Light-O-Rama Forums

Any rumors for LOR 2011?

scubado

I'm wondering if there is any news or rumors as to what's coming out in 2011 as far as software and hardware. I'm already starting to lay out my channels and plans for next year while it's still fresh in my mind to see how many channels, lights and extension cords I'm going to need for next year that I can realistically handle. My first project when the ground thaws is to remove my large corner bush and put in a two tier flowerbed and match the lighting with the other flowerbeds. It will have a built in concealed DC controller (the only one that will be outdoors) with room for a second, just in case.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• dmoore

• toddmoon

• -klb-

scubado wrote:

HowardShank wrote:
There's the CB50D

What is it? My guess is a 50 channel DC controller??

I think you will find it to be the model number of the Cosmic Color Bulbs that are referenced in the thread linked above.

Guest wbottomley

I was told from a unnamed source that they are skipping version 3 and going to version 4 software. This fine piece of software will do all of the sequencing for you. In other words, less work sequencing and more fun setting up and designing the display.

Also, I heard that LOR was purchasing another company and the combined two will have 2/3rd's ownership in the lighting industry.

Mountainwxman wrote:

I was told from a unnamed source that they are skipping version 3 and going to version 4 software. This fine piece of software will do all of the sequencing for you. In other words, less work sequencing and more fun setting up and designing the display.

Also, I heard that LOR was purchasing another company and the combined two will have 2/3rd's ownership in the lighting industry.

Ok, so I know I couldn't be so lucky to have the first item happen..

But...if we assume "lighting industry" is you describe it = LOR type vendors, that opens some possibilities with at least one company that has gone by the way side..or, Dan's making a hostile bid for GE..:shock:

Do tell more...

Guest wbottomley

DonFL wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:

Ok, so I know I couldn't be so lucky to have the first item happen..

But...if we assume "lighting industry" is you describe it = LOR type vendors, that opens some possibilities with at least one company that has gone by the way side..or, Dan's making a hostile bid for GE..:shock:

Do tell more...

LOL.

It's the animated lighting industry.

Mountainwxman wrote:

There's also a B-list movie star involved in that transaction, although I'm not sure exactly how. But regardless of how he/she is involved, just the name association alone will certainly give our hobby a boost in "visibility". And a perfect time of year for it also. Way to go Dan...

And since Bill has already spilled the beans about the new software, I think you'll be VERY pleasantly surprised Don at how much it WILL do by itself. Auto-sequence won't win any LOR contests, but it should definitely put an end to begging for sequences this time of year.

I heard that a guy whose name starts with a "C" is starting his own separate company to sell his services. They'll come out and design everything for you, assemble it, put it up around Thanksgiving, and then take it down around New Year's, or whenever you or your HOA decide you have to remove it. They've even started to contact local schools to set up times with the choral departments for live caroling for your shows.

All you have to do is purchase your lights at list price from your favorite vendor and buy a ticket and at least a low level sponsorship to the now annual convention and you're in!

Mountainwxman wrote:

I heard the exact same thing. I also heard version 4 is free to people that bought the software package 4 years ago or longer.

This will be an excellent opportunity for Dan to introduce DMZ technology along with DMX. Version 4 software will support DMZ, or so I heard. I am really excited as DMZ is clearly better and easier than DMX. DMZ protocol supports totally wireless LED nodes including the power leads. It gets its power from magnetic induction. I'll bet there will be an iDMZ module soon.

We have a lot of plans for new things next year. There were a number of projects in the works during 2010 that came close to being finished but were not ready in time for this season.

Early next year we will start announcing a fairly long list of new products and new enhancements to current products.

Dan

DanLowell wrote:

LOR Rocks.

What are LOR rocks?

Rainbow coloured rocks that you can sequence to music?

On a serious note I am a bit lost on what to do for next year.

My plan is to add a bunch of RGB node like devices to my display next year.

Some of the devices LOR has not even hinted at yet, so who even knows if there going to be making comparable products at all.

I appreciate Dan not wanting us to hold up our displays waiting for things that may not be available in time, but at the same time I rather not place an order of RGB equipment in January to find out in February LOR is releasing better devices.

Then again there is always Christmas 2012, which with this addiction... I mean Hobey... I am sure I will be buying a bunch more stuff for once again lol

I know from some of the videos I have scene this year there are more people mixing LOR and alternate hardware together in there shows, does any one have any advice on this?

Right now I have a 80 channel display, and may bring it to over 7,000 channels for next year.

csf wrote:

On a serious note I am a bit lost on what to do for next year.

[snip]

We have very big plans for next year. This year we started lots of projects (too many) and didn't finish many of them BUT the good news is that many of them are now ready to go and will certainly be available next year.

With 100% certainty, we will be expanding the Cosmic Color series to include Cosmic Color Bulbs and Cosmic Color Floods. The Cosmic Color Bulbs are individually addressable RGB bulbs and the Cosmic Color Floods are high powered RGB LED floods with high power constant current drivers. They are bright!. We spent a large amount of effort last year getting them ready and they will absolutely be sold in 2011.

A new, more powerful MP3 director has been under development months. It will have a number of new features and will be the heart of our new Plug-n-Show product that will be released next year.

