Light-O-Rama Forums

Problem with channels 1 thru 8

aaron

Hook everything up last night and my second controller of 8 had some problems with channels 1 thru 8, checked fuses and were ok, i replace them anyways with new ones, change out the power supply just to be sure it wasnt power coming so I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!!

CONTROLLER IS CTB16PC

Almost always, when channels 1-8 go out it is the fuse on that side of the card or there is no power getting to that side of the card.

Most likely you have done this but, have you plugged something directly into the outlet/extension cord/etc that side if the card is plugged into and verified that there is power...

Dan

Yes i have checked the power and fuses but i havent checked the cords coming in the box yet, but it was working just fine two nights ago so i just understand what it was, could it be anything else.

It is possible for it to be the card. There is a single chip that controls just that side of the card.... It could fail (but I do not recall that happening)... But there are any number of things that could happen and cause this.

However power supply is generally the cause and hopefully it is the cause because it is the easiest thing to fix!

Extension cords can stop working, outlets can stop working (1/2 is working but the other 1/2 isn't) Lets hope it is the power becuase if not then we will need to send a replacment card which will not be as quick as a power fix!

Dan

I have exactly the same thing happen to me today. Same card as the above. Swaped fuses with the other side to check if it was a fuse and still no 1-8. Fuses are good power is good as I have taken the controller indoors to test as well. Hardware util recognizes it no problem. Any other ideas what could be wrong???

Weird that I had this happen yesterday afternoon. Was testing lights on channel 1-8 that I had just connected to a controller and couldn't get them to come on. As a whim, I moved one to channel 9 and it worked. Came to the forum and found this post. Checked power - it was OK. Replaced fuse and 1-8 began working. This forum saved me a lot of time.

Figured out what was wrong with my controller. It seems when I wired it. I placed the neutral wire from the 1-8 side over one peg so it was on the 9-16 side.
You might check the neutral wire and make sure it's not Like I did. Hope this helps.

Ryan

I found out what was wrong with mine also, one of my plugs the wire inside of it was strip and hitting metal cause it to blow out everytime i tested them, i went thru about a dozen or so fuses, which is not cheap but cheaper than replacing the box.....

Thanks to everyone that helped out and Hope everyone has a GREAT lighting Season......

I'm having a power problem with 1-8 also.

I bought a CTB16PC - Ready To Go last Feb when the sale was going on. I never opened it and tested it until Dec. I know my bad.

When I plug power into side 1-8 power is going to the board threw the black wires but not coming out threw the white wires and the LED is not flashing. 9-16 work just fine. Fuse is good and I did a restart on the box by powering off, removing jumper, powering on, power off, replace jumper, power on again.

In my no knowledge of these boxes I'm assuming that it a bad connection and was hopping someone could point me in the correct direction.

Thanks.

Mark,

First know ye this. Power applied to the 9-16 side is tapped and goes through the transformer and powers the electronics (aka LED will blink or is solid). Where as power applied to the 1-8 side will only apply power to the Triacs and the loads you have connected to the triac when they are turned on.

Now depending if you have one or two cords attached to your controller. You might need to install a jumper if only using one power cord. Read the manual that came with your controller for diagram showing what terminals need the jumper.

Thanks for the reply Max. That was the problem.

I assumed that you could run either side independently if you wanted to. I put a power cord to both sides and I had power output on both sides.

Thanks.