Light-O-Rama Forums

Sonic FX feature in Lightshow Pro

BrianBruderer

On the internet I have found some mention of a feature in Lightshow Pro called Sonic FX. It sounds like it is designed to allow you to turn on sets of channels when different frequencies of music are active thus allowing "automatic sequencing."

I have done a search in the online Lightshow Pro documentation and cannot find mention of Sonic FX. Is anyone familiar with this feature? Does it still exist in the current Lightshow Pro software?

In August of this year a fellow posted a question on the Lightshow Pro forum about the Sonic FX feature, and there was no response to it. So I figured I would try asking about it here. But I suppose it would be a good idea to post the question there also.

It would be an interesting "Wizard" to add to LOR S2, but I sure wouldn't use it for more than an effect here or there. If it were that easy, none of us would be spending time sequencing manually, and just buying advanced color organs.

At least with the current state of Artificial Intelligence, you're not going to get arches to leap, trees to spin, etc. (that is, make your display make any sort of sense) by listening to frequencies only.

Tim Fischer wrote:

It would be an interesting "Wizard" to add to LOR S2, but I sure wouldn't use it for more than an effect here or there. If it were that easy, none of us would be spending time sequencing manually, and just buying advanced color organs.

At least with the current state of Artificial Intelligence, you're not going to get arches to leap, trees to spin, etc. (that is, make your display make any sort of sense) by listening to frequencies only.

My SuperStar software has an "Instant Sequence" feature that uses timing marks and timing channels to create sequences. As you can guess, I am interested in the Sonic FX feature to see how he does it.

As for the LOR sequence editor, you can turn on channels using the VU Wizard and could do some "automatic sequencing" using that. It would not be as good as what a human can do, but if properly done, it could create some good sequences. I would expect some people have done some sequences in the LOR software that way. Anyone on this forum used the VU Wizard to create a sequence?

BrianBruderer wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:

My SuperStar software has an "Instant Sequence" feature that uses timing marks and timing channels to create sequences. As you can guess, I am interested in the Sonic FX feature to see how he does it.

As for the LOR sequence editor, you can turn on channels using the VU Wizard and could do some "automatic sequencing" using that. It would not be as good as what a human can do, but if properly done, it could create some good sequences. I would expect some people have done some sequences in the LOR software that way. Anyone on this forum used the VU Wizard to create a sequence?

I've used the VU wizard, but VERY sparingly. I used it to turn my row of mini-trees into a VU meter. It's a cool effect, but would wear out quickly if you did it for an entire song. I just used it for a couple of choruses of one sequence.

I've also used the VU Wizard to create VU meters with my light poles. But, like Tim, I've used it very sparingly. I agree that it would become very tiresome to watch for any extended period of time, or on more than just a few sequences. Besides, there aren't very many elements of a display where you can actually use it to good advantage since it responds only to loudness.

• The topic was locked