We have the new Gen2 controllers being released next year. They have been going through months of testing, and are currently undergoing UL 508 certification. Gen2 will be a major step forward in firmware as well as many new features in the hardware such as, On Card Ghost Loads (which will help with LEDs), they can also optionally have real snubbers which will help in 240v countries where transformers are plugged into the controller. Other new features as well.

The new Gen2 controller code, is being written so that most of the new firmware based features can be used in our existing controllers as well. Most existing controllers will have a free firmware upgrade that will provide multiple dimming curves. which will help normalize incandescent and LED fades. The fade resolution is being changed from 256 steps to 1024 steps across the ZC. This is important because a device like a LED has such a limited dimming range, that fade step size (with only 256 steps) can be an issue. In addition there are a number of other new features and new lighting effects generated.

Everything that I have just listed I can actually touch and see operate right now, here at LOR. In some cases we already have stock of parts (such as flood heads and RGB Bulb strings) on the shelves.

To support displays with the 1000s of channels required for individually addressable RGB bulbs, we will be making major improvements to our network capabilities and providing high speed Ethernet interfaces that will provide multiple LOR/DMX networks and universes. For those who want to run their show from the PC a lower cost DMX dongle will be available.

The LOR software will be enhanced to support easier sequencing when many 1000s of channels are involved.

For the last year a new visualizer has been under construction. This visualizer will be released early next year. The visualizer allows you to create multi channel objects such as arches, trees, etc. drag them around, layer them so that one appears in front of another, etc... Supports macros, sub sequence activity, etc…

------------

We are also looking at:

A new wireless system, new controller configurations (different channel counts), and improvements in audio and video support...

We are also working an a few skunk works projects that will be released next year that I am not ready to talk until closer to the timer of their release.

A leak: One of the skunk works projects is PLC devices. (PLC=Power Line Control) High Speed PLC will eliminate the need for data cables by sending the data signal over the standard, extension cord that you were already using.

Another Leak: A 4 channel PLC controller (which can also be used with CAT5 if desired) is being tested!

Dan…

LightORamaDan wrote:

We have the new Gen2 controllers being released next year. They have been going through months of testing, and are currently undergoing UL 508 certification. Gen2 will be a major step forward in firmware as well as many new features in the hardware such as, On Card Ghost Loads (which will help with LEDs), they can also optionally have real snubbers which will help in 240v countries where transformers are plugged into the controller. Other new features as well.

Will these new controllers be available in kit form as well?

Dan,

Can you comment if the Cosmic COlor Bulbs will be available for purchase in January? Trying to figure out my prepurchase of lights and if these units can replace my LED order then I'd prefer to go this way.

Thanks

Howard

LightORamaDan wrote:

We have very big plans for next year. This year we started lots of projects (too many) and didn't finish many of them BUT the good news is that many of them are now ready to go and will certainly be available next year.

With 100% certainty, we will be expanding the Cosmic Color series to include Cosmic Color Bulbs and Cosmic Color Floods. The Cosmic Color Bulbs are individually addressable RGB bulbs and the Cosmic Color Floods are high powered RGB LED floods with high power constant current drivers. They are bright!. We spent a large amount of effort last year getting them ready and they will absolutely be sold in 2011.

A new, more powerful MP3 director has been under development months. It will have a number of new features and will be the heart of our new Plug-n-Show product that will be released next year.

The new Gen2 controller code, is being written so that most of the new firmware based features can be used in our existing controllers as well. Most existing controllers will have a free firmware upgrade that will provide multiple dimming curves. which will help normalize incandescent and LED fades. The fade resolution is being changed from 256 steps to 1024 steps across the ZC. This is important because a device like a LED has such a limited dimming range, that fade step size (with only 256 steps) can be an issue. In addition there are a number of other new features and new lighting effects generated.

Everything that I have just listed I can actually touch and see operate right now, here at LOR. In some cases we already have stock of parts (such as flood heads and RGB Bulb strings) on the shelves.

To support displays with the 1000s of channels required for individually addressable RGB bulbs, we will be making major improvements to our network capabilities and providing high speed Ethernet interfaces that will provide multiple LOR/DMX networks and universes. For those who want to run their show from the PC a lower cost DMX dongle will be available.

The LOR software will be enhanced to support easier sequencing when many 1000s of channels are involved.

For the last year a new visualizer has been under construction. This visualizer will be released early next year. The visualizer allows you to create multi channel objects such as arches, trees, etc. drag them around, layer them so that one appears in front of another, etc... Supports macros, sub sequence activity, etc…

------------

We are also looking at:

A new wireless system, new controller configurations (different channel counts), and improvements in audio and video support...

We are also working an a few skunk works projects that will be released next year that I am not ready to talk until closer to the timer of their release.

A leak: One of the skunk works projects is PLC devices. (PLC=Power Line Control) High Speed PLC will eliminate the need for data cables by sending the data signal over the standard, extension cord that you were already using.

Another Leak: A 4 channel PLC controller (which can also be used with CAT5 if desired) is being tested!

Dan…

Thanks for the info Dan. Cool stuff to come, can't wait!

Steve