Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting from PC to LOR controller with Lan cable

Guest guest

Hi all,
My controller LOR1602W is on the way and I have a connection question. I ordered the starter kit with the adapter too. My question is I plan on connecting from my laptop to the unit with a Lan Cable. Do I still need the adapter or can I run directly from my Lan on Laptop to Lan connection on the controller? I do not think my current laptop has a true seral connection on it. Thanks for any help. I am looking forward to a few good weeks of lighting during the season.

Flanman

flanman wrote:

Hi all,
My controller LOR1602W is on the way and I have a connection question. I ordered the starter kit with the adapter too. My question is I plan on connecting from my laptop to the unit with a Lan Cable. Do I still need the adapter or can I run directly from my Lan on Laptop to Lan connection on the controller? I do not think my current laptop has a true seral connection on it. Thanks for any help. I am looking forward to a few good weeks of lighting during the season.

LOR controllers are NOT ethernet devices, they merely use the same cables. You'll need the adapter, and if you don't have a serial port, a USB->serial adapter, which is also available on the LOR site.

-Tim

RZHILL wrote:

Takes a USB to Serial adapter, Best buy has them $39.95 Install it with the disc provided and the Boards work like a charm.

$25 at the LOR site, and fully tested to work with LOR.

-Tim