Light-O-Rama Forums

Show stopped

Ed Slonka Jr

I'm running Windows XP SP3, LOR version, 2.8.12. Since Black Friday without "any" issues. Until yesterday! In the middle of a show, I noticed from my window, the LED light was flashing on my controllers. So I went to my computer, and I was there was a pop-up, non-responsive screen. I clicked OK, and closed LOR. That pop-up, shut down my show, and dis-enabled the scheduler. So I installed 2.9.4, and its been running without "any" issues again! (knock on wood).

What did the popup say?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WayneKremer

• rgardner518

• jeffl

• Ed Slonka Jr

After a fresh reboot earilier in the day, my show will be snappy and load/play sequences from one to another for the entire night. It's the NEXT night that things go wrong. Sequences take very long to load and LOR even starts the media file and the lights before it decides to stop and wait for the rest of the load (which continues to take quite a bit of time).

The Show Player is not even running in between shows, and doesn't know anything about the last time that it ran. So I kind of doubt that the problem is that it is somehow itself slowing down after running a show.

Is it possible that you have some sort of scheduled task on your computer, such as an antivirus scan or a disk defragging? Or that you have some program which may be limiting/slowing other programs' access to disk files, such as an on-access file scanner?

The Show Player is not even running in between shows, and doesn't know anything about the last time that it ran. So I kind of doubt that the problem is that it is somehow itself slowing down after running a show.

I'm sorry, that's not true - I was confusing it with when you explicitly disable shows. In that case, the Show Player shuts down. But when shows are enabled, the Show Player is running, regardless of whether a show is playing or not.

So perhaps that's something to try - after your show is over for the night, disable shows, and then enable them again a bit before the next time that your show is supposed to start.

Bob, I actually have a "NoLights" show that just plays music sequences (with no lights being turned on) between the nights shows.

I have looked for scheduled activities (omitting A/V) and couldn't find any. I'll check into the A/V.

One thing I did notice is that towards the end of the show on Saturday night, the videos were not being displayed on the screen for the last 4 sequences...whereas they were throughout the rest of the night. The lights and music was still being pumped out, but the videos just didn't show up. I read the fix that others were applying, but I'm running Windows 7 and have a Nvidia 8400GS graphics card which grayed out the button in the Troubleshooting area of the screen properties. :D Instead, I went to Nvidia's website and updated the graphics card driver (that Microsoft Update said was up to date).

No hiccups since then, but I had to end my show on Sunday night 40 minutes early because of the heavy rain. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few nights. Thx!

Wayne

Bob, the only thing that i have done different from last year is i added a static show to run after the music/animation show runs. This is just to have some lights on after the show each evening. I came home tonight to find that my show dis not start for a second night in a row. Tried to access the control panel but got a blank pop up and then the non resposive message again. Re-boot laptop back in business.

Same problem happened tonight. I'm going to try your suggestion Bob. After the show tonight, I'll disable the shows, then I'll re-enable before it starts tomorrow night.

Here is what I saw the first time it happened to me! Maybe the powers to be can translate it and understand what happened. Ill list them in order. Plus you will see where I upgraded too.

Attached files 226390=12498-Untitled-Captured-02.jpg

I doubt that that's saying that there's a problem with one of your sequences.

I would suggest using Windows Update, and letting it install whatever it says your computer needs. Please note that it doesn't necessarily list all available updates - it only lists those it can currently install - so after installing everything it lists (and after rebooting, if it told me to), the first thing I always do is run Windows Update again, and see if it lists anything new. I keep doing this over and over, until it finally tells me there's nothing new to be installed.

I would also suggest, after Windows Update, going to Add/Remove Programs, and selecting the "Repair" option for Light-O-Rama.

Make sure that no LOR programs are in use when you do so.

Also, does your computer have any recent rollback points that you might be able to use?

Bob, I have been stopping the scheduler (but keeping the LOR control panel) loaded after each show and then re-enabling the scheduler during the beginning of a night's show. And so far, the problem does not appear to present itself. It has only been 2 days, so give me a little more time and I'll let you know the results.

In between my nighttime shows, I had a "NoLights" show that plays music during the day. If this fixes the problem, then it may have something to do with the scheduler not having any breaks in-between shows. I'll keep you posted....

Wayne

WayneKremer wrote:

Bob, I have been stopping the scheduler (but keeping the LOR control panel) loaded after each show and then re-enabling the scheduler during the beginning of a night's show. And so far, the problem does not appear to present itself. It has only been 2 days, so give me a little more time and I'll let you know the results.

In between my nighttime shows, I had a "NoLights" show that plays music during the day. If this fixes the problem, then it may have something to do with the scheduler not having any breaks in-between shows. I'll keep you posted....

Wayne

I hope this isn't one of those "crossing midnight" issues everyone was fighting last year. One of the previous versions of LOR had a problem if you had a show that crossed over midnight. I think it was specifically midnight on Saturday or Sunday. But I can't remember.

(Actually it would be great if that's all it was.)

I don't think it's a midnight Saturday bug, or no breaks in shows.

A quick Google search of "c0000005" (one of the error codes in the screen shots) has something about a Buffer Overrun error. Don't know if it's still valid today, as the sites I saw were a few years old, but it may help.

As an update, I have not done anything else to my computer other than restarting the show on the 4th. And since the 4th, I have not had any other issues.

LORMonitor crashed again last night...and exhibited the extreme slow loading problem prior to it occurring. This was the 2nd night after I rebooted and chose to turn off the scheduler after each show (and start it before each show). Since others have posted their event viewer, I thought I would do the same...and it is similar with the same exception code that others are getting:

Attached files 227242=12533-LORCrash1.png