Light-O-Rama Forums

Best uses for 1 CCR

Stuart

I have one CCR Ribbon that I want to add to our display next year and I wondered when you only have one CCR what suggestions people might be doing with it!

I have 4 CCR's and made circles with them.

They are a show stopper and have had many many comments about them.

The kids love them in circles.

I have 2 CCR's and used 1 over my entry way which has a very large arch and used the second across two 8' PVC arches and basically created two arches out of the single ribbon..effectively giving me 3 total arches (one 16' and 2 8')...

If you need sequences, let me know. I have the CCR's separated into their own tracks, so pretty easy to grab them and incorporate cool effects (both macro and programmed)

I have 1 CCR and I have it basically as 2 rays (upside down "V") with a led snowflake at the peak. The bottoms of each end on the top of and arch.

I have 2 CCR's, but you could do either one separately. One's a circle and one's a spiral. Here's a link to see them in action together:

http://www.vimeo.com/17484818

If you want to see each item separately, you have to scroll back a little on my posted videos at Vimeo and you'll see both the spiral and the circle from last summer. My circle is 3/4" gray electrical pvc.

George Simmons wrote:

I have 2 CCR's, but you could do either one separately. One's a circle and one's a spiral. Here's a link to see them in action together:

http://www.vimeo.com/17484818

If you want to see each item separately, you have to scroll back a little on my posted videos at Vimeo and you'll see both the spiral and the circle from last summer. My circle is 3/4" gray electrical pvc.

Very creative with your display. Like alot of your elements.

Nice job with the circle.

Very creative I like the sprial but you have so much great stuff going on i mised it at first. Did you you use the the flip to record that? I dont know any eleven year olds any more, bit I liked it.

• 2 weeks later...

Used only one CCR, put it in the Mega Tree star as a filler, worked great. The whole tree turns red or green so does the star. The strobes fire so does the star.

I was thinking of a big circle with a video screen in the middle. That way you can run the video in the middle with the CCR as a wreath around it.

Stuart wrote:

That is pretty cool! How did you get them into such a perfect circle?

I agree, those circles are very accurate and pleasing to the eye.

I'm not sure you got an answer to how to make perfect circles, and since this wasn't my work, I can only make up an answer! (But I did build the dome to an observatory once ...)

You can see extremely small deviations from round. You are never going to get a regular curve (look at any and all leaping arches), much less a truly round circle using PVC for a frame.

I would recommend making a truly round circle / wheel with 4' x 8' plywood. No, don't bend it. Cut out a circle. You may have to use multiple arch segments depending on the diameter of circle you want. You can make any size circle you like.

You really don't want a circle, but a wheel shape. An inch or two wide should be fine.

To draw the circle all you need is a large compass. It's easy to make one out of L channel metal. No, you can't use string. It will stretch and you will get terrible results. Just drill 3 holes in the L channel. One hole is the center of the circle, one is the outside diameter, the 3rd is the inside diameter. You only need a ring or wheel shape. An entire circle would weigh a lot.

In the center hole, drive a point into your garage floor. (Drill a hole in the garage floor, don't ask for permission.) The other hole will hold your scribe / pencil. Now swing your arc on your plywood.

Stuart wrote:

That is pretty cool! How did you get them into such a perfect circle?

I made my circle from 2 pieces of 3/4" grey electrical PVC. I measured the exact length of the CCR ribbon (which gave me the circumference of the circle) and cut my PVC accordingly. (I didn't glue the PVC together since the tension keeps it snug.) My circle is mounted on a 12' 4x4 post sunk 2' into the ground. Knowing the circumference, a little basic geometry gave me the diameter and I mounted brackets to hold the PVC at that distance.

• The topic was locked