Top Posters In This Topic

• NoLor

• Frank Picozzi

• rwertz

• Don

rwertz wrote:

mnkyboy wrote:
with all due respect to the OP,

with thousands of us that use S2, and yes there are a few little items that does bug us, we understand it's not perfect..and the thousands of vantastic lights shows that will be turning on the next few nights using s2,

maybe this should be the sequencing tool you would be more comfortable with:

I don't think you meant that towards the OP. The Original Poster (Amie) hasn't replied to this thread since it was hijacked by VX's rant :)

Reg, you are correct... my appologies to the OP... (sorry bout that "Arnie"). 10 lashes with a set of 50ct red LEDS for me..

My comment was for VX.

The corrected opening to my post should have been as Follows......

With all due respect to the VX,

With the with thousands of us that use S2........

VirtualXmas wrote:

ChuckHutchings wrote:
Maybe Dan should hire VX to write the next version of the software. That should solve everything.

Can't contribute anything more than a personal attack, huh?

Let me ask you this, Chuck. What would happen if LOR went out of business?

What would you do at that point when (not if, when) you needed to re-install the LOR software and the mothership no longer responded?

I can just imagine the whining over at PC now, and I'll bet you'll be the first in line.

"OMG! My million channels of LOR have gone dead, what will I do now!?!?"

I apologize if I'm not genuflecting on the Altar of LOR as I apparently should be. LOR is just a company here to make money, not to be a religion. The minute they are no longer making money, they will move on to something else, and your thousands of dollars of LOR hardware will be nothing more than scrap metal, all because you can't reinstall a $100 piece of software.

Well maybe when you're finished playing "everyone look how much I know and how smart I am" you might go outside and set up a Christmas display.

VirtualXmas wrote:
What would you do at that point when (not if, when) you needed to re-install the LOR software and the mothership no longer responded?

That's an easy question to answer.

I would just use the "offline" function in the LOR Software to re-activate it, without relying on the "mothership" as you put it.

VirtualXmas wrote:

PaulXmas wrote:

Dan should close this thread before things get out of hand.

Why? Because someone has a different opinion then yours, it shouldn't be heard?

No because it is clear to me that you want to complain and don't want help.

No one put a gun to your head to buy anything.

Maybe cut your loses and sell your stuff on Ebay and like someone said maybe make a profit!

You run your company they way you want and let Dan run it they way he wants. I wish there were a lot more companies that were run this way.

OPEN YOUR EYES!

I agree with Annie on the channel configuration, when I went from 64 to 80 and started redoing my sequences, it's a nightmare and I also use Don's method, but it's still a burden and far too much of a chore and IT DOES take time away from sequencing or updating the older or someone elses sequence to your configuration.

And as for my gripes:

#1. the dang toolbar that slides over the sequencing area is a big pain in the butt for me. I WANT TO TURN IT OFF COMPLETELY, far too often it slides open on me when I am doing an edit and then I place the ON or EFFECT in the WRONG AREA and then have to go back and locate this error and FIX IT. Wasting more of my time. I truly detest NOT being able to close that toolbar completely down so it does not show upo at all.

#2. I'd like to see the VU Meter be able to move the slider buttons in REAL TIME so that when a song starts with a low volume, increases or crescendos you could move the slider around, making it a lot more accurate in sequencing the music using it. Instead of having to listen to the song a million times just to get one track set properly by chnging the time settings for each small segment of the music. This too would cut down on a lot of EXCESS sequencing requirements.

#3. When PRINTING the Channel Properties, it's okay, but it could go one better, currently it only prints the channels as they are set up in the sequencer, many of my controllers are not always in sequence in the software, so I get a printout of my controller/channel list such as unit 1/channel 6, then the next line may be unit 5/channel 8. I'd like the option of being able to print the controller and channel count in sequential order or in their current order. In sequential order, if I am having an issue with two items coming on, I could find out easily that I may have inadvertantly placed two items under the same controller/channel combination and could fix it. As it is now, I have to try and find each controller and go through the list sporadically looking for the info. Printing everything in order would help eliminate errors and mistakes that may have been made inadvertantly during sequencing/set up.

#4. Also in the Beat Wizard, Tapper Wizard, VU Wizard and even Midi Wizard, basically all the wizards, turning a channel ON or OFF is okay, but I'd actually sometimes like to set the channel I am turning on at 50% or lower intensity, sometimes I'd prefer to add an effect such as shimmer to a channel that's being turned on. Don't know if this is possible, but if so, I'd like to be able to use ANY and ALL EFFECTS when using the music wizards. I spend far too much time going back and editing it to the effect(s) or intensities I want to use in the channel.

