Light-O-Rama Forums

Lor and Xp

Guest guest

I am having a major problem with my show. It will play one or two songs and them stop. The musical sequences work with no problems the sequence editor. I've even checked to make sure my MP3's are not variable bit rate, but still no go. I used a different system (win98se) for my lor shows last year with no problems, but I'm using a new computer for this year (XP). I'm using LOR 1.3 and am running 6 ctbo8 boards and 12 D-light boards. I'm hoping all I need is an upgrade for my software. Any help will be appreciated.

Annalisa

Analisa, Did you ever figure it out. I have a similar issue. Started programming with and old 233 mhz running windows 98 and then went out and splurged on a new machine running xp. i added a serial card . I'm running version 1.4. Tim Fischer @plymouthlights said he uses a notebook running xp for some programming with no problems. I'm still working on it

Greg

Woodburyman wrote:

Analisa, Did you ever figure it out. I have a similar issue. Started programming with and old 233 mhz running windows 98 and then went out and splurged on a new machine running xp. i added a serial card . I'm running version 1.4. Tim Fischer @plymouthlights said he uses a notebook running xp for some programming with no problems. I'm still working on it

Greg

I also made the switch to XP Media Center Edition, but use a USB to serial port converter (comm 4 I think), and have had absolutely no problems with the show.

I have a win98 SE notebook as a backup which can run the show as well.

Does your serial port add on card have any communication issues with other serial port devices you are using?

XP can grab a serial port away from LOR. I found if I don't have the LOR control panel running at start-up when I go to use LOR it says the serial port is in use, so I simply unplug the USB cable, start LOR control panel (in the system tray), and then all is fine.

Now I just leave the LOR control panel in the system tray at start-up all the time, and there are no issues. You may be running into something similar with your serial port card ports. XP can at times be rather controlling!:P

Greg

Greg,

Thanks I'll give it a try. I added the serial ports because I was having problems with the USB adapter not seeing the controller. I do get that error message. When you start in the hardware setting and hit autoconfigure does the computer locate the correct comm port? Mine does not and I have to manually set it. Then the led on the controller goes red. Even after this if I try to auto initalize it does not find the controllers. If I manually set it I can test.

Greg

Annalisa,

I had a similar problem, running off a new computer with xp. My problem was that the hard drive was going into hibernation mode after a few minutes. I went into power settings and turned all that stuff off. Another problem that could cause this is when you changed the sequences over, making sure you re-find the audio file on that particular unit. Hope some of this helps.

Bill

Another possibility... is that there are one or more sequences that hang on the end. This is an annoying bug that we will fix in the next release.

You can tell if this is the problem in the Sequence Editor. When you play the sequence in the sequence editor, it should stop automaticaly at the end of the file. Sometimes it does not stop and you have to click the red stop button to get control back.

If that is the case then you can fix it by adjusting the total time of the sequence. Reduce the total time by 1/10 second and it should clear things up. Change total time is under the Edit Button.

Dan,

Thanks for the response. I already found the problem with the musical file that was not ending correctly. I finally have my show up and running.

Is there a difference between LOR 1.3 and 1.4? I have the show running on my old win98se LOR pc with 1.4, but would rather run it on the pc I just built for LOR using xp but only have 1.3 on it. Link to an upgrade?

Annalisa