Light-O-Rama Forums

I HATE TEENAGERS

Jack Ahrend

Is anyone having problems with vandalism? I am having 3-4 strands of LEDs cut late at night, this has already happened 3 times. Does anyone have any knowledge of possibly a proximity alarm?? It is unfortunate that these kids have ZERO respect for other people's property. I do this show for the whole town and region to enjoy and am getting very close to saying screw it and take it all down and replace it with a very sarcastic sign thanking parents for knowing where their children are.

Frustrated in Texas:(

cmoore60 wrote:

Are you sure it is teenagers and NOT critters. Like Rabbits, Squirrels?

Chuck

My neighbor was so angry with vandals. He swore they cut one small remote section of his yard light fence into 100 little pieces. I could not convince him that it was our ground hog trying to get across his yard to see his girl friend.

We have bunches of problems with squirrels/rabbits cutting our wires. I go out each morning and check for cut wires. They make a clean cut just like they were using scissors. This year we are trying repellent. Have not had the problem yet!

Interesting product you introduced, the wireless prox alarm. Harbor Freight has it online currently for only $17.99.

I was wondering how well this product works. You said you have it on your front porch, which is where my controller is. Have you had any "false alarms", or is this pretty reliable?

We have not had any incidents, pretty quiet neighborhood, but the thought is always in the back of my mind.

Cheers,

Blake

Get a "Trail Camera" that hunters use for tracking game. Get one with an infared flash and place it in the problem area. Also make sure that all indicator LED's are covered with black tape. Check it everyday and see what or who shows up and cuts the wires.

cmoore60 wrote:

Are you sure it is teenagers and NOT critters. Like Rabbits, Squirrels?

Chuck

I had rabbits cut through 5 sets of net lights, the cut at the plug and at the net, leaving the 18" section of cord on the ground there. I had to cut extension cords and splice them in to save the lights. And yes, I know they were rabbits BUT I would have sworn they were cut with wire cutters from how clean the cuts were.

Leave your lights on all night at 50%. That keeps the area illuminated and if the SOB cut it again, well . . . they might feel a little tingle.

I live in Canada, and about 5 mins from my house, an entire street had all of their lights cut in one night... scares me a lot because i have 96 strings out there on my property!!!:)

I don't know why people feel the need to do this, but rumor has it all it takes is a pair of heavy rubber gloves and a dry night :X

Haha, i know, but I just bought these strings within the past month and a half... plus all the extension cords and other items... I at least want to see one happy season out of the like 5G I spent since October, lol.

Guest Don Gillespie

Burleson Christmas Geek wrote
thanking parents for knowing where their children are.

Don't be to judgemental on the teenagers, if you know for sure it is kids thats different it might be one of your nieghbors a camera will solve your problem and you might get them in the act then you can do something to prevent it from happening again its to bad there are some rotten apples that spoil it for everyone, good luck in your search for the bad guys

I found that my dancing Santa did not work when I took it out of storage this year. Seems a mouse chewed clean through only 1/2 of the power cord. Just found it this morning! Damn inconsiderate rodents.

Blake, after I narrowed the beam with the tape I did eliminate the false readings.

Works well for letting us know when someone is coming to the door. Our living room is in the back of the house so I would not know if someone is our front.

Hi Burleson,

Brian here in North Richland Hills Tx not to far from you and what works is get a Trail Cam at WalMart or any Sports place. Get one that takes pics at night and video. I borrowed one for halloween due to I had some kids jacking with my props. It works wonders when they see it or when they dont and you catch them in the act and then get to down and kick there BUTTS!!..HAHA

Attached files 225474=12467-DeerFlash_JPG.jpg

Sorry to hear that.. I have also had trouble this year.. I suppose it could have been animals.. but I have had other issues such as theft before so I am quick to assume the worst.

ace_master wrote:

I live in Canada, and about 5 mins from my house, an entire street had all of their lights cut in one night... scares me a lot because i have 96 strings out there on my property!!!:)

I don't know why people feel the need to do this, but rumor has it all it takes is a pair of heavy rubber gloves and a dry night :X

Hell a standard pair of scissors with a plastic handle can do it safely. Usually the first cut is sufficient to pop a breaker from the dead short.

Its time to invest into some Critter Cams to catch the little jerks!!! I was at Sams Club the other day and my wife had to put back the Security Cams I put in the cart it was only 450 dollars HAHA but it had 8 cams and a DVR to keep it all recorded so I was like but ball and chain what about my halloween and Xmas displays!! I didnt win the argument but I will keep trying! Maybe HOHO will bring them to me for next year.