Light-O-Rama Forums

Complete newbie...need some help...

T. Bennett

So, I am getting ready to purchase a 16ch LOR Stater Kit and I decided to do some reading prior to purchase, so I have spent some hours here on the forum. I downloaded the S2 Suite in Demo mode to check out sequencing, and am completely oblivious.
I understand that it is far to late in the season to attempt my own sequencing, so i thought I would go to LOR Sequencing.com to see what a song would look like. Although I was able to download one (Rudolph), when I opened it in S2 Sequence editor and hit play to see it run, it said it couldn't find the music file (mp3), to go with the sequence.
I was under the impression that any downloaded sequence would include the music file, but apparently I was incorrect. How am I to know which song version the sequencer used, and how do I marry the song to sequence?

I don't even know if I am asking a valid question or not, I am the "I Don't know what I don't know" still. Any advice on all of this software would be greatly appreciated.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi There, Most of the sequences in LOR Sequences.com state who the artist is if you read the info to the left. (Although Not all) i guess you could try another sequences and see if the artist is listed and download the song. post your e-mail and i will see what i can do for you.

Thanks for the reply. I did see the artist name in the LORsequence.com site. Even after you get the song, how do you import to S2 and match to the sequence created? Is it imported as an mp3?

I guess the best question is, is there a step-by-step tutorial in sequencing a song? Also, what the heck is the difference between LOR Sequence Editor, show Editor, Easy Show builder?

I am definitely in the weeds with this one, I just don't know where to start.

Thanks again...

email: iphonebennett@gmail.com

Once you have the music file, click edit --> media file and you can add the music to the sequence.

If you google for sequences you will find many of them out there that do contain the music because it has been edited.

Now legally and ethically you should purchase your own copy of the music, even if you only use the one that you downloaded.

I will certainly have to give it a shot. Does anyone have additional recommendations on how to get right into the LOR world? I am going to start hanging lights this week, and hopefully the controller will come soon.
I am certainly going to tackle the sequencing right away, but otherwise what else are the must haves (besides extension cords), and must dos?

I will be running 16ch, and probably doing some mini-trees but not to sure about a mega tree this year. I love the arches, but the cost of getting started is steep, so maybe arches next year.
Looking through some sequences now, just on information overload, taking it all in...

First, welcome to the nightmare madness that is LOR, and the greatest group of just-not-right people on the planet!

Dale's right, most of the downloadable sequences have the title, artist, and album the clip is from.. if you get the same title but from a different album, the timing could be off significantly. Almost everyone uses 128kbps clips, but as long as you use the same bitrate as the sequence was created with, you'll be ok. If you're running just abt any version of Windows (and who isnt), in your music folder, right-click the (sort-by) name bar and choose Bit Rate (as in "Show Bit Rate").. you may have to click Choose Details and select bit rate. That will show you the BR the clip is encoded to.

After you've got S2 installed and a couple sequences downloaded (yeah, kinda waaaaay to late to try anything, unless it's reeeeallly short), load one up (preferably a small, short one (like the Coca Cola Song) and see how it's formatted.. Enable the Wavefrom view so you can see how the "pulses" match up to the song clip. One huge advantage of that is you can see right away if the track is skewed incorrectly (doesn't line up with the audio).

Probably the biggest Do is ask questions, closely followed by Dont get discouraged or panic.. this can (and most often does) get overwhelming reeeeally reeeally fast, just work with small bits of the song, and I recommend just 8 channels at a time to start. Dont try to load up 16 ch right away.. build on just 4 or 8 initially then add to that. Oh yeah, buy lots of extensions! If you think you have enough, double that..

Draw your house/yard on paper first, lay out what you want where.. what you want to blink when.. it really helps. Oh, did I mention ask questions? ;)

Be sure to put your location (preferably your city too) in your profile, there just might be some old LOR guy local that could help :)

Again, welcome to the nightmare... ok, I'm just kidding abt the nightmare part.. in nightmares, you only scream at night.. LOL

Guest wbottomley

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Almost everyone uses 128kbps clips, but as long as you use the same bitrate as the sequence was created with, you'll be ok.  If you're running just abt any version of Windows (and who isnt), in your music folder, right-click the (sort-by) name bar and choose Bit Rate (as in "Show Bit Rate").. you may have to click Choose Details and select bit rate.  That will show you the BR the clip is encoded to.

Really?

Read this post: http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=24057&forum_id=80&jump_to=220296#p220296

Of course, if you use music as Wave, then you don't have to worry about bit rates and stuff.

Makes it a lot easier for the timing.

Bob Hall wrote:

So, if I plan on using Part# mDM-MP3, the miniDirector with MP3 Player, I can't use .Wav's?

True

In this link: http://lightorama.com/Support-RippingMP3s.html it will have the correct information, the same applies to the miniDirector;
If you are using the ShowTime Director DC-MP3 you should rip the MP3s at 128 Kbps. Higher bit rate MP3s consume too much of the ShowTime Director DC-MP3’s microprocessor cycles and may interfere with the playing of your show.

This is the only situation where 128 Kbps is necessary.

Mountainwxman wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:
Almost everyone uses 128kbps clips, but as long as you use the same bitrate as the sequence was created with, you'll be ok. If you're running just abt any version of Windows (and who isnt), in your music folder, right-click the (sort-by) name bar and choose Bit Rate (as in "Show Bit Rate").. you may have to click Choose Details and select bit rate. That will show you the BR the clip is encoded to.

Really?

Yes, really.. what above is incorrect Bill??

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
TJ Hvasta wrote:
Almost everyone uses 128kbps clips, but as long as you use the same bitrate as the sequence was created with, you'll be ok. If you're running just abt any version of Windows (and who isnt), in your music folder, right-click the (sort-by) name bar and choose Bit Rate (as in "Show Bit Rate").. you may have to click Choose Details and select bit rate. That will show you the BR the clip is encoded to.

Really?

Yes, really.. what above is incorrect Bill??

I would think he was questioning the "Almost everyone uses 128 Kbps clips"

In my opinion, most long term users of this software will sequence and run their shows using wave files. And if MP3s are used they will be at a higher kbps then 128 unless the SD card MP3 director units are being used.

Hi all-

So, like T Bennett, I am a complete Newbie. In fact, my LOR isn't even here yet!!! But, I have started sequencing. I took a sequence off of a site and changed it (somewhat dramatically, but it was nice to have somewhere to start). I have posted it on youtube and I would love to hear what you guys think.

Please keep in mind that I used a picture of my house from 2 years ago. So, for instance, the candy canes that you see in the picture are not going there. They are represented by the drawings on the side of the driveway.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK (or if you have any suggestions--I have thick skin!)!!!