Light-O-Rama Forums

Streaming Video?

jjdurrant

jjdurrant wrote:

Anyone streaming video of their display to the Internet?

I am thinking of doing this with a wireless camera.. just not sure where I would mount it across the street.

I was going to give it a try...but I was going to mount it to my house so you could see peoples reactions...

jjdurrant wrote:

Anyone streaming video of their display to the Internet?

I am thinking of doing this with a wireless camera.. just not sure where I would mount it across the street.

Your going to put it in the crazy guys yard?? What if, ummmm.... LOL. Oh boy he can really pay you back for this one. :P

Definitely use something like Justin.tv and not your own bandwidth. I shared the output of our 4 channel security system with some people from another forum(non-Christmas light forum) and before I knew it my bandwidth was maxed out. :)

Good luck!

From any of these free streaming services, can embed the video player/stream in your own webpage.

So far these are the one mentioned in this thread.
ustream
TinCam
Justin.tv

Mostly chewing gum, but sometimes a little duct tape.

If you use a CCTV camera ( thats my preferred method) you run siamese cable for power and video to the cam, and feed that into your pc capture card. you can go a couple hundred feet with no issue.

If your using a webcam, run it to a laptop (wifi across the street works for some)

I usually mount mine on top of my mailbox facing the house. but this year I may try the neighbors window - problem is they have not moved in yet. I think it would be sort of strange "Hi, im your new cRAZY WACK JOB guy across the street - welcome to the neighborhood, can I put a camera in your window ? "

gizmomkr wrote:

I think it would be sort of strange "Hi, im your new cRAZY WACK JOB guy across the street - welcome to the neighborhood, can I put a camera in your window ? "

My neighbor caught me in her driveway, on top of a 8 foot ladder, with a mini tripod and a video camera setup recording my lights. She open the garage door, "scared the $#!^ out of me. She said "excuse me!, what are you doing!" I turn and said, "It's me Scott from across the street, I'm video taping my lights". She laughed and told me she loved the lights, but she thought somebody randomly just stopped by and was taking pictures or something.

So hopefully they will understand while you may be crazy, you are not harmful. Ha ha

• The topic was locked