#5. After using the music wizard(s), sometimes the beat is only a 1/4 or 1/2 in a timing box, when you go in to change the effect or intensity by clicking on it, the entire box fills up, I don't think this should happen either. When editing after using these wizards clicking in any PRE-USED timing box should stay EXACTLY as it was, not fill the entire box 100% full, if there is only a 1/4 filled timing box, then when I edit that, it should only fill to that 1/4, nothing more and nothing less.

Well those are my complaints/suggestions for the Sequence Editor.

kingsislandtechservices wrote:

more than likely wanting to get something for nothing, Im placing my money on the fact that if he rants enough and makes a big stink about things he'll get what he wants without having to pay for it. his whole issue is the tiered pricing of the software and he doesnt agree that it should cost "extra" for features he says takes minimal time to create in the code. maybe he thinks they'll give him what he wants so he will stop complaining.

I'm not all that fond of tier pricing either, but it's a fact of life. Anyone that has health insurance, car insurance or uses any aspect of the LOR software has been affected by tier pricing and it's not going to go away.

I started with the BASIC LICENSE myself, but as soon as I could *(and I am on UNEMPLOYMENT!) I paid to go ADVANCED! Why? because I wanted to use more controllers, more channels and more features that were not available to me in the BASIC package.

My philosphy(and others here will agree) on this whole debate is:

If you can't afford the software to do what you want to do with your display, you're in the wrong hobby!

And even though I may not have much of an income, this was not going to stop me from enjoying getting into this new hobby for me and every penny I have spent on controllers and software and even other additions such as my MBB FM Transmitter and LOR DC MP3 Showtime Director has all been money well spent and WORTH EVERY CENT I PAID FOR EVERYTHING!

Yes, the software has some issues and many of us agree with that, I've posted my 5 griipes too, but the main point is, the software gets the job done. Now I do agree that you should not have to be on-line to reload the software, companies that do that really irk me no end as well.

I should just be able to enter my registration code and UNLOCK the software without having to be on-line, make a phone call or anything else. So on that score I agree that if the site is down, you can't reload the program, even if you have your registration number and a downloaded copy of the software on your system.

This is one practice I would prefer to see STOPPED! And my reasoning is I HAVE OLDER SOFTWARE that is PAID FOR and REGISTERED, company now is either long gone or no longer supports the software, so now I can't even reload it because it wants to connect to the internet or have you call a phone number to "re-activate" it, even though I HAVE the REGISTRATION code. So I can fully understand someones frustration with this issue and I can completely agree with this practice needing to be stopped.

I will agree (as a comment, not in anger) with VX and Clay on the concern that the mothership may not always be available to register the software if LOR goes under. But that is the direction companies are going.

Once you've been around the forums a while, you'll realize that there will always be some way to make your lights blink with your LOR controllers. I wouldn't loose any sleep thinking you will be throwing your controllers away if something happens at LOR. For one thing, there are multiple partners in the company.

Color organs will solve all your problems guys... :D

I would love to see some code pounded out by VX fixing all the problems since this is all so trivial.

I still have my LOR1 available from 2005 in case the aliens leave and take the mother ship.
(and back then you bought the big enchilada... one level... just go big to begin with and there are no limitations)

I like ham... :cool:

terrypowerz wrote:

I would love to see some code pounded out by VX fixing all the problems since this is all so trivial.

I still have my LOR1 available from 2005 in case the aliens leave and take the mother ship.
(and back then you bought the big enchilada... one level... just go big to begin with and there are no limitations)

That's why I upgraded to the "ADVANCED LICENSE" ASAP when the funds were available. Didn't have enough to do it when I first got the software, so to do anything, I bought at least what I could afford at the moment, never complained BECAUSE I knew I was going to upgrade because I also KNEW WELL IN ADVANCE from working and toying with the software BEFORE I ever purchased it to what I would need or want to do in the future. If I had not, my show DEFINITELY WOULD NOT be where it is. So no regrets on the expenditures. At least now the software can be unlocked without having to be on-line with the newest releases, yet another EXCELLENT REASON to upgrade to the latest LOR Software suite!

Like stated and others have said the same thing from time to time: "If you can't afford it, you're in the WRONG hobby!" as well as if it becomes more of a job or chore and no longer enjoyable or not enjoyable, once again, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG HOBBY!

My 5 complaints above are just something I'd love to see LOR improve the software, if not, I'm not going to pout or throw a temper tantrum over it. I'll continue to use the software and sequence as is. I'd just like a few more options and ability to turn off some annoyances to me or use some other options during wizard use in the program. Nothing more, nothing less.

Orville wrote:

terrypowerz wrote:

That's why I upgraded to the "ADVANCED LICENSE" ASAP when the funds were available. Didn't have enough to do it when I first got the software, so to do anything, I bought at least what I could afford at the moment, never complained BECAUSE I knew I was going to upgrade because I also KNEW WELL IN ADVANCE from working and toying with the software BEFORE I ever purchased it to what I would need or want to do in the future. If I had not, my show DEFINITELY WOULD NOT be where it is. So no regrets on the expenditures. At least now the software can be unlocked without having to be on-line with the newest releases, yet another EXCELLENT REASON to upgrade to the latest LOR Software suite!

