Light-O-Rama Forums

Show stopped

Ed Slonka Jr

I also noticed that the same crash is occurring since I started my show for the year. It never happens the first night after a reboot. It almost always happens the 2nd night. The faulting module says: nvd3dum.dll which is an NVidia graphics file...which is surprising because I didn't think that LOR used any type of OpenGL or DirectX graphics during a show (only during sequencing). Could be wrong. I updated my graphics drivers just to test this problem out...and it still occurred. I'm not completely eliminating the graphics card just yet as I'm going to replace the Nvidia card with an ATI HD3450 dual head card today.

I'll report back with the results. If it continues, then something within LOR has to be causing this (i.e. buffer overrun, memory leak, etc.). I didn't have these problems last year.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WayneKremer

• rgardner518

• jeffl

• Ed Slonka Jr

The program just just locked up on me again tonight. The only problem I have had in a week is that ti was locked up before it started two nights ago.It was two hours into the show and just stopped playing. It just said "not responding". I unplugged the USB and disabled shows, then re-inserted the USB and enabled the schedule and the show started up from the begining. I'm convinced that there is a problem with the program.

WayneKremer wrote:

I also noticed that the same crash is occurring since I started my show for the year. It never happens the first night after a reboot. It almost always happens the 2nd night. The faulting module says: nvd3dum.dll which is an NVidia graphics file...which is surprising because I didn't think that LOR used any type of OpenGL or DirectX graphics during a show (only during sequencing). Could be wrong. I updated my graphics drivers just to test this problem out...and it still occurred. I'm not completely eliminating the graphics card just yet as I'm going to replace the Nvidia card with an ATI HD3450 dual head card today.

I'll report back with the results. If it continues, then something within LOR has to be causing this (i.e. buffer overrun, memory leak, etc.). I didn't have these problems last year.

I notice everyone refers to the NVidia graphics on this particular error. I came across this in the MSKB which refers to an NVidia USB chipset. I'm not sure this is related but might be worth taking a look at. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

MikeH

Well, I replaced the NVidia video card with an ATI and the probably actually got worse. The sequences are still slow to load (regardless of rebooting) with the ATI card. LOR actually starts turning on the lights, then realizes that the video/sequence isn't done loading and stops, once it's done loading, then it starts it up from the beginning. It did this for 2 hours before it locked the computer up and stopped.

When it behaves like this, my sequences that don't have any video, load fairly fast and without problems. It just that most of my sequences do have video and each video file is about 100MB large, so the large size exasperates the problem.

I'm sure there are tons of settings I can mess around with to get it to work the way it should and I think I set the system for performance...and probably put the NVidia card back in.

I don't have to reboot here, we get enough power bumps it gets rebooted all the time. Fire right back up and starts over...

When wind blows.... which is all the time, we only notice it if it is over 60mph...:dude:

I ordered a new motherboard for the machine I was having stuck channels with. Ran ok for a 30 minute test the fist night. Last night it ran for 10 minute and just stopped. No errors or nothing.

I'm done with building machines. I don't know why, but I'm convinced that the USB setup is not created equal on all machine and however LOR works with them doesn't always work so well.

My next machine is going to be whatever model LOR suggests works the best.

I'm having a similar problem where LOR stops responding. I then reboot the PC and when the show starts up there is a delay between songs. Then as it goes along the delay seems to go away. I will try the pre-load option tonight. (version 2.8.12) I was thinking of upgrading to 2.9.4

Just got word from my son that the lights did not come on again tonight, he is rebooting. Reboot worked.

Rob

Do this as a test. Turn on system sounds for the items listed below and start your show. Listen for the sound like when you plug in a USB device. If you hear that sound while your show is running your having USB issues. I built a brand new machine this year that worked perfectly until I started using it to run my show. After a few times watching the show I started to spot my background lights going of and on and channels sticking. I tested everything imaginable only to revert back to a trusty laptop.

The bad thing if you are having the same problem I am, different versions of LOR are not going to fix the problem (unless they do something specific to this issue).

The sound my not be that load so you may have to turn up the radio to catch it.

Device connect
Device Disconnect
Device Failed to Connect

Looks like I'm having the same problems as a lot of people with the show locking up.

To fix I must dissconnect USB interface. Dissable show in control panel. Reconnect USB interface and then restart show. This works until the next time. I purchased the updated USB cables and still have the same problem. I've been using the same computer; XP PRO software, for the last 3 years and the problem didn't show up until I did the program updates. The show computer has no virus software running in fact it's been stripped of all unneeded software. Where do I look next for the problem?

I wish I knew. It's been expensive and wore the excitement for my display out of me dealing with this issue this year.

I will say I tested back to S2 2.6 and XP on the machine I have been having issues with so I think the fix is a different interface (I have the USB485b) or different software coding from LOR.

It's too expensive to keep buying computers in hopes that you win the lottery and find one that works.

Found the USB cable at a SEARS store in the electronics side. Have been running my show this A.M. since 5AM trying to get it to fail. So far no problems. The fix couldn't be this easy or could it. Will keep you updated with results.

Same problem. Same computer as last year ... same usb as last year (bought from LOR) ... no problems until last night (Sat.).
Show worked flawlessly for a week, then last night it froze up. I rebooted and it worked fine for about an hour then froze up again - rebooted, worked for less than an hour ... turned it off and went to bed.

"Froze up", in my case refers to the computer locking up ... no mouse, no nothing.

Houston, we have a problem!

The interesting thing to find out would be any commonalities that we, who are having problems, share.

Hope to get some answers.
Thanks,
Tom

TWright wrote:

Same problem. Same computer as last year ... same usb as last year (bought from LOR) ... no problems until last night (Sat.).
Show worked flawlessly for a week, then last night it froze up. I rebooted and it worked fine for about an hour then froze up again - rebooted, worked for less than an hour ... turned it off and went to bed.

"Froze up", in my case refers to the computer locking up ... no mouse, no nothing.

Houston, we have a problem!

The interesting thing to find out would be any commonalities that we, who are having problems, share.

As an after thought, I noticed my sequences/songs starting to "load" closer and closer together, at times "cutting-off" the previous song ... not much, sometimes just a fraction of a second ... but it was noticeable.

I'm getting so fed up with LOR! My show stops at least once a night, or once every other night! I keep getting the same error! I though it was fixed, but I was wrong! I have checked with windows update, and its current with all updates! So Now, why is the lormonitor keep given me so many issues? I see I'm not the only one who sees this!

Attached files 230439=12639-Untitled-Captured-01.jpg