Light-O-Rama Forums

Window Suction Cup Hookss

Ti03

Right now I'm listening to my wife curse like a sailor about the suction cups she uses to hang our interior light in our big picture windows. These little suckers just wont stay up on the glass once she attempts to hook in the light wires. Theyre a mix of old and new ones but the problem seems to be universal, they just wont stay on even after cleaning the window. Any tips? (short of superglue or epoxy)

Thanks George, appreciate the feedback. I should add that the windows were cleaned in the area the suctioon cup was applied, the suction cup cleaned and mositened as well. A good amount of pressure was applied to push air out of the cup in an attempt to create a solid vacuum seal around the edges. Little bastards just seem to lose their grip after a time, must be some sort of bleed or leak we're not seeing, maybe its the brand, maybe suction cups just suck...

Have you tried crazy glue?

sorry, I've never been able get one of them things to stay for the entire season, my wife tried the plastic cling-on windows decoration a few years ago, they didn't stay either.

Hi Jim, thanks for the addition,

Glue may actually be the way to go but I'm thinking it would need to be a water soluble one, maybe like the white paste glue they use in elementary school arts and crafts, or the clear brown LePage paper glue I remember as a kid. One other candidate might be a glue stick like a Uhu

Krazy glue and Super glue are basically the same thing, a cyanoacrolate glue, which although its fast setting would probably create quite a hard mess on the window.

Most likely you'd have to razor blade the residue off at the end of the season and it would probably make the cups unuseable in subsequent seasons (assuming you could get them off in one piece that is). I may try some on a cup and a scrap piece of glass just to be sure, so I'll report back if i do. The question is still open for discussin at this point

Attached files 221730=12272-UHU-Glue-Stick.jpg