Light-O-Rama Forums

Whole House Transmitter - Antenna Length Calculation

Jay Czerwinski

Can anyone please guide me towards the calculation or method to use to improve the range of my Whole House 2.0 FM transmitter.

1. I found the switch behind a sticker

2. I lost the calculation page for cutting the antenna extension to a tuned length

3. Any other suggestions welcome!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Jay

I have the WHT 2.0 here is the calculations according to the sheet.

On a calculater divide 11811 by the FM station MHZ you want to transmit on.

Example :

For station 93.9 Mhz divide 11811 by the station frequency of 93.9 = 125.78 inches, for 103.7 Mhz divide 11811 by the station frequency 103.7 = 113.89 inches.

Hope that this is what you are looking for.

THANK YOU!! That is what I was looking for!

Maybe another silly question, but where would I start measuring from - the part I added, the box, or estimate from the circuit board?

I believe you start counting from the transmitter. I base that on the fact that the longest you needs is for 88.1, it needs 134 inch's, the new extension ion is only 130 and the one comping out of the unit is 4.

Jim Saul wrote:

I believe you start counting from the transmitter. I base that on the fact that the longest you needs is for 88.1, it needs 134 inch's, the new extension ion is only 130 and the one comping out of the unit is 4.

Very smart thinking! Thank you for the final direction!

Well, I got the Whole House Transmitter working the way I need it to be working for my display. It covers the Burger King parking lot below my high rise window view and about 100 feet beyond.

I learned that the type of wire is not important, and that the connections are not so critical - just keep them solid. So I soldered the part I cut off back on to the wire and started at 88.1 and worked my way up the dial to 88.7. I am quite pleased now, although more power might be nice, it works as needed.

I even pulled the wire inside of my window in to the concrete loft with metal windows and the signal held strong.

In the end, I think my real challenge was a clear channel. My advice to others would be to try all of the frequencies you can before resorting to other methods....

Thank you to everyone! Now to get the light frames in the windows -- this weekend I should be up and running for sure!!