Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help please

christmasfrenzy

Ok so i had my first controller hooked up, i just went out and bought a cat5 cable to run from the first controller to the 2nd one which is my new one, but its only finding one controller someone please help and let me know if there is something i have to do on the board or something in hardware.

so what do i have to do is set the old controller as unit number 2? or is there a way i can set the 2nd controller to unit 2

Because they both probably have the same Unit ID, You need to connect only one of them to the PC and then in the Hardware Utility Program:

In the Change Unit ID section (lower left):

Set Old Unit ID to "01", New Unit ID to "02", click Change Unit ID.

Dan

ok so i changed the original unit to 02, now im going to plug in the new unit which i think said came with a default address of 1, so it should find the two units now once i connect the cable am i right? and if it doesnt wats the next step.

If it does not find both then connect them one at a time to the computer and see if it finds them okay. If it does then there may be an issue with a Cat5 cable or connector. In addtion you can force a unit ID into the other one as you just did with this one.

Make sure that the Unit IDs are assigned in a way that they match what you expect things to do based on the Sequence File setup.

Dan

ok well i went into the hardware utility after changing my original unit to number 2, and i plugged in the new controller and it still only found 1 unit, being the number 2 unit. will it say it actually found 2 units.

christmasfrenzy wrote:

and the cable goin to the new unit i just bought yesterday its a 15 foot cat5e cable.

There can be two different kinds of Cat5 cable on the store shelves.

Is this new cable a "patch" cable or a "straight" cable?

A Cat5 "Patch" cable will not work since it has wires crossed internally. Only a Cat5 Straight wired cable will work.

(I have also seen brand new cables that were defective before.)

JBullard wrote:

christmasfrenzy wrote:
and the cable goin to the new unit i just bought yesterday its a 15 foot cat5e cable.

There can be two different kinds of Cat5 cable on the store shelves.

Is this new cable a "patch" cable or a "straight" cable?

A Cat5 "Patch" cable will not work since it has wires crossed internally. Only a Cat5 Straight wired cable will work.

(I have also seen brand new cables that were defective before.)

Ah actually aint it patch cable and crossover cable? And patch cable is what he wants.

yeah i got it to work thanx for all ur help guys i love this site. and its the patch cable that works.

they were both on the same address so i did what the guy told me to do is i plugged it directly into the new controller and set the new one as 1 and set the old one as 2, and wammmm oooooo it worked. thanx everyone for ur help.