in the process of using 1/2" pvc and a bunch of gutter clips for my window frames on the pvc for LED C6 bulbs and just ordered some of the toolclips. I think it will work fine the pvc is flexing a little do to the amount of lights but dont see a problem once they are snapped in.

• 3 weeks later...

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I actually went with Steve Synek's method shown here:
http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum79/22111-2.html

Pain to stuff, but will be great for future years.
Here are mine:
5230168349_fc53122e76.jpg

I did this for my window frames using M5s. Glued the 90s on the corners, they just hang on two nails on top of the window frames. Install and take down is a breeze.
I plan to do this for the roof line too, but have been comtemplating wrapping the runs like arches, then lights can chase across the roof. But that would mean a lot more channels. :D