Like stated and others have said the same thing from time to time: "If you can't afford it, you're in the WRONG hobby!" as well as if it becomes more of a job or chore and no longer enjoyable or not enjoyable, once again, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG HOBBY!

My 5 complaints above are just something I'd love to see LOR improve the software, if not, I'm not going to pout or throw a temper tantrum over it. I'll continue to use the software and sequence as is. I'd just like a few more options and ability to turn off some annoyances to me or use some other options during wizard use in the program. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'll need to see a picture of your license!!!

terrypowerz wrote:

Color Organs? I haven't seen one of those things in years! Last one I saw I built when I was a kid back in the mid 1960's and I don't even think LOR was around then. Or if they were they may have been sort of like a Mr. Christmas box but without the sound/music unless you were using an AM radio. Even FM there wasn't that many stations around here in my region back then.

So if LOR was around, I'd figure they were basically like a 4, possibly 8 channel controller that just turned lights on/off and may have done some other effects, like flash or twinkle, and no music (no such things as MP3's back then either!) but not like what we have and do with it today.

Frank Picozzi wrote:

Orville wrote:
terrypowerz wrote:

Here we go again :D

Frank Picozzi wrote:

Orville wrote:

Here ya go Frank! LOL

Of course I "BLANKED OUT" the actual key registration. Although probably wouldn't work for anyone else since I already have the software on the 5 computer limit. But not taking any chances.

Attached files 223121=12350-LOR License-KEY REMOVED.jpg

Frank Picozzi wrote

Well maybe when you're finished playing "everyone look how much I know and how smart I am" you might go outside and set up a Christmas display.

Maybe if you had half a clue and stopped to think about what I'm saying, you might actually agree with me.

Instead of the object your post, and most of the others, seems to be to get cheap shots in.

It will be interesting to see the day when something happens and YOU can't use the software and hardware. Something about "I told you so" comes to mind.

In the mean time, you can continue walking around and bumping into walls.

Orville wrote:

Color Organs? I haven't seen one of those things in years! Last one I saw I built when I was a kid back in the mid 1960's and I don't even think LOR was around then. Or if they were they may have been sort of like a Mr. Christmas box but without the sound/music unless you were using an AM radio. Even FM there wasn't that many stations around here in my region back then.

So if LOR was around, I'd figure they were basically like a 4, possibly 8 channel controller that just turned lights on/off and may have done some other effects, like flash or twinkle, and no music (no such things as MP3's back then either!) but not like what we have and do with it today.

That was the vacuum tube version...a lot of pentodes doing the work of that 16 chip PIC...:)

VirtualXmas wrote:

Frank Picozzi wrote

Maybe if you had half a clue and stopped to think about what I'm saying, you might actually agree with me.

Instead of the object your post, and most of the others, seems to be to get cheap shots in.

It will be interesting to see the day when something happens and YOU can't use the software and hardware. Something about "I told you so" comes to mind.

In the mean time, you can continue walking around and bumping into walls.

Curious if you are doing a show this year, or just aiming towards next year, or going a different route altogether with software/hardware?

Simply a question, not looking for a smart a** reply or attack, just wondering since it looks like you just started using the software a few days ago, this is first year with a show, etc.

rwertz wrote:

I will agree (as a comment, not in anger) with VX and Clay on the concern that the mothership may not always be available to register the software if LOR goes under. But that is the direction companies are going.

I would say the trend is the opposite. Most of the companies I work with are moving to Open Source. The software isn't their revenue stream, but the hardware certainly is. The software is written as a necessity to selling the hardware, then they release what they've done so the community can take over and improve upon it.

DonFL wrote:

Curious if you are doing a show this year, or just aiming towards next year, or going a different route altogether with software/hardware?

Simply a question, not looking for a smart a** reply or attack, just wondering since it looks like you just started using the software a few days ago, this is first year with a show, etc.

I built a Mega tree and several smaller trees, and purchased a sequence. I was going to buy 2-3 more controllers and several more sequences.

But my experience last weekend with the registration server has put all that into question now. I will not put anymore money into LOR or LOR related products until active software registration is no longer part of the LOR software.

The fact that LOR went all weekend with a failed license server to me shows that this company isn't ready for prime time. It only takes 10 minutes to write a little piece of code to send a test registration through their server and send a text message to a cell phone should it fail. This is a piece of critical infrastructure to their business and it's customers.

Active registration of any kind is an Achilles heal to any product. There are many other license schemes that don't rely on any type of "mothership" to be available. After I give a company my money, and they give me my license, I shouldn't ever have to be concerned about their continued existence in order to use that product. That's not the case with LOR.