Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Station

captainron19

OK so here is my dilemma and need some input. Last year I used 96.1 fm for my show.... station had a lot of static and a faint transmission of a country western station and my transmission was perfect - about 3-4 blocks away.

Yesterday I checked the station on my car radio and noticed that the country western station is now coming through almost crystal clear on the radio (thinking the radio station boosted their signal or something)

I just connected my FM Transmitter and went out to the car and did a test while music was playing on the computer. Came over loud and clear and I seemed to get the same distance as I got last year when driving down my block.

So my question is.... what would you do?

Keep the same channel or change to a different one?

Changing to a different channel is easy except I will have to change all of my signs that I made (and I really don't wanna do that unless I have to)

jimswinder wrote:

check this website to see if 96.1 is really not used in your area:

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant

It will tell you the best frequency to use...

Thanks for the link. Awesome, simply enter your zip code and a list comes up. I never noticed that all FM radio stations ended in an odd number.

My FM transmitter isn't arriving until tomorrow, so I have no experience with them yet, and I haven't listened to the radio in years. Maybe my DH will know more about this, I know he listens to the radio. I'll have to show him the list.

Linda McDonald wrote:

Maybe my DH will know more about this, I know he listens to the radio.

DH...does that stand for "Dumb Husband"?????? :)

I did put my zip in the radio locator and both of the "Best" stations to use did actually have a transmission on them when I listened out front in the car but not the clearest.

The weird thing is.... I looked up the call letters of the station that is coming over clearer this year on my normal FM Channel I use (96.1) and they are nearly 90 miles away (no where near us)

But like I said when the FM Transmitter is on with music from my PC that is the only thing I am hearing out front and up to 3-4 blocks away (no interference whatsoever) so I think I may just stick with it...... really dont think I have the time to re-do my signs especially since they are electric light up ones.

Unless someone thinks I shouldnt chance it and change over

Actually here is a graphic I got off the web of that station's coverage area. The Star is where I am located so I guess you can say I am on their "Fringe" coverage area as per the legend they have on the map.

Attached files 219482=12181-Graphic1.JPG

captainron19 wrote:

I did put my zip in the radio locator and both of the "Best" stations to use did actually have a transmission on them when I listened out front in the car but not the clearest.

As long as YOU are getting a clear reception of your transmission, why change?

jimswinder wrote:

captainron19 wrote:

Thats exactly what I was thinking.... I guess I was just terrified from hearing the station on their so clear at first..... stress of the season!

captainron19 wrote:

.... stress of the season!

No Kidding!!!!

I thought the holiday season was supposed to be fun?!?!!? LOL

1511761.GIF

jimswinder wrote:

captainron19 wrote:

I would change it right away! See,

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum81/23667.html

I'm sure you don't want problems. BUT if anyone calls the station or 888-TELL-FCC, to complain, you will be screwed! If someone calls and says they are picking up a cross of two stations. One western, and one Christmas, you will get a fine for infringing on there space. It only takes one! Personally, I would just change!

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Just my opinion...BUT why change?

1) Slim to none that someone within 3-4 blocks of him is listening to that station
2) Who listens to their radio at home?? in their car yes, but not when they get home
3) If they are within 3-4 blocks of his house, he KNOWS the lights are there and what radio station he is broadcasting on...though he could be a Scrooge and complain
4) If his transmitter is within the wattage that he can legally use, I doubt they would fine him, maybe, perhaps warn him and ask him to change frequencies

again...just my opinion...

I agree with Jim, "It's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission".
I think the most you would get is a warning.

jimswinder wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Just my opinion...BUT why change?

1) Slim to none that someone within 3-4 blocks of him is listening to that station
2) Who listens to their radio at home?? in their car yes, but not when they get home
3) If they are within 3-4 blocks of his house, he KNOWS the lights are there and what radio station he is broadcasting on...though he could be a Scrooge and complain
4) If his transmitter is within the wattage that he can legally use, I doubt they would fine him, maybe, perhaps warn him and ask him to change frequencies

again...just my opinion...

Although jimswinder makes a great point. My question is, "Who wants to change in the middle?" Just change now to prevent the risk!

rstately wrote:

I agree with Jim, "It's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission".

I don't know if it is BETTER...but it is certainly EASIER!!!

1511515.GIF

"Who wants to change in the middle?"

and ny_yankee makes a valid point...

rstately wrote:

Isn't easier better?:(

if I remember my Jr. High math correctly...

a=b therefore b=a

so easier may equal better

but I don't think better always equals easier... :)

Well I think I will just leave it as is for now... to be honest I dont think anyone around here listens to that station = I just tried it on a radio inside my house and I picked up absolutely nothing but static - the only time I can hear anything is in the car and as I drive around , their signal occasionally has static in it

jimswinder wrote:

Linda McDonald wrote:

DH...does that stand for "Dumb Husband"?????? ;)

OMG, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I think I'm going to like this forum.

Linda McDonald wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
Linda McDonald wrote:

OMG, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I think I'm going to like this forum.

hmmmmm...she didn't say no... :shock:

jimswinder wrote:

Linda McDonald wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
Linda McDonald wrote:

hmmmmm...she didn't say no... :shock:

I didn't hear a "NO"