Light-O-Rama Forums

Video Camera?

Jim Saul

I too had an Olympus. Just got a Rebel T1i also. The T1i is a DSLR that can also do 1080 HD. The only drawback on this camera is manual focus. Not a problem for recording the show but if your subject is moving to or from the camera, maintaining focus will be a challenge. If you want the best of both worlds, pic and vid, look into the Nikon D7000. It's pricey at $1300, but has everything you need.

The Nikon d90 has given me some really nice videos from Halloween.

Only draw back are:
1) file limit of 5min in HD
2) 720p max resolution

The Nikon d7000, while a bit more price seams to fix both of the above issues.

melwelch wrote:

Instead of adjusting your shutter speed look for your "gain" setting... Lower this down to -2 or -3... It is not a white balance problem.... It is all the blackness and a few lights.... The camera is trying to balance the extream black with the bright lights... The lights are washed out from over exposure... By turning the gain down you will compinsate for the auto exposure failures.... You get the same effect when you are inside a house and there is an open window... The window will be washed out... If you turn the gain down the window will become visable but inside will be dark.... That is what you want.... Your focus is the window the same is true with Christmas lights....

I have been taking videos of fireworks for almost 40 years now...

Turned the gain down to 0, it was the lowest setting I had. It made the colors all true! Thank you! Now...The 1 problem with the video is the backround is extremely dark. UGH. I accomplish the colors I want and lose something else. Any other ideas? I'd appreciate them...

pokrplr wrote:

Turned the gain down to 0, it was the lowest setting I had. It made the colors all true! Thank you! Now...The 1 problem with the video is the backround is extremely dark. UGH. I accomplish the colors I want and lose something else. Any other ideas? I'd appreciate them...

OK if you want to bring up the background you need to pick the time of day... Twilight or just before complete darkness... Because you are shooting with the gain turned down you will get a look like you shot at night... Kinda the same in the movies when try shoot day for night....

Its not the camera that makes a good shot it has more to do with the user.... (I added this for the people obsessed with hardware)...

I remember the old story from a famous photographer... He was at a famous restaurant and the Chef came out to meet the guy... During their talk the Chef wanted to know what camera he was using... When he showed him his high end camera the Chef remarked, "No wonder you take such wonderful pictures with equipment like that". Well the photographer was pissed the whole time he was there eating... Well when he finished he asked to be able to go back and see the Chef... When got back to the kitchen he asked the Chef what equipment he uses to fix the delicious meal... The Chef proudly showed him the top of the line pots, pans and knives... The photographer remarked, "Oh no wonder your food is so good with equipment like that "... Then he left....

Point of the story… It is the artist not the equipment…

csf wrote:

The Nikon d90 has given me some really nice videos from Halloween.

Only draw back are:
1) file limit of 5min in HD
2) 720p max resolution

The Nikon d7000, while a bit more price seams to fix both of the above issues.

There mightbe a setting you can change for length of time. Also you'll want to get Sandisk extreme SD cards so that you get faster read/write speeds and get the best performance out of your camera.

I remember the old story from a famous photographer... He was at a famous restaurant and the Chef came out to meet the guy... During their talk the Chef wanted to know what camera he was using... When he showed him his high end camera the Chef remarked, "No wonder you take such wonderful pictures with equipment like that". Well the photographer was pissed the whole time he was there eating... Well when he finished he asked to be able to go back and see the Chef... When got back to the kitchen he asked the Chef what equipment he uses to fix the delicious meal... The Chef proudly showed him the top of the line pots, pans and knives... The photographer remarked, "Oh no wonder your food is so good with equipment like that "... Then he left....

Point of the story… It is the artist not the equipment…

Yeah, but equipment helps. Can't be an artist if the food sticks to the pan ;)

Kodak Zi8 lovers or those wanting a new one from Santa.

Target $99 Brand New - These were $179 a few months ago