• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• dmoore

• toddmoon

• -klb-

garyfunk wrote:

I pretty much agree with your conclusions. I am look at LightShow Pro just to see what it can do.

One question, by OOS do you mean OOP?

Nope, I mean OOS as in Object Oriented Sequencing:

http://www.planetchristmas.com/magazine/Spring2010/index.htm#/18/

LSP has made some major strides in reaching most aspects of OOS and is avaiaible today. The closest example of "Death of the Grid" is what is covered by Cas over here: http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=3305.0

garyfunk wrote:

Ah geez, which standards committee came up with OSS means that?

Looks like the author was directing you to his own article.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

garyfunk wrote:
Ah geez, which standards committee came up with OSS means that?

Looks like the author was directing you to his own article.

Yep, directing him to an explanation. No standards, just a description based on related technology.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Dan,

The kid that was selling arch controllers on eBay that we told you abt brings up an idea that may, or may not work well..

I dont know if there'd be any difference between a -16PC kit(or such) and an arch controller like the ones that kid was selling.. Or even something like an Arch Kit.. would be four 14-16ch controllers on one board (or daughterboard) designed specifically to run 7-9 segment (channel) arches.. Thinking it out, it would be just like two to four 16PC controllers in one enclosure t be used on arches, or mega/mini trees, or light (belagio) poles.. just compacted... anyway, might just be an idea for new project/item..

I strongly agree with the suggestion of having multiple controllers in one box. Please keep us updated on the possibility that we'll see this soon.

First off... there are several things that sound very exciting in the announcement Dan made... not only do I appreciate him sharing it, but it is going to be great to be able to stay with one vendor who has a proven track record with "stuff that works". :)

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but some of the comments made following the announcement I personally do not agree with either in part or in whole.
But that is OK, i am entitled to my own opinion right? :)

terrypowerz wrote:

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but some of the comments made following the announcement I personally do not agree with either in part or in whole.
But that is OK, i am entitled to my own opinion right? :)

Is this some poor me Planet Christmas stuff?

If you personally don't agree - then lay it out, say why you don't agree and let others benefit from the knowledge you may have. If they have issue or disagreement they can say so. There just isn't much value in a statement of "I personally do not agree with either in part or in whole." What whole? What part?

Of course that is just my opinion.

dmoore wrote:

Is this some poor me Planet Christmas stuff?
Not sure I get the reference you are trying to make on the above?

If you personally don't agree - then lay it out, say why you don't agree and let others benefit from the knowledge you may have. If they have issue or disagreement they can say so. There just isn't much value in a statement of "I personally do not agree with either in part or in whole." What whole? What part?

Of course that is just my opinion.

I actually had penned a rather lengthy post regarding what I didn't agree with, but to be honest it ended up sounding like I was bashing other products so before I hit post I highlighted and deleted 7/8ths of my post. I thought it better to just keep it short and let others do their own research if they were interested at all on a possible counterpoint.

I will simply say that I know far more people coming back to LOR then I know that are moving away from it (software).

As far as the cutting edge technology and LOR making changes to embrace that, it is terrific in that the segment of the users that pursue that will most likely have a choice soon that will allow them to have a stable platform and more seamless integration with the legacy hardware and methodology.

As you pointed out, by and large there will still be the majority of users that will not make the step into pixel based lighting. First it is a major investment no matter how you do it (even based on the "normal" budgets in this hobby). Second is the fact that there will be those that will feel that pixel based, RGB lighting is just flat out not very "Christmassy" in the traditional sense.

When you look at creating the most bleeding edge effects and technology with no regard to the more modest needs and wants of a large majority it is a much more simple (and faster) matter to code and design software and hardware without restraint. Unfortunately you then restrict your audience to a very small population.

Now IF you take into account the needs and wants of an already huge base of users that are using spare modest computers and have an investment in existing hardware, and look at integrating the latest technology in such a way that these earlier adopters are still not only served but the experience is actually enhanced for them, yet there is room to scale up as needs, wants, and budgets allow, while still maintaining a level of stability and usability that you have become known for... it becomes a much more involved task that requires thought and creativity to execute successfully. It is that level of commitment that keeps me here.

I seem to sense a lot of doubt and disparaging comments in regards to the vendor that this forum is based on, which makes me wonder why some hang around here if they are not using the products and there are others that are so damn good?
I am not getting the value in that... :?

People are coming and going from this and that but what is clear is that there is room for everyone - the DIY people, LOR, d-light, AL, etc. This market still has every appearance as a growth market.

I also agree that LOR offering a variety of supported, warrantied and integrated RGB Pixel solution is excellent - for LOR and the community. It just shows why LOR continues to be the absolute leader in the residential holiday lighting community.

