Light-O-Rama Forums

Drawing Spiral Tree

LarryDrumAZ

Anyone dabbled with this yet? Just trying to figure out if there is a way, other than the standard "Fan" to draw a spiral tree, to get a sense of what it will look like, rather than setting it up and having to change sequences because it doesn't look right. Thanks all!

Larry

I haven't quite figured it out yet myself, but you can draw a top view of spirals to see how they spin. I would like to see a side view in the visualizer as well.

I just use this picture below. My spiral is only 11' tall and uses 16 channels. The inner squares you are seeing are balls and strobes I have on the inside.

Each purple block has 2 channels represented. This works for me.

Attached files 227995=12558-Zman_animation_Spiral.bmp

• Like 1

I drew something in the animation...but until I saw it "live" on my actual tree, I had NOOOO idea what it would look like or how to sequence it to make it look good.

Make yourself a "small" spiral tree in your backyard and hook your controllers up to it...

no sense taking all the time to sequence a lot of songs based on an animation then realize it looked nothing like you thought it would...

I used this as an example for my visualizer. I wish I could recall if I captured this image from this forum or not. My apologies to the original designer/poster for using this and not providing credit.

Attached files 228031=12560-2010-04-24_Capture.jpg

• 3 months later...

I really had to visualize the 20 ft. Weber tree I made last year in my mind as I sequenced. After it was built and in the front yard I was completely amazed at how well the sequencing went. I traced a photo of that tree to give you an idea of what a side view of a 16 channel Weber tree would look like. Now I have to figure out how the visualizer software works so I can start using it for this year. Going from 32 to 128 channels presents a bit of a learning curve.

Attached files 239671=13060-Weber Tree Anim 16.jpg

Nice!!!

Will have to try and add this to my visualizer!!

Unless of course the NEW LOR visualizer will have an option that automatically makes a Weber tree for you!!!

*hint hint**

:)

Brian...Dan says to get to work on this RIGHT away...

right after you have finished the new SUPER STAR software for the CCB's!!! :D

basis21b wrote:

I used this as an example for my visualizer. I wish I could recall if I captured this image from this forum or not. My apologies to the original designer/poster for using this and not providing credit.

I'll have to take credit for the visualizer pic that was originally seen in another forum. Since then, I added a vertical component. So I've included a partial view of what my animation screen looks like for a spiral, the left shows the side view and the right is the top view.
For purposes of this pic only, I used purple for channel 2, and yellow for channel 3 (these colors used only to show the two different channels for this example; they're really white). The pixels follow the same lines shown in Mark's drawing above. When a song is running in the editor, I can tell pretty much tell what the final result will look like, much better than the top view only.
Richard

Attached files 239683=13061-Spiral tree animation sidev
  • Like 1

Mark Showalter wrote:

I really had to visualize the 20 ft. Weber tree I made last year in my mind as I sequenced. After it was built and in the front yard I was completely amazed at how well the sequencing went. I traced a photo of that tree to give you an idea of what a side view of a 16 channel Weber tree would look like. Now I have to figure out how the visualizer software works so I can start using it for this year. Going from 32 to 128 channels presents a bit of a learning curve.

Wait..did you find an old spirograph toy in your attic?...:D

For those too young to remember: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirograph (the math explaining how it works is a good read...:shock:)

Hijacked thread now being returned to its rightful owner...

Here is a sequence file I made to help me do spirals.
It's 16 channels and has animation that show the spiral movements.
The tree is similar to the picture Mark S. posted above, but a not as tall since I made my spiral trees 7ft tall.
I think I posted one similar a while ago, but give it a look if you are interested.

Attached files spiral sample 16 channels.las

Jerry,

Could you please post that link (and any screen shots you might have) in the sequencing tips thread in Newbies? Thanks again for a great tool!

jerryb721 wrote:

Here is a sequence file I made to help me do spirals.
It's 16 channels and has animation that show the spiral movements.
The tree is similar to the picture Mark S. posted above, but a not as tall since I made my spiral trees 7ft tall.
I think I posted one similar a while ago, but give it a look if you are interested.

Hi folks,
I am posting this sequence again because the one I originally posted was slightly off in the channel order.
Sorry when I saw the original post I quickly put the sequence together to give you a sample and grabbed the wrong configuration file.
Here's the corrected sequence

Attached files spiral sample 16 channels updated.las

• 2 weeks later...

I took the line drawing I posted earlier and put it in the visualizer. This 16 channel Weber tree gives you a pretty good look at what the side view would look like with various standard animations. Hope this helps.

Realize each of the 16 channels are a different shade of white to grey. The darker the channel the harder it is to see in the animation.