Light-O-Rama Forums

Can We Please Get A Better Shimmer?

George Simmons

Is there anyone else who's not completely happy with the shimmer function? I like it just fine when I see it on the visualizer but I think it sucks when I see it in the yard. I feel it's too fast, especially for incandescents. Unlless you're a foot away from the lights it's almost unnoticeable. I'd like to see it a bit slower, or better yet, have a speed control. If anyone else feels the same way please sign on below and also send it to the wishlist. Thanks.

I removed a song from my show because i had my arches shimmering up and down.Looked awesome in the animator....But watching it live the incadesant arches just looked really dimmed.

Hate to disagree with you George...but I like the shimmer effects!!!

But perhaps...I would like it even more with a speed control.

Certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to have...

I also find myself not using the shimmer much just because you can't see it well. I also vote for a speed control just like you can change the intensity and fade %.

Jeremy B.

I dont know how hard it would be to make a user interface to adjust twinkle and another variable to allow us to tweak the shimmer speed. But I would like to see this also.

there is a function in the hardware utility to change the shimmer & twinkle effects. Not sure what th rhyme or reason to the control is as a single number change doesn't seem to modify the effect the same way from say 7 to 8 to 9..... I had to fiddle with mine a bit this year to get both effects to look SAT for my show.

I think it would be nice to have a 'blink'. Perhaps a wide swing adjustment on shimmer could also produce a 'blink'.

I am with George. Speed control would be great. It goes so fast with led they don't look like they are turning off completely.

Ok everyone here wants the shimmer to change so until LOR comes out with something try this.

Open a new sequence 8 channels, 30 seconds long with 1/10 timings, no music, nothing but 8 channels. Name it and save it as SHIMMER SAMPLE

Now go into each channel and create 8 different effects that you like. I do this by going into each cell and change the intensity then select random cells or create a pattern, you can do this as many times as you like. You have 8 channels to do this with. You can make single channels or if you have two channels come on at once you can pair up two channels. Set up a controller and test it to see if you like it if not adjust it to get what you want.

All you need to do then is copy the channel or channels you want and paste it in.

This can be used for a custom twinkle, spins for your mega tree or just about anything you want to use it for just make it and save it then use it

I used this for a custom twinkle across 5 channels and it cuts down on sequencing time.

Anthony