You are absolutely correct that some people don't feel that purple, pink, yellow and other colors are not "christmassy". It maybe a stretch for some people - in much the same way that people often felt LED lights were "fake" or "cartoonish" when they were first introduced - there is always going to be resistance to any new technology. So, it's understandable that audiences will want to see a mix of legacy lighting along with super-fancy RGB Pixels - but they'll adapt and I suspect, come to like it just like most have with LEDs.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will not be wholesale adoption of RGB pixels - again, no different than LEDs over incans. Cost will be a major driver but on the flip side people will come to see the advantages, again, just as they have with LEDs over incans. Many people will work them into their displays just like they have with RGB floods, LEDs and other new technologies - as pricing and budgets allow, it sure appears there are a whole lot more people with yearly budgets in the hundreds than those with budgets in the thousands.

Those that wish to continue using modest PC's and existing investments, there will still be a place for those displays - just like people didn't give up static lights when animated lights came out. There is also room for the people that want to invest in the move to Christmas Lights 3.0.

dmoore wrote:

You are absolutely correct that some people don't feel that purple, pink, yellow and other colors are not "christmassy". It maybe a stretch for some people - in much the same way that people often felt LED lights were "fake" or "cartoonish" when they were first introduced - there is always going to be resistance to any new technology. So, it's understandable that audiences will want to see a mix of legacy lighting along with super-fancy RGB Pixels - but they'll adapt and I suspect, come to like it just like most have with LEDs.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will not be wholesale adoption of RGB pixels - again, no different than LEDs over incans. Cost will be a major driver but on the flip side people will come to see the advantages, again, just as they have with LEDs over incans. Many people will work them into their displays just like they have with RGB floods, LEDs and other new technologies - as pricing and budgets allow, it sure appears there are a whole lot more people with yearly budgets in the hundreds than those with budgets in the thousands.

LEDs have come a long way in the past three years, in brightness and in color. Maybe pink, purple, yellow and all the other non BGRW colors may not be welcome at Christmas, but many of us like to light up the night all year round. I am sure that incandescent lights will be around for many more year, and I will continue to use them as long as I can.

While cost is a big issue, I want a lights where I can control each unit with brightness and color. If I have to do it one unit at a time, I will.

I've spent the past few days reading your posts, looking at your videos and trying to get as much knowlegde as you have. You have some great ideas and your display is elements are unique. I love what you have done and look forward to your new ideas.

I can't wait to go RGB in 10,000 channels. Thanks for leading the charge.

Some cool stuff. I'm definitely interested in RGB floods if I don't do the rainbow floods. But now I'll feel like I need to replace all my controllers with the new ones. It sounds like the new controllers will have features that the current hardware will not have. Is that correct?

garyfunk wrote:

Trust me - right now, you can. 4400 channels was pretty painful this year. I've had to overcome several serious technical software and hardward limitations. I got it done, but it was less than fun.

Fabian

Fabian wrote:

garyfunk wrote:

Trust me - right now, you can. 4400 channels was pretty painful this year. I've had to overcome several serious technical software and hardward limitations. I got it done, but it was less than fun.

Fabian

I know it's been done. I've been watching. But this year, I am going to do it.

Fabian wrote:

garyfunk wrote:

Fabian

I think Fabian hit my personal sentiment right on the nail head!

This isn't a money making situation or technical quest for me... when it stops being fun... I will stop doing it. ;)

For heavens sake... it is just Christmas lights! ;)

garyfunk wrote:

LEDs have come a long way in the past three years, in brightness and in color. Maybe pink, purple, yellow and all the other non BGRW colors may not be welcome at Christmas, but many of us like to light up the night all year round. I am sure that incandescent lights will be around for many more year, and I will continue to use them as long as I can.

While cost is a big issue, I want a lights where I can control each unit with brightness and color. If I have to do it one unit at a time, I will.

I've spent the past few days reading your posts, looking at your videos and trying to get as much knowledge as you have. You have some great ideas and your display is elements are unique. I love what you have done and look forward to your new ideas.

These "non-standard" colors can be a real plus if you are a Halloween person and you implement them in such a way that they are not specific to Christmas.

Thanks for the feedback!

david

Fabian wrote:

garyfunk wrote:

Fabian

Having seen your amazing videos (http://www.vimeo.com/channels/gordonlights) before and having worked with you on your 120 channel mini-trees - you are clearly someone that is really always pushing the edge in design and technical function and I suspect you wouldn't have it any other way. Is it going to be easier and more reliable in 2011 to put on a 2,3,4,5 thousand channel display? Sure it will be. The software will be much better and the hardware/power issues will be worked out. And you'll be on the edge of the next wave - pushing the bounds again.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your 2010 display videos.

One that can be controlled by your iPhone, iPod, or iPad!

You know using your own device is cool. Being able to let viewers select sequences would be cool too.

However with that being said I still have a hard time getting people to even tune their radio to my station to listen to the music. Trying to get people to realize that they could select their own favorite music would go way over must peoples heads.