Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Parts For Sale

jimswinder

I know we can get them for free by just asking...

but to cut down the shipping time (especially if a part goes bad on a Friday night), is there anyway LOR might start selling them (triacs, etc) on-line so we can have some spares on hand for a quick fix?

Maybe do it as a "spares" pack, or "service" pack that would be the most likely ratio of parts that proactively minded user might want to have on hand.

Just thinking out loud here:

1 RJ-45 jack
2 RS-485 chips
5 triacs
2 opto isolator

Maybe see if there is some way to make the store use real (or closer to real) shipping numbers, or note in the description a better ballpark number for what shipping should cost, instead of the typical store estimates..

You can look up the part numbers in the kit assembly manuals, and order the parts from Mouser, but the triacs won't come with the nicely preformed leads like they do from LOR.

-klb- wrote:

You can look up the part numbers in the kit assembly manuals, and order the parts from Mouser, but the triacs won't come with the nicely preformed leads like they do from LOR.

Hadn't thought of that...

thought maybe the parts were proprietary to LOR...

jimswinder wrote:

-klb- wrote:

Hadn't thought of that...

thought maybe the parts were proprietary to LOR...

To the best of my knowledge, only the microcontroller chip is proprietary to LOR, and only because they preprogram it. You can buy the same microcontroller part number, but it won't do any good, as there will be no way to download the firmware.

But every other component on the board can be sourced anywhere based on part number or specifications..

-klb- wrote:

but the triacs won't come with the nicely preformed leads like they do from LOR.

That's what needle nose pliers are for.:D But seriously, I'm with you guys I think LOR should sell spare parts packs to ensure we are getting the exact components. Sure Mouser sells the parts but its pretty easy to misread a part number or the person at the other end to send you the wrong part. With LOR we would be guaranteed the right parts.

Also with the Micro controller, I've not heard anyone complain about one of those going bad yet.

I agree very much. I have often thought about keeping spare parts. I think it would be great for LOR and us, if LOR sold a spare parts kits.

Dan knows which parts he send out. Put those parts in a bag and offer it at a price that is cheap enough for us, YET lets Dan make a good profit. That way we all win.

I like this idea too. A complete set of spare components. I can solder a spare part on a board alot faster than a replacement could be mailed out to me. This year I just bought an assembled spare board for a spare. It put me over my budget, but it was worth the peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with this idea as well. In fact I just came to the forums to ask the question on where I could get some spare RJ-45 jacks for my LOR kits as the high winds blew over my mega tree and ripped out one of the jacks and I need to replace it. Having other spare parts on hand would be handy indeed.

Jeff Millard wrote:

It never took more than a couple days, but I only live 8 hours from the company.

but that's just the point...if we could have spare parts on hand for less than $10 - $20...why not have our display up and running at full strength for those two or three extra days...

TJ Hvasta wrote:

You wouldn't have any trouble reading part numbers off the assembly guide... no squinting required..

some of those numbers, at least when I assembled my boards, were incorrect...

TJ Hvasta wrote:

But did they match the parts revision page?

I don't remember a revision page...that was sooooo long ago!! lol

Jeff Millard wrote:

In each and every case, where I needed a part for a controller... An email was sent, and Dan had the part shipped out. It never took more than a couple days, but I only live 8 hours from the company.

Jeff

Gary, any parts you need, just email me...

Thanks Jeff,

Will you email me the parts so I have them when I need them?

Parts Substitution List
===========================
R15 - 470 Resistor network, 8pin SIP Isolated - 8B471G
Q16 - 5v 1.5A Voltage Regulator - LM7805C
Q17 - 10v, 1.5A Voltage Regulator - L78S10CV
U1 - 485 skew limited driver, 8pin - 65HVD3082EP
U4, U5 - 8bit flip-flop 20pin DIP - M74HCT273B1