Light-O-Rama Forums

Recommended Addition: Combining Effects

Guest guest

I'm not sure if this can already be done. If it can, please enlighten me!

I have a section of a song where there is a huge hit including lots of the instruments. I want to have a multi-colored tree Twinkle AND Fade out at the same time as the hit fades in volume. Right now it seems that I can only have it Twinkle OR Fade out. I want both! I suppose I could do it manually by adjusting the fade from setting in options, but this seems un-necessarily tedious (as if programming a good sequence isn't tedious enough!)

So, that's my suggestion. The ability to fade in and out using the twinkle or shimmer effects.

I like that idea a lot. I'll be it could be done programmatically easily enough.

Can't wait to see v2 of LOR, Dan (Baldwin). Bet your "wishlist" from us freaks is huge.

Cheers,
Charlie

You can currently do something like that, but it does take some time and effort to do it. What you would do (I think...I've seen it described in the old PC chatroom, and I hope I'm describing it correctly), is set a fade to happen for the length that you want it.

Once you have the fade, you would go back and randomly turn off channels within the fade.

It's pretty simple in concept, but depending on how you want it to happen, it could be time consuming.

It would be a nice feature for the future of LOR.

The information Kenny posted is correct. I would think that your events would have to be .10 in length, or smaller, to give the twinkling effect. If you have a 5 second fade, that's a lot of events.

Plus, if you add it after the fact, you have to go in and redraw the others parts of your sequence that was removed when you created the extra events.

Edit: I have very few complaints about LOR, but that's one. If add events, things are removed. For example, if you have a 1 second "ON" command, and split it into .10 segments, only the first .10 segment will remain "ON." The entire thing should stay on, in my opinion, but I don't know how it's programmed.

Don wrote:

The information Kenny posted is correct. I would think that your events would have to be .10 in length, or smaller, to give the twinkling effect. If you have a 5 second fade, that's a lot of events.

Plus, if you add it after the fact, you have to go in and redraw the others parts of your sequence that was removed when you created the extra events.

Edit: I have very few complaints about LOR, but that's one. If add events, things are removed. For example, if you have a 1 second "ON" command, and split it into .10 segments, only the first .10 segment will remain "ON." The entire thing should stay on, in my opinion, but I don't know how it's programmed.

It is true that it takes a bit of time but in a minutes work you can create a twinkle fade.... move the mouse around fast and quicly click as you are moving.

I agree about the adding events it is fixed in the next release. I have gotten into the habit of never adding events. I create my sequence with an event every 1/20 to 1/50 of a second so I never need to add one.

LightORama wrote:

I agree about the adding events it is fixed in the next release. I have gotten into the habit of never adding events. I create my sequence with an event every 1/20 to 1/50 of a second so I never need to add one.

That would be a GREAT improvement, and address one of my few remaining LOR complaints.

Another related feature request: When using the tapper wizard multiple times, I'd love to be able to "hide" the grid lines from the other channels. To phrase another way: Maybe on some channels I need 1/10 second resolution, but on another channel I just want it to flash with the lyrics, which I tap in. I can use the tapper on that channel, but it never works well because there's already a bazillion events in the grid. So I can't click in fades, etc. If this isn't clear what I mean, I'll give an example with steps.

The above is why I hardly ever use the tapper wizard, but it would be a nice tool I could.

Thanks,
-Tim

An excellent suggestion, Tim. Different channels should have their own event timelines. I was actually a little surprised when I first opened the software and found all channels had the same timeline. You can work around it, but it would be easier if they could be seperated.

Along those lines, another feature would be the ability to sync channel timelines. That way, if you want a few channels to have the same timeline, you could manually sync them to one another, so if you changed one they'd all change.

That would give us a "hybrid" of what we already have.

Wow! Some really good ideas here.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to tap to a single channel instead of the whole layout, and only have that channel's events shown within it's row. I haven't done music in my own display yet, but I have experimented with it, and I think that this would make it easier to sync certain things to.

Zac_Cutt wrote:

I just want fading shimmer,

Zac

Now that I like and could use....Be real handy for the end of a few of my sequences. Great suggestion Zac.

I've figured out how to do a fade-up or fade down from 50% without too much effort, but not having to "cheat- it" would be cool too.

Lets say you are using a 16 channel contoller... Of the 16 channels, you use 14.... Channel 1 is set to twinkle, can I take an unused channel like 15 and reasign it to be a second channel 1 and apply a fade?

gherd wrote:

Lets say you are using a 16 channel contoller... Of the 16 channels, you use 14.... Channel 1 is set to twinkle, can I take an unused channel like 15 and reasign it to be a second channel 1 and apply a fade?

No... What would happen is a fade or a twinkle would happen. Which would happen depends on lots of variables but only one would happen...(the last command received will supersede the previous ones).

With LOR II we do have something that will do what many of you are talking about here. I think it is neat the way we have accomplished it and I am not going to describe it in any detail... You will see it when the new software comes out.