Light-O-Rama Forums

You call what you got a MegaTree???

TJ Hvasta

Personally if they are "static", which most are that are set up in cityscapes and Sea World is as well. I have never considered them a true "mega tree" unless they are animated in some fashion. But they do have that "awe" and "wow" effect just due to their size.

I'd rather see an animated 6'-20' mega tree as opposed to one that is static, I personally get more enjoyment from watching a spinning/animated mega tree of smaller stature that keeps and holds my interest over anything "static" that won't hold my (and others) attention for very long.

Just something mesmerizing about animated mega trees. Now if they are animated, then those monster mega trees would be more of an attention getter and hold ones attention just to see what is going to happen next.

Those monster light strings look nice, but give me animation over static anytime!

Orville wrote:

Personally if they are "static", which most are that are set up in cityscapes and Sea World is as well.  I have never considered them a true "mega tree" unless they are animated in some fashion.  But they do have that "awe" and "wow" effect just due to their size. . . . .

Now if they are animated, then those monster mega trees would be more of an attention getter and hold ones attention just to see what is going to happen next.

Ok, so is that our challenge? We get a group of us together, pick a venue, and set up the world's largest animated mega tree. With all the talent and creative thinking here, I bet we could set a world's record. (if one exist)

Scott T wrote:

Orville wrote:
Personally if they are "static", which most are that are set up in cityscapes and Sea World is as well. I have never considered them a true "mega tree" unless they are animated in some fashion. But they do have that "awe" and "wow" effect just due to their size. . . . .

Now if they are animated, then those monster mega trees would be more of an attention getter and hold ones attention just to see what is going to happen next.

Ok, so is that our challenge? We get a group of us together, pick a venue, and set up the world's largest animated mega tree. With all the talent and creative thinking here, I bet we could set a world's record. (if one exist)

LOL. Could be. Now the Empire State Building comes to mind for this feat or perhaps the Eiffel Tower in France for another site? Not sure what the tallest structure in the US or in the Workd is today. Just know it used to be the "Empire State Building", but with all the new technology and other stuff, I'm no longer sure which building or type structure now holds the Worlds' Height record. So that's where we'd need to do it, if we did it. I can handle ground level, forget about the heights though, just not my thing now. Never bothered me when I was a lot younger, but now, just can't handle them, I do well on a step ladder just to get my own decor up!:shock:

csf wrote:

Wasn't there some one that had a 70 foot mega tree on there lawn?

I think you're correct. But I don't remember who it was.

I thought about buliding one about a mile high (5,280'), but since I'm in two flight paths I don't think that would go over too well.:D

Not too sure the HOA would appreciate it either.:P

In 2005 we revived winterfest for one season at Kings Island then owned by paramount pictures so on the eiffel tower we made a tree from the observation deck to the ground. our star "topper" was made from the paramount logo. the height to the observation deck is 320 ft

Attached files 222888=12334-2726609999_53c8df2b21.jpg

Orville wrote:

Personally if they are "static", which most are that are set up in cityscapes and Sea World is as well.

I never knew a light show that went to music is static. Sea World SanDiego generally will have the "tree" dance to music that is played on a local radio station

Edit - more info...
Skytower Tree of Lights -- SeaWorld and San Diego radio station KyXy 96.5 present a
special musical and visual attraction again this year with the SeaWorld Holiday Tree of
Lights Presented by KyXy. Each night at 6 p.m. Nov. 24–Dec. 25, the lights on the 320-foot
Skytower will dance, flash, swirl and glow for five minutes synchronized to holiday music
that can be heard in the park and simulcast to all of San Diego on KyXy 96.5 FM.

Dr. Jones wrote:

Orville wrote:
Personally if they are "static", which most are that are set up in cityscapes and Sea World is as well.

I never knew a light show that went to music is static. Sea World SanDiego generally will have the "tree" dance to music that is played on a local radio station

Edit - more info...
Skytower Tree of Lights -- SeaWorld and San Diego radio station KyXy 96.5 present a
special musical and visual attraction again this year with the SeaWorld Holiday Tree of
Lights Presented by KyXy. Each night at 6 p.m. Nov. 24–Dec. 25, the lights on the 320-foot
Skytower will dance, flash, swirl and glow for five minutes synchronized to holiday music
that can be heard in the park and simulcast to all of San Diego on KyXy 96.5 FM.

The one in Orlando is (or was) static. It just lit up, didn't do anything. Haven't been out that way in several years now, so it may have changed at the Orlando FL Sea World. Anyone know?

Orville wrote:

The one in Orlando is (or was) static. It just lit up, didn't do anything. Haven't been out that way in several years now, so it may have changed at the Orlando FL Sea World. Anyone know?

In the orlando sentinel today:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-seaworld-holidays-competition-20101125,0,2508966.story

kingsislandtechservices wrote:

Orville wrote:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-seaworld-holidays-competition-20101125,0,2508966.story

Hmmm, very interesting. Wonder what product they are using to animate their 3 story trees to music? Didn't see any mention of how they did it, just that the trees are synched to Holiday music.

Of course, this now means I've got to find some way to pay those (horrid, overpriced-{my opinion}) admission fees so the wife and I could go check it out. Don't know if we'll get to do it or not. But I'd sure like to see what they've done this year (2010).

Orville wrote:

kingsislandtechservices wrote:
Orville wrote:

Hmmm, very interesting. Wonder what product they are using to animate their 3 story trees to music? Didn't see any mention of how they did it, just that the trees are synched to Holiday music.

Of course, this now means I've got to find some way to pay those (horrid, overpriced-{my opinion}) admission fees so the wife and I could go check it out. Don't know if we'll get to do it or not. But I'd sure like to see what they've done this year (2010).

In my humble opinion, if you are going to spend the $$ on one Christmas related park admission, it has to be Hollywood Studios, and the Osborne Display.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/hollywood-studios/special-events/osborne-family-spectacle-of-dancing-lights/

I'm partial, as it was the visit last year that had my wife uttered those (now regretted?..:D) memorable words "so can you do something like this at our house?..", and the next day had me visiting the LOR website for the first time...

DonFL wrote:

...I'm partial, as it was the visit last year that had my wife uttered those (now regretted?..:D) memorable words "so can you do something like this at our house?..",

Wiser words were never spoken by females ever!! Don, you could always tell her "remember the saying: be careful what you wish for.."