Light-O-Rama Forums

Attaching CCR's to cables

Jeff F

Any suggestion on how others attached the CCR's to cables would be appreciated.

We are using 1/8" cable for strength in the wind. Tried zip ties and they just slide on the cable so we are now trying electrical tape. How tight do you secure them?

We are using them vertical. Thanks!!

I first did the SuperStar Lights Tree with 12 CCR's and what I did was get 2-10ft sections of 1/2 rigid (gray) PVC per CCR and to give the PVC a backbone I used a high tension nylon cable that ran though the PVC pipe and tied it off on both ends and I "would have" cable tied the CCR to the pipe (at the cut points of the CCR every 3 ft), it gave me the support and stability to support all my CCR's.....that's until a windstorm blew it over (because I didn't guy wire my mast before the storm hit and my CCR's weren't mounted yet) now I'm doing a horizontal matrix on a 5ft chain-link fence.

Jeff F wrote:

Any suggestion on how others attached the CCR's to cables would be appreciated.

We are using 1/8" cable for strength in the wind. Tried zip ties and they just slide on the cable so we are now trying electrical tape. How tight do you secure them?

We are using them vertical. Thanks!!

I think you'll need to attach something to the cable first and then attach the CCR to whatever that is. (I have no suggestion what to attach to the cable.) Trying to zip tie CCRs to a cable will definitely bend them in ways they were never designed to survive.

We have 2 pieces of nylon string attached to our mega tree hook head. Our CCR is attached with on string on each side of it with zip ties. The zip ties are not tight enough to bend the CCR strip itself.

Has worked great so far.

I would have inserted the pictures, but they did not want to resize right. I did not want to get chewed out if they did not fit on someones computer screen correctly. ; )

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/roberson3pictures/PC060076.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/roberson3pictures/PC060077.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/roberson3pictures/PC060078.jpg

Hi Paul,
Thanks for attaching the pictures.
Do you have anything behind the CCR's?
Do they slide around or do they stay in place?

How often do you zip tie them to your cables?

I was going to attach a rope to our 1/8" cables, but my
concern here in WI is that we can get rain one minute and freezing the next,
that rope will hold the water and freeze.

Jeff F wrote:

Hi Paul,
Thanks for attaching the pictures.
Do you have anything behind the CCR's?
Do they slide around or do they stay in place?

How often do you zip tie them to your cables?

I was going to attach a rope to our 1/8" cables, but my
concern here in WI is that we can get rain one minute and freezing the next,
that rope will hold the water and freeze.

They have not slid around at all best I can tell. There is nothing behind the CCR.

The string I use is just nylon string.

I looped a string around one of the hooks on the hook head then skipped one hook and put the other string on. The string forming a sort of Y at the top. The two strings run down each side of the CCR and is attached at every 'cut point'.

At the bottom it is also attached in a Y form.

• The topic was locked