Light-O-Rama Forums

leds glow but incandescents don't 0n 1 side of a controller

John (oldandslow)

This year, my second I mixed led and incandescent lights and notice that one of my controllers that have the led lights glow when off but the incandescents don't. I have 5 of the 30 amp models and this is the only one side that it glows the leds. Channels 1 to 8.

The show works great and they twinkle and fade ok no problem.

Any Ideas as to whats wrong?

I looked on the hardware screen but didn't see anything about a reset button. Where do I find the reset button?

Thanks for the help.

John

John (oldandslow) wrote:

What are snubbers?

Do a search and you'll find a veritable plethora of threads...

Here's my favorite. I made these and many LED problems like choppy fades and glowing in the dark went away.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/37562-Easiest-Terminators-Snubbers-to-make

I believe on that model you unplug the power, set the both address dials to 0, apply power for 30 seconds, remove power, place address dials back to where you had them originally and reapply power. That should had reset the controller.

Make sure that you have the hot to the hot input and the neutral to the neutral input of the card. Sure does sound like the wiring is reversed somewhere. If the wiring to the card is right. Then make sure that the outlet is wired correctly or any home made extension cord is properly wired.

What you are describing sounds just like a problem I had in my first year display last year.

Max-Paul wrote:

Make sure that you have the hot to the hot input and the neutral to the neutral input of the card. Sure does sound like the wiring is reversed somewhere. If the wiring to the card is right. Then make sure that the outlet is wired correctly or any home made extension cord is properly wired.

What you are describing sounds just like a problem I had in my first year display last year.

Especially when it is just channels 1-8 on one controller, you can start with the reset as a quick easy thing to try, but I'm betting that hot and neutral are swapped to the controller.. It could be inlet cord connections, extension cords, outlet, or even connections up stream in the house wiring...

George Simmons wrote:

John (oldandslow) wrote:
What are snubbers?

Here's my favorite. I made these and many LED problems like choppy fades and glowing in the dark went away.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/37562-Easiest-Terminators-Snubbers-to-make

thanks for this post..filing it away for reference, even though I've not had any LED snubber issues.

For anyone wondering why it happens, the scope traces and discussion are good reading.

DonFL wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
John (oldandslow) wrote:
What are snubbers?

thanks for this post..filing it away for reference, even though I've not had any LED snubber issues.

For anyone wondering why it happens, the scope traces and discussion are good reading.
Yes, the gent (forgive me, I have forgotten your name) who wrote up that post along with his pictures of his digital Oscope. Is great! Very informative and explains everything in great detail. That post should be tacked on one of the discussion topics like this one.

What say you guys? Should we get Dan or one of the other mods to tack that post at the top? I say YES.

I reset the controller and I changed extension cords. I also took all the leds and made sure that they were all plugged in the same way. Channels 1,5,7,8 which have leds still glow, while 2,3,4,6 have incandescents and do not glow. 10,12.13.14.16 on the same controller have the same leds and do not glow.

Is there a setting on the box that may be off? I have 3 other boxes that are fine running leds.

Thanks to all for your support

John

John,

do you have the left side and the right side on separate power cords? Do these plug into different outlets? Have you double checked how the power cords are terminated to the controller? Have you checked the wiring at the outlets? Are you sure that hot is going to the brass screw and neutral to the silver screw on the outlet?

And if they are on different outlets, have you tried swapping which outlet the cords are plugged into? See if the issue follows the channels, or follows the outlet?

And just for giggles, have you tried plugging in a set of incandescent mini lights or a glade air freshener into the end of one of the sets of LED's to see if that makes the glow in the dark go away?

Note: you'll have to run a command through the controller after plugging something in before you can see if it works.