Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT1 or SPT2?

gmacw

garyfunk wrote:

gmacw wrote:
What's the difference between SPT1 & SPT2 wire?

SPT-2 has more insulation which allows it to be rated at 10 amps as opposed to 7 amp SPT-1.

Thanks.

Is the wire gauge the same for both? If so, What thickness 18GA? 16GA?

I always use 18 AWG SPT 1 .

The -# only refers to the insulation thickness. Both are available in a wide range of wire gauges . I've seen both SPT # for sale from 24 to 14 guage.

So be sure to buy the vampire plugs that are appropriate for the wire guage and insulation thickness for the wire you end up with.

Like it was said the SPT2 has thicker insulation, something you might want to consider if you're using it in the cold weather. Some thin insulation lamp cords will have a tendency to crack in the sun and cold weather.

BrianC wrote:

Like it was said the SPT2 has thicker insulation, something you might want to consider if you're using it in the cold weather. Some thin insulation lamp cords will have a tendency to crack in the sun and cold weather.

I had to laugh when I read that. I've got over a mile and a half of SPT1 size cords in the yard and just yesterday I cracked my first extension cord in years. It was an SPT2 cord.

BrianC wrote:

Even though you used the word "some", your statement is also true for SPT2 wire.

All wire insulation is not created the same way.

It depends on how and what compounds are used in the insulation.

I don't have bitter cold temps where I live, so I buy SPT1 wire with an additional UV inhibitor in the insulation to protect from cracking due to sun damage.

Other types of SPT [1 or 2] insulation is designed to not crack at extreme low temperatures.

The thickness of the insulation has nothing to do with it.

Use the wrong type in either environment and you will have problems. In my opinion just a little knowledge can result in a safety hazard. It is important that when using any product that you do the proper research to make sure the product is suitable for your application, and that you select accordingly.

BrianC wrote:

Should also mention this stuff is not intended for outdoor use.

Nether is the vampire plugs, ether! Thats another thing to keep in mind too.

garyfunk wrote:

gmacw wrote:

SPT-2 has more insulation which allows it to be rated at 10 amps as opposed to 7 amp SPT-1.

Assuming the wire gauge is the same - this would be a n incorrect statement. The wire gauge determines the capacity of the wire. people assume spt1 is 18ga and spt2 is 16ga, it is not always the case. The Spt designation only refers to the type and the thickness of the insulation.

SPT wire specs

SPT1 .030 overall thickness

20awg=2 amp

18awg=10 amp

SPT2 .045 overall

18awg=10amps

16awg=13amp

SPT3 .060 overall

18awg=10amp

16awg=13amp

Hope this helps

So to summarize the gauge of the wire will determine the current capacity of the wire. Each wire gauge comes in -1,-2 or -3 thicknesses which relates to the voltage rating and also durability (if you assume the insulation material is appropriate for the environment).

I'm not an expert, I'm really just asking the question to validate I've interpreted this thread properly. Getting ready to buy some spools of SPT wire. Plan on getting 18 SPT-1 since my location isn't too cold (20 degF lowest typical) and I mostly run LED. While I typically overkill the wire gauge, I don't want to wind up with a huge bundle if I don't need it.

I went to ACE Hardware and they offered me a 250' spool of 16SPT-2 for 50 bucks. I see deals mentioned on here for about $90 for a 1000' spool so I'll keep looking for a clearance sale!

Dr. Jones wrote:

garyfunk wrote:
gmacw wrote:

Assuming the wire gauge is the same - this would be a n incorrect statement. The wire gauge determines the capacity of the wire. people assume spt1 is 18ga and spt2 is 16ga, it is not always the case. The Spt designation only refers to the type and the thickness of the insulation.
The thinner the insulation, the less current the wire is rated to handle.

I live in CT and it gets to the 5*F and I have 1000ft of spt2 wire out there(snow on top of it and the plugs on the ground) should I be concerned? Also, I am going to make new Leaping light arches next year with 1-3 string per channel(LED) can I use spt1 wire?(price is lower:D)

John2571 wrote:

I live in CT and it gets to the 5*F and I have 1000ft of spt2 wire out there(snow on top of it and the plugs on the ground) should I be concerned? Also, I am going to make new Leaping light arches next year with 1-3 string per channel(LED) can I use spt1 wire?(price is lower:D)

Yes, I'm in albany, ny, and I have pretty much the same weather! And all mine are spt1 wire. So Spt2 is better and fine.

The main thing that determines current capacity is the wire gauge(awg). Look at the specs I listed for all 3 SPT wires, 16 awg is still 16 awg regardless of insulation thickness. The current handling capabilities is still the same.

I use SPT2-16awg for the ampacity and the thicker insulation for protection against